• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illuminated push through letters material

RickP

We have always made illuminated push through letters with white translucent, acrylic. I have a customer demanding clear acrylic with diffusing vinyl 2nd surface and translucent 1st surface.
We will make it the way the want it but I just want to understand what I can expect with the clear.

MikePro

we use both combos, and they both look great. huge fan of nesting&cutting the white trans with a ~1/8" inline from the backside of the plexi so you don't have to trim after application.

white polycarb behind clear works too but needs to be cleaned every cpl of years of bugs&grit that get between the layers.

Adobeanna

wouldn't that create a glow escaping the first surface from the push thru's returns being exposed?? Might be a cool effect..

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
P.S. I made a sign with lettering using a translucent red acrylic (#104?) on the surface, over opal (translucent white).
Glued down with Methylene Chloride etc.
LED illumination behind.
After about 20 months, the LEDs had bleached the colour out of the red acrylic, and it looked terrible - bevause the bleaching was dependant on distance from the LEDs - is patchy - whereas when first made, it looked very uniform.

I was really surprised at the failure of the red., indoors, from only LEDs at 1.5" set back

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
We make our thicker push thrus with clear acrylic, diffuser on back, and translucent vinyl on the faces (or painted aluminum faces if only edge glow). We apply all film prior to cutting letters. The process is alot more expensive due to two layers of film. The diffuser is really pricey but works well.

MikePro

Sounds good, but ould you mind explaining this a bit more clearly, please?
Thanks.
countour-cutting your shapes of white trans., rather than field-applying and trimming by-hand afterwards. works great for big stuff, but if you're doing individual lettering it becomes a PITA real fast.

MikePro

P.S. I made a sign with lettering using a translucent red acrylic (#104?) on the surface, over opal (translucent white).
Glued down with Methylene Chloride etc.
LED illumination behind.
After about 20 months, the LEDs had bleached the colour out of the red acrylic, and it looked terrible - bevause the bleaching was dependant on distance from the LEDs - is patchy - whereas when first made, it looked very uniform.

I was really surprised at the failure of the red., indoors, from only LEDs at 1.5" set back
interested to see photos of what you're referring to.... i've never seen LEDs bleach-out acrylic. Sunlight, however, will definitely chalk it up over time.