• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ideas for substrate holder

Flame

Hey guys, seeing if you want to help me with something. I know this has been discussed before but I can't seem to find much, so, here goes.

Looking to really clean up my substrates. I have corex, dibond, sintra, mdo, aluminum, all in oddball different sizes and shapes, and they're really cluttering up my shop. Need to get this place a heckuva lot cleaner looking, so does anyone have any ideas on something I could build that would hold all of this effectively?

ucmj22

I'm lucky, we have a basement where I get to keep all of my substrates. At our old sho, we used to just have it all leaning up against a wall. I hated that. sorry, no ideas here that wouldnt take up just as much space.

Malkin

Cut them into squares/rectangles. Don't make L shaped scrap.

We sort of divided them based on size, then type.
Anything 2' x 3' or smaller go under the benches, divided by type of substrate. The larger pieces go all together in a section of the rack that holds 4x8's.
We still end up with lots leaning against the wall.

AUTO-FX

i think" isign" recently had some pics of some nice diagonal style racks for substrates. i think they were in a descending size order.

ucmj22

rack

ok, here is a real idea this time.

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 479

John L

For full sheet storage we layed 1" x 3" steel channel on the floor and welded 1" diameter pipe about every 4" on center. We have three of these inverted "comb" assemblies and the full sheet stores on edge, in the bays, very nicely.

Small pieces are stored on edge also but we made up a few crates by using leftover pallets as the base... kinda like a cube with one open end. When these crates get to taking too much floor space we lift them with the fork truck up onto a shelf or slide them under a shelf bay with a pallet jack. Also nice to slide these around to where you are working for easy piece selection. We have taken these crates out on jobs at times and have even dropped them right in the dumpster if the pieces have been around the shop too long.

OldPaint

i posted this a while back............if you got over 10 ft ceilings works good. mine is 16 high side, 14 low side. this is on the lower end.

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 479
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 436

Farmboy

OP...looks good. If you don't mind that I make one suggestion. Place a 2x4 under the two that are supporting the substrate. As it is now, the weight of the substrate is on what ever is fastening (screws or nails) the two 2x4's to the one that has the rope attached to it.

weaselboogie

Great Thread!

I've been going round and round on how to do substrate storage myself. Right now I have chosen a system where I put random sizes and random substrates in all corners of the shop strewn about in a half-assed fashion.

Here's something that I remember seeing in a woodworking catalog. Not exactly thorough as far as organizing, but I think I remember it for a small shop. The back part is hinged against the wall and the front part has a wheel attached to the bottom. Its ok for going against a door or a short wall where you can wheel it out and pull out the substrates and then wheel it back against the wall.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 426

OldPaint

OP...looks good. If you don't mind that I make one suggestion. Place a 2x4 under the two that are supporting the substrate. As it is now, the weight of the substrate is on what ever is fastening (screws or nails) the two 2x4's to the one that has the rope attached to it.
there is a 2x4 at the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!
since the pic was taken, i have added a 2x2 4 ft up, and 2 more vertical lath one on each end, between the bottom 2x4 and top 2x2.

weaselboogie

I've been going round and round on how to do substrate storage myself. Right now I have chosen a system where I put random sizes and random substrates in all corners of the shop strewn about in a half-assed fashion.

Here's something that I remember seeing in a woodworking catalog. Not exactly thorough as far as organizing, but I think I remember it for a small shop. The back part is hinged against the wall and the front part has a wheel attached to the bottom. Its ok for going against a door or a short wall where you can wheel it out and pull out the substrates and then wheel it back against the wall.

Thanks to Woodsway for finding this picture.

attachment.php

For full sheets (and scraps) I find it best to store flat as opposed to standing like many tend to do. Unless you keep it jam packed all the time, the sheets will warp pretty easily making it harder for routing, etc. etc. If ya got some space, build a rack that'll store them flat.

iSign

i think" isign" recently had some pics of some nice diagonal style racks for substrates. i think they were in a descending size order.

true.
Made my first one for 4x8's ...loved it, so I tore out an older one & made a second matching unit, but with shelves for cut down scraps...

Attachments

• rackbuilding.jpg
    rackbuilding.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 423
  • emptyrack2.jpg
    emptyrack2.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 419
  • fullrack2.jpg
    fullrack2.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 451