• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think i may have made the biggest mistake ever buying a new Mutoh

heyskull

The 1641 is such a great looking machine. bummer it's giving you that much trouble. Did you get rid of your 1604? I have a 1638x I just acquired, but I'm keeping my 1614 as a backup.
Still got my 1604 in our workshop. Might be bringing it back into the print room.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
you should consider paying someone to create some media profiles for you.
Running around the internet looking for profiles and complaining there's none wont fix your issue.

The longer you take trying to test profiles the more the printer sit there not producing work.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, bummer on all the problems. I think what a lot of people are hinting at is that it’s likely that the lack of profiles isn’t the main issue. It sounds more like your machine has adjustment/alignment or encoder issues.

You already got the bi-directional alignment done which was probably a major cause if your issues. You asked about switching to unidirectional and that wouldn’t be a specific profile, instead you’re using any profile you want and then in the rip telling the printer to print in unidirectional mode instead of bi. Unidirectional will minimize head height and bidirectional alignment issues but it won’t fix feed related problems (striping or banding) and I don’t believe it alters the profile at all in terms of ink loading and overall color.

I’m really leaning towards you just needing to run all the alignments available and then start worrying about the profiles. If you’re loading a profile for any general vinyl it’s probably going to work across most brands just fine. The white point might be off and you might have minor issues on color but I doubt you’ll see the type of stuff you’re describing.

Btw I’m not an expert at all and I’ve owned mutohs but not the model you have

funprint

Agree with Hybrid design.
Once all your alignments etc are done the rest is profile related which will fix your ink density problems and bring colours into line. Which in turn will also reduce your ink costs as well as getting the best quality print.
Not all printers and rips have canned profiles available and not all of them will be any good anyway.
We run 3 Mutohs and couldn't be happier.
Not sure but something here might help: https://mutoh.thinkific.com/

Ben Rabinoff

Owner/Creative Director
I purchased a new Mutoh Xpertjet 1641SR two months ago to replace our 14 year old Mutoh Valuejet 1604.
This so far has turned into the biggest issue ever even though basically it is still based on the original Valuejet.
Their are very little print profiles for this machine from such suppliers as 3M, Arlon, Avery, Etc..
Of what profiles I have the media is either applying to much ink or is producing a sub standard print.
The ink tank/bags do not show correctly how much ink is still available and will completley run out even though it is showing 30% full.
Ink supply for this machine in the UK is very limited and my machine has been sitting for nearly a week switched on (as you cannot put it into standby when tanks are empty) due to supply issues. Which as usual here is blamed on Covid or lack of lorry drivers!
I have blurry prints and although better colour gamut and good matching the prints are still not as high quality as the 1604.
My 1604 is in storage across in my unit (turned on) and I am seriously thinking about sending this back and reinstating it.

This is a buyer beware post as I do not want other business owners to fall into this trap.
Mutoh are not helping and the reseller we have bought of (Mutohs only dealer in the UK) are under educated in the machine and Onyx RIP it was supplied with.

SC
We recently purchased this printer as well and although we have been able to get some really quality prints using this machine, we are experiencing some issues and are also receiving little to no help from our vendor or Mutoh.

One thing we discovered is that if use the Avery 1105 profile on a standard white vinyl (not Avery media) the quality is very decent. Same with the Arlon profiles provided through Sai Cloud.

Keep in mind that the printers heat settings are only adjusted through the driver option I’m Flexi, regardless of changing the settings in the print manager. Just a word of advice of changing any setting because it is extremely confusing.

I want to ask if you happen to notice a different issue that we are having. We have noticed that the core rollers or flange rollers are coming out of our media when loaded onto our machine… if you look at the back of your machine you will notice a warning label saying good and not good. This label depicts the flange rollers metal torque piece scraping against the rollers.

We have tried everything and have found that the media coming off the rollers is causing head strikes… our vendor and Mutoh say that have not seen this problem but we have tested various media types and the flange rollers can easily spin inside the media. All media we use has this issue where the rollers come out of the core with every revolution of the media.

Would love to hear if you are still using machine and have this issue as well.

heyskull

We recently purchased this printer as well and although we have been able to get some really quality prints using this machine, we are experiencing some issues and are also receiving little to no help from our vendor or Mutoh.

One thing we discovered is that if use the Avery 1105 profile on a standard white vinyl (not Avery media) the quality is very decent. Same with the Arlon profiles provided through Sai Cloud.

Keep in mind that the printers heat settings are only adjusted through the driver option I’m Flexi, regardless of changing the settings in the print manager. Just a word of advice of changing any setting because it is extremely confusing.

I want to ask if you happen to notice a different issue that we are having. We have noticed that the core rollers or flange rollers are coming out of our media when loaded onto our machine… if you look at the back of your machine you will notice a warning label saying good and not good. This label depicts the flange rollers metal torque piece scraping against the rollers.

We have tried everything and have found that the media coming off the rollers is causing head strikes… our vendor and Mutoh say that have not seen this problem but we have tested various media types and the flange rollers can easily spin inside the media. All media we use has this issue where the rollers come out of the core with every revolution of the media.

Would love to hear if you are still using machine and have this issue as well.
Hi Ben

I managed (very easily it turned out) to get the printer replaced for a Roland versa express RF-640. Which prints beautifully and has access to a little t of profiles supported by Roland and various media suppliers.
Mutoh would not acknowledge me at all and the only profiles were made by the supplying dealers which were not very good.
The media head strikes is a big issue on this mutoh and a have spoke to a few owners (of which there are very few) having similar problems.
On a further note which is strange is I have not experienced a single head strike on the Roland machine and if I have any issues Roland will contact me directly within a day and sometimes the same day.

SC