• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I owe the IRS $6000.00

ThinkRight

Just got a letter from the IRS saying they changed my return adding $24,000.00 in income and I owe more than $6000.00 dollars in back taxes and penalties !
Some company in Chattanooga has my SS# on a W-2 that was reported to the IRS.
Should I get a lawyer ?
Or call the company and ask for the $24,000.00 dollars and pay the taxes ?
I think I have been Identity Thieved !

CanuckSigns

Contact the IRS first, tell them you have never worked in Chattanooga and they should be taking this up with the employer, not you. if you still have issues, time to lawyer up.

Stealth Ryder

I had the same thing happen several years ago, I am still arguing with the IRS... I never get the same person when I call and have to start over each time... Years later I still have no resolution and they keep tacking on interest charges that are stupidly high... They never contact me, ever... They have never tried to collect.... I just keep getting letters every 6 months stating the new interest charges, not one rep has ever attempted to help me... I don't know what to do anymore.....

Techman

Contact the IRS first, tell them you have never worked in Chattanooga and they should be taking this up with the employer, not you. if you still have issues, time to lawyer up.

Nope ,, doesn't work. IRS will say prove you didn't work there. IRS has not a single care about who did what or where. They want the money. You have to do the work to prove otherwise. I got the trophy for a win just like this myself.. So I can testify how it will go down.

Find the CPA for the company and demand a zero W2 form. There are ways to get the CPA name. If he refuses then you get to call the state CPA board and file a complaint. I guarantee you will get some satisfaction real fast.

That is the fastest and easiest way to get it settled. Then when the zeroed w2 shows up the IRS will reverse that companies returns and make them pay up with a nice set of late fees and penalties.
Then when that is all done you can file an errors and omissions insurance claim on the CPA.

binki

Get a CPA or EA and let them do the leg work. You need to get it unraveled before the next tax year comes due and you get hit again.

visual800

CPA!...this is why I have one. I would not venture into this alone. they know just who to call and what to do. Right when you think you cannot justify having a CPA this will make it all worth it.

John L

They probably have an illegal on payroll and your SS# was just arbitrarily pulled for the fake paperwork trail.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is this a company who is claiming you worked as an employee for them..... or are they saying you didn't report $24,000 worth of income for services as a sign person. In other words a possible customer of yours ??

Some companions purchasing work from vendors have several business names and will send out this stuff by another name and you can get caught in the middle.

ThinkRight

Is this a company who is claiming you worked as an employee for them..... or are they saying you didn't report $24,000 worth of income for services as a sign person. In other words a possible customer of yours ??

Some companions purchasing work from vendors have several business names and will send out this stuff by another name and you can get caught in the middle.
They sent a W-2 to the IRS with My SS# in 2011
I did not work for them, I have never worked in Chattanooga.
The letter from the IRS has an adjusted gross income with that companies name as the W-2 filer.
Like others have said , either an employee snatched my number or I have been Identity Thieved .
Now the IRS is involved.

JgS

Sorry to hear it. I've been there. The IRS will want you to prove that you didn't work for that company. But, keep calling them and explaining the situation and update them with your progress. Be Nice, and they will be nice to you. In the meantime contact the company. Maybe it was a mistake they can fix. If they don't, get a lawyer.

Techman

The IRS will want you to prove that you didn't work for that company. But, keep calling them and explaining the situation and update them with your progress.

The IRS is not all touchy feel nice about collecting money. As I posted above. His best easiest chance is to get a zero w2 from them and send it to IRS. Just go over to their office and get one or go to their CPA office and demand one,. No one can prove a negative.. Once the zero w2 shows up the IRS will go after the company for the back taxes etc..

John L

This is not good.
And why would a Security company not verify SS#'s ?
I am a little worried.

Just guessing of course, but it's possible the Security company can't (or maybe won't) put together a dependable work force using only people that are legally employable in our country. Maybe to offer a price advantage over another competing company. Maybe to squeak a profit sideways out of a failing economy, industry, and/or market. Or maybe just shameless greed.

Verification is provided by form I-9.

Call the company, explain it to them, ask them if you ever worked there? If you "still did", they may owe you some back pay, overtime hours, unemployment, sick leave, unused smoke breaks, etc etc etc Might be the best thing to ever happen to you.

Mosh

The IRS will work with you. Contact the company first, I bet it will be an easy fix.

All you people sound like you are the ones hording guns and ammo waiting for the IRS to come for you....you are the reason for the gun and ammo shortages, not the governemt!!

The IRS is ran by people just like you and me....geeze!!! Preppers get a life!!!

Mike F

A quick google of that company brings up a page for Walden Security in Chattanooga, looks like Metropolitan is their parent company. It also looks like they've got some government contracts and certifications, including with the Department of Homeland Security. I'd contact the feds in addition to the IRS and a CPA, I'm sure they'd be interested to know about this since whoever was using your SS# might have ended up with some government security clearances they're obviously not supposed to have.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
The IRS will work with you. Contact the company first, I bet it will be an easy fix.

All you people sound like you are the ones hording guns and ammo waiting for the IRS to come for you....you are the reason for the gun and ammo shortages, not the governemt!!

The IRS is ran by people just like you and me....geeze!!! Preppers get a life!!!

AMEN brother!

i had a problem with the IRS before with a wrong social number, called and had it fixed within two phone calls.

don't call on monday