• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I was under the impression that Gemini sold only to Sign Shops?

Marlene

hmmm...I've always thought all those Gemini resellers sites were just that, someone who set up a site to resell Gemini letters ,not some nefarious plot on Geminis part to sell to end users direct. I do know that years ago I accidentally called a few of those resellers after looking up a number on the web and it was obvious that they were just another sign shop selling Gemini letters. I'd like to see some evidence that Gemini is behind any of these sites.
In the meantime J Hill is right, big difference between selling to end users at retail and wholesale. But Gemini always has claimed it doesn't sell to end users that at least don't register and prove they are some type of contractor.

websites that have the name Gemini in it are the sigh shops who sell Gemini letters. give them a call as I did and they were pretty good about explaining what it is all about. on their actual site, a custoemr can look at letters and such but when they click on buy, it directs to to call your local sign shop

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am one of those "vinyl companies". We in no way, shape or form sell to end users, period. There is plenty of markets for us to penetrate without having to resort to that. You probably can find a few cases of backdoor sales at some companies, but from my view, that is generally not the norm.

I've never heard of you or your vinyl line. If you'd become a Merchant Member here, perhaps some people would buy from you from this place. :popcorn:

So, you never heard of the plotters, printers and large machines being sold to just about every beer distributor around the world ?? They used to be our customers, until Gerber and all the rest of the machine people started selling to them. Then the vinyl people followed in and then the ink people and the substrate people. How 'bout your local hospital or other kinds of end-users which would buy entirely from the sign industry, until things made for the sign industry suddenly took on a new market as the sign people who acted as the beta sites for all this sh!t became flooded with it and all you distributors hadda still sell your wares...... somewhere. Look, let's let it rest, we all hafta make money and it's obvious the big guys must keep selling because the sign shops can't keep them going anymore, so in same way, shape or form, they are hitting up the end-users. You call it what you like, but it's happening all the time.... everywhere. Wanna keep those blinders on, go right ahead, but don't think everyone's so stoopid as you make them out to be. :peace!:

TheVinylGuy

I've never heard of you or your vinyl line. If you'd become a Merchant Member here, perhaps some people would buy from you from this place. :popcorn:

So, you never heard of the plotters, printers and large machines being sold to just about every beer distributor around the world ?? They used to be our customers, until Gerber and all the rest of the machine people started selling to them. Then the vinyl people followed in and then the ink people and the substrate people. How 'bout your local hospital or other kinds of end-users which would buy entirely from the sign industry, until things made for the sign industry suddenly took on a new market as the sign people who acted as the beta sites for all this sh!t became flooded with it and all you distributors hadda still sell your wares...... somewhere. Look, let's let it rest, we all hafta make money and it's obvious the big guys must keep selling because the sign shops can't keep them going anymore, so in same way, shape or form, they are hitting up the end-users. You call it what you like, but it's happening all the time.... everywhere. Wanna keep those blinders on, go right ahead, but don't think everyone's so stoopid as you make them out to be. :peace!:

You're entitled to your opinion Gino. As for the company I work for; they have been around for 35 years now and are a family owned business. The reason I came to work for them (in sales) is that they have the best customer service I have ever seen and business ethics is their top priority. Maybe the rest of the industry may be dishonorable, but I assure you this company is not. As for the merchant membership, I joined this site as a newbie in the industry just a few months ago to learn what I can about this business from all sides of the industry. I am not the owner of the company and do not have the financing to pay for a membership.

By the way, stupid is as stupid does. :rolleyes:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't need to. Some of the people here, tend to think I need to provide solid proof, while all they hafta do is just say something and it's gospel. I've been doing this for almost 44 years and have seen a lot and most of it first hand.

Anyway, many years ago at the Atlantic City sign show, my rep was a guy named Dick from Gemini. Perhaps, some of you know him, remember him or go to the bar where he's now a bartender, down in Philly somewhere. Don't remember his last name, but he was one heck of a nice guy and helped everyone. In recent years, he'd stop by the shop a few time a year and we'd shoot the sh!t, go have some hot dogs and then he'd leave. One time we got to talking and I mentioned something about seeing an ad about letters just like theirs. I asked how someone can make this lie up and get away with it ?? He hemmed and hawed a little then he said, Gene, I'm gonna let ya in on a little secret. Not many people know this, but...... then he proceeded to tell me about this setup. I couldn't believe it and it was it basically before the internet was really the way it is now. I'm not even sure if it was in much use, yet. This goes way back. Dick's gone about 8 years now.... and it was quite a spell before that. Anyway, it all started to make sense and why would he lie about his own company about something like that ?? I'm not saying it's bad what they do, but they do it. They, along with so many others, will say anything to get/keep your business, but this, I don't think so.

I don't care if you believe this story or not. He might've lied to me just to keep me quite and not go around asking anyone else or maybe he just wanted to tease me about something he made up. How many companies like the guy earlier said he doesn't do it. well, perhaps he's too little to do it or too big to do it. I don't know him, so I really don't know his position, but I was really talking about the big guys like Avery, 3M and some others. How many of you buy vinyl from some distributor and you think you're buying the 'House Brand' but it's really just privately labeled someone elses ?? They all sleaze their way into the market and with modern technology, that ain't hard to do anymore.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're entitled to your opinion Gino. As for the company I work for; they have been around for 35 years now and are a family owned business. The reason I came to work for them (in sales) is that they have the best customer service I have ever seen and business ethics is their top priority. Maybe the rest of the industry may be dishonorable, but I assure you this company is not. As for the merchant membership, I joined this site as a newbie in the industry just a few months ago to learn what I can about this business from all sides of the industry. I am not the owner of the company and do not have the financing to pay for a membership.

By the way, stupid is as stupid does. :rolleyes:

Alright, your business could be different. There are many that are upstanding and still have integrity, but it's far and few between for them. More and more of them hafta do things in order to keep their doors open. Allowing people to use all of their advertising gimmicks, videos and ads, but represent themselves as someone else, sounds a little peculiar to me. If someone doesn't wanna go to a sign shop to get the whole job performed properly , why get the letters on your own and still hafta go to a sign shop to put them up ?? Oh, that's right, cause there are so many hacks that will cut even more corners to get that business. These people are nothing more than middlemen/brokers giving whatever company they are working for still another window for someone to stumble into. In the end, Gemini still gets the job. And hopefully, no one is the wiser...... for their sake. It's all in the wording of how they hide behind it, but the common denominator is still the wholesaler who said they are not selling to end-users. It's just a game.

We sell a lotta Gemini stuff out of our shop...... letters, plaques and even some of their channels. I have no problems with what they do, but denying it is just senseless.

Pat Whatley

First: I have a legit wholesale account with Gemini so I'm not talking about them.

That said, do you have any idea how easy it is to get set up with a wholesale account at most "direct to industry only" businesses? My business license name is Signs In Seconds. I've gotten wholesale accounts with plumbing suppliers, cabinet companies, tool companies, and tire distributors. Didn't have to lie, just asked for a wholesale account and provided a business license. Apparently it doesn't matter that I wasn't in that industry.