• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I will be a vegetarian...

Pat Whatley

I would dare say you'll be eating veggie, algae and bug burgers long before you see test tube burgers in the marketplace.

There is a poop burger out there too, just don't look for it on grocery store shelves.

Zazzess

Monster burgers would turn us monsters sooner than we think...
Is zumbie reality coming soon ?!? :omg:

WildWestDesigns

Read this...

As someone who currently eats meat, I think this is the reason I want to go vegetarian (besides killing animals, of course).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ng-soon-Lab-grown-meat-needed-feed-world.html

I have a hard time with accepting UK results as they have been against GMOs for a long time and GMOs are so involved in our foodstuffs and we haven't had 3 heads pop up or green people etc.

I think with something like this, people put too much emphasis on the negative. As someone that is still heavily involve in agriculture, I don't really have a problem with it. Taste might initially not be as good, but that will change as it is refined.

Have to do something though, science is about the only way that we haven't starved from lack of food in the 1700s (or somewhere around that time until the "science" of farming had changed to improve efficiency).

signswi

Look up "meat glue" on YouTube.

American mass food is really, really gross but more important, to me, is that it's relatively tasteless. Grass-fed, open range meat is so much better tasting and vegetables grown in the proper seasons and geolocations with organic techniques have tons more flavor.

Not to mention how our grocery system restricts and homogenizes the access we have to fruits and vegetables. Here, you get one banana type to eat when there are thousands of different types! Five potatos, when there are hundreds! Tasteless water tomatoes that we can grow super fast instead of amazingly tasty heirloom varieties! Etc.

I'm not a very "crunchy" person compared to some but if something tastes better and won't kill me, I'm for that thing. That often means more traditional and varied approaches then we're used to in our mass supply chain American system. I also think the fact that we allow our food industry, especially the meat industry, to effectively self-regulate is insanity. The FDA has no teeth and almost our entire food safety system is on the honor system. We also ban things that prove deadly instead of requiring new products to pass testing first like the EU does, which is much safer in the age of chemical additives/substitutes. Instead it gets field tested on the uninformed public and once enough people die or get cancer something *might* be done. Hell we can't even get a national BPA ban in baby products.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Really ??

Isn't soda, artificial flavoring, preservatives, nitrates, food dyes, artificial coloring, added sodium, sugar, corn syrups, to margarine and all the fake foods we're already eating just that.... fake ?? These studies are only to promote buying and eating their products. There's nothing scientific or good about these things. In fact, how many chemicals and bullchit are you ingesting when you go on some of these lose weight programs where you drink a can of this or eat this mystery meat crap ??

WrapperX

Grocery, like anything, is all about business partnerships. If whoever is making this pseudo meat gets in good with the FDA and if the major grocery stores think they can sell it - you will see it on the shelves.

And the reason you don't see the hundreds of potato types or tomato types or any variety in a store is because the store doesn't want to stock hundereds of potato types, tomato types, etc. Same way sign shops generally don't stock EVERY single brand of vinyl. It's more inventory that will most likely go rotten before it sells. People, as a whole, are like any flock or heard of animal. Eat what your given, buy this b/c it's easiest to acquire, and please please please - don't attempt to think for yourselves. There are people who are paid to think for you. Move along - nothing to see here...

WildWestDesigns

Really ??

Isn't soda, artificial flavoring, preservatives, nitrates, food dyes, artificial coloring, added sodium, sugar, corn syrups, to margarine and all the fake foods we're already eating just that.... fake ?? These studies are only to promote buying and eating their products. There's nothing scientific or good about these things. In fact, how many chemicals and bullchit are you ingesting when you go on some of these lose weight programs where you drink a can of this or eat this mystery meat crap ??

If you look at the UK's studies on GMOs in foodstuffs, they talk about horrible stuff that can happen if you have a diet of GMO crops. I find it funny that it coincides with helping their local growers by putting trade bans on imports that are even remotely stored with GMO crops.

Even if you were to crow vegetables from seeds (which I do), you are still getting more often then not GMO crops. It's just the way it is nowadays.

HulkSmash

Really ??

I have to agree with G here......

It's bad to eat meat, but ok to drink 4 cokes a day?!!?!?!?!?!? Do you know that the "veggie meats" Have so much sodium in it that people have died from eating them trying to ween off meats..........

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Read this...

As someone who currently eats meat, I think this is the reason I want to go vegetarian (besides killing animals, of course).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ng-soon-Lab-grown-meat-needed-feed-world.html

Scratch a philosophical vegetarian and you'll find a hypocrite more often than not. Mutant meat may be someone's idea of fine dining, but not my own. I shudder at the thought at sitting down to a couple of braised mutant-chops.

Why is it that vegetarians strive so hard to make whatever it is they do consume resemble meat as much as possible? Vegiweenies, vegiburgers, vegisteaks, etc. Why don't they revel in the stuff they swill down for just what it is? Why must it be fashioned into forms resembling the very things that they claim to find to repulsive?

I long to meet a philosophical vegetarian with type I diabetes. Or a Jain with a tapeworm.

Animals slaughtered for food exist for just that reason. If they were not destined for slaughter they would not exist in the first place. They would not be romping around in Elysian pastures or appearing in Walt Disney productions, they simply would not be.

You do realize that there are no wild cattle on the planet? None, nada, zip, zero. The last wild cow was dispatched in Poland sometime in the 17th century. All cattle extant today, every one of them, are the product of human directed selective breeding and husbandry. In order to eat them. Or milk them for a while and then eat them.

Dicking with the food supply isn't going to save a single critter that needs, or doesn't need, saving. Unctuous moralists proposing doing so are no different than any other zealot pushing its particular theology on others.

There may be some sound reasons for growing mutant meat but saving animals isn't one of them.

WrapperX

This post has inspired me to go home and grill me some meat! Some good old fashioned, force fed, specifically bred, and penned up awaiting slaughter to only end up in my grocierystore - meat! YUMMY!!!

OldPaint

ill put it this way, as a "farm boy" in my youth, killing chickens, turkeys, pigs & cows is not something foreign to me. deer, rabbit, quail & pheasant hunting, killing and cleaning also is included in this. i learned early to survive with these skills and i was good at all of them.
now that being said, most here who are MEAT EATERS, if they had to KILL, GUT, DRESS OUT, BUTCHER selected cuts that you love to eat......YOU WOULDNT BE A MEAT EATER.
getting it from a living breathing creature, to take its life, bleed all the blood from it, remove the intestines, and take off the skin.........so you could have that great steak/chops/ribs etc ...............you all would be VEGETARIANS. so untill you can walk into a slaughter house, without puking up that micky d burger you had for lunch, i would not be dissin people who DONT EAT MEAT....for a lot of reasons. for supper last nite:
we had "stovetop cabbage rolls"!!! i fry onions, garlic, shredded cabbage, till it is done, add rice & pasta sauce and TOFU CRUMBLES!!!! dont dis em till you eat em.

WildWestDesigns

so untill you can walk into a slaughter house, without puking up that micky d burger you had for lunch, i would not be dissin people who DONT EAT MEAT....for a lot of reasons.

Been there, done that, sublimated the shirt.

we had "stovetop cabbage rolls"!!! i fry onions, garlic, shredded cabbage, till it is done, add rice & pasta sauce and TOFU CRUMBLES!!!! dont dis em till you eat em.

The irony is man isn't a roughage eater by nature. Hell, we don't even have a usable cecum any more. The closest thing to that that we have (some people don't, my niece doesn't) is an appendix. We derive the nutrients from roughage mainly by consuming animals that are able to consume roughage efficiently (cows and in some cultures, horses although cows are more efficient then horses). Otherwise, roughage is intestinal cleaner.

My sister and my niece both tried really hard to be pure veggie eaters. They both had to go back (very slowly as meat did make them sick since they were off meat for so long) to meat because they were deficient big time even with them taking supplements to make up for not having meat in their diet.

Pat Whatley

When you can walk into a slaughter house and all you can think of is how to sneak a whole hog out the door and into a barbecue pit does that mean you've earned the right to talk about people who only eat tofu?

OldPaint

Been there, done that, sublimated the shirt.

The irony is man isn't a roughage eater by nature. Hell, we don't even have a usable cecum any more. The closest thing to that that we have (some people don't, my niece doesn't) is an appendix. We derive the nutrients from roughage mainly by consuming animals that are able to consume roughage efficiently (cows and in some cultures, horses although cows are more efficient then horses). Otherwise, roughage is intestinal cleaner.

My sister and my niece both tried really hard to be pure veggie eaters. They both had to go back (very slowly as meat did make them sick since they were off meat for so long) to meat because they were deficient big time even with them taking supplements to make up for not having meat in their diet.

WHERE DO YOU PEOPLE GET THIS INFORMATION???? under your aluminum hats???
you have no idea of homo sapian ANATOMY!!!
1.CECUM: Most mammalian herbivores have a relatively large cecum, hosting a large number of bacteria, which aid in the enzymatic breakdown of plant materials such as cellulose; in many species, it is considerably wider than the colon. In contrast, obligatory carnivores, whose diets contain little or no plant material, have a reduced cecum, which is often partially or wholly replaced by the vermiform appendix.
2.APPENDIX: I STILL HAVE MINE!!!! its purpose was to digest hard seeds or other material like small BONES, that could not be digested by the stomach acids or small intestine. Attached to the first portion of the large intestine is a troublesome pouch called the (veriform) appendix. The appendix has no function in modern humans, however it is believed to have been part of the digestive system in our primitive ancestors.
3. where in the hell did you come up with this: "We derive the nutrients from roughage mainly by consuming animals that are able to consume roughage efficiently." that is so WRONG.......you cant get complex carbs that where in plants, by eating the meat of the animal that ate the plant!!!!!!!!!SCHEEEEZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!
4.this is one thing you have right!!!! "roughage is intestinal cleaner." without that, you increase the chances of COLON CANCER!!!! again we go back to human anatomy! the intestinal tract of a human is primarily OMNIVORE/HERBIVORE!!!!
Carnivorous animals have intestinal tracts that are 3-6x their body length, while herbivores have intestinal tracts 10-12x their body length. Human beings have the same intestinal tract ratio as herbivores.
5. as to your sister & niece, i think they would have been trying to be VEGAN. this is a level of VEGETARIANISM, that is the hardest to sustain. due to the fact: ALL VEGANS DO NOT INGEST ANY ANIMAL PRODUCT!!!! now to futher explain, i was a vegetarian for 19 years. BUT......i was a LACTO-OVO VEGETARIAN. we did ingest EGGS & DAIRY PRODUCTS. in doing so we kept up the AMINO ACID levels that i belive your sister/niece did not. now for 19 years, i did not eat meat and i survived very well. when i went back to eating meat(2 years ago)as prescribed by a CARDIOLOGIST, who informed me of some thing i did not know. 85% of the cholesterol created in the body..........comes from CARBOHYDRATES!!!!! i was told this by 3-4 other doctors. NOW........this goes to a whol other subject of CARBS, GOOD & BAD...which is which.
GOOD................COMPLEX CARBS. are high-fiber foods, which improve your digestion. They help stabilize the blood sugar, keep your energy at an even level, and help you feel satisfied longer after your meal. CRUCIFEROUS VEGETABLES are the best: Arugula,Bok choy,Broccoli,Brussels sprouts,Cabbage,Cauliflower,Chinese cabbage,Collard greens,Kale,Kohlrabi,Mustard greens,Radishes,Rutabaga,Turnips,Watercress. other COMPLEX CARBS, such as Whole grain bread, bagels, buns and rolls are examples of these. Also pasta, macaroni and breakfast cereals that are made from whole grains.
SIMPLE CARBS.............BAD!!!!! Table sugar, Corn syrup, Fruit juice, Candy, Cake, Bread made with white flour, Pasta made with white flour, Soda pop, such as Coke®, Pepsi®, Mountain Dew®, etc. All baked goods made with white flour, Most packaged cereals.
so there you have it.......................learn to eat the right foods, and PLEASE LEARN ANATOMY )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

signswi

Really ??

I avoid all of these as well (not real sugar, in moderation your body needs it, especially your brain but all chemical and corn sugars I avoid). I'm especially careful now as my doctor has me watching sodium. Just try watching sodium, keeping under 1500mg for the day is impossible if you eat even one prepackaged food stuff.

I LOVE meat I just don't like the mass meat industry. So much less flavor in fats from an animal without a natural, varied diet.