• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Performance

So you think newer Illustrator versions are faster? I just wrote a script for sanity check :roflmao:

My average score is 1010 millisec with version 2022 and 810 on 2021 (not sure build number)

Attachments

• Illustrator Benchmark.zip
    1,003 bytes · Views: 149

ikarasu

We going to have an Epeen contest? :cool:

Doing 100 points - newest updated illustrator.

Attachments

• illy 2022.png
    illy 2022.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 179

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Since when is a new version of a graphics application "faster" than a previous one? If anything the going rule is newer versions of graphics applications will require ever more powerful computer system hardware requirements.

WildWestDesigns

Be aware as well, Adobe products (by this I'm talking about their core products, not ones that they have bought over the years and assimilated, I'm starting to see a cube off in the distance) tend to have a lot of technological debt to them. Which for each newer version as they tack on those newer features, adds to it. That also affects performance as well. Programs that have a long development history suffer from this more so (and with those core products, they have been around since late 80s, they are old), I wouldn't be surprised if there are still pre C++03 bits in there as well.

Take for instance OpenGL (which I do like messing with, don't get me wrong), Adobe requires OpenGL 4.x (Mac users, that means from now until it's removed, OpenGL 4.1 is all that you will get as that has been deprecated in the infinite wisdom of Apple in favor of Metal). Well, this standard has been deprecated by the Khronos group for Vulkan. Now Vulkan is more for 3D graphics, which Ai and Ps are not, but it does benefit 2D graphic pipelines as well. Point is, unless they add in Vulkan, they are using a spec that even the maintainers of said spec no longer are supporting for future development (that includes for 2D work as well since they aren't keeping up with OpenGL), the only reason that the spec is still there is due to graphic OEMs supporting it. Which I think as long as big programs like Ai/Ps still use it (it's used by a lot of programs, legacy and new as well), graphics OEMs will still keep putting support in there. Point is, that's technological debt right there. Old standard, and a higher level one at that versus Vulkan, which means more performance hit.

rjssigns

Adobe is becoming slower and slower with each iteration. That's why I am using Affinity products more and more. Flexi is still my go to for quick projects. If Flexi can't handle it Affinity Designer or Photo gets the nod.

All the "special features Adobe adds that are of no use to sign makers just slow it down and make it prone to crashes.
Funny how the old time brush guys got along just fine for decades and cranked out beautiful works of art.
Now the new sign makers can't live without the latest software/computers blah blah blah... and still can't design their way out of a wet paper bag.

WildWestDesigns

Adobe is becoming slower and slower with each iteration. That's why I am using Affinity products more and more. Flexi is still my go to for quick projects. If Flexi can't handle it Affinity Designer or Photo gets the nod.

All the "special features Adobe adds that are of no use to sign makers just slow it down and make it prone to crashes.
I know a lot of people that are upset with Premier as well, but that's another topic.

Funny how the old time brush guys got along just fine for decades and cranked out beautiful works of art.
Now the new sign makers can't live without the latest software/computers blah blah blah... and still can't design their way out of a wet paper bag.
They are just supposed to be tools, that's all. Don't get me wrong, I do like computers, power goes out, I can still do my animation (not much of a painter, drawer/cartoonist, but not so much a painter), may need to use a zoetrope or phenakistoscope or flip book, but I can get it done.

Don't worry, art done by AI is on the rise for those that like the latest and greatest.

rjssigns

I know a lot of people that are upset with Premier as well, but that's another topic.

They are just supposed to be tools, that's all. Don't get me wrong, I do like computers, power goes out, I can still do my animation (not much of a painter, drawer/cartoonist, but not so much a painter), may need to use a zoetrope or phenakistoscope or flip book, but I can get it done.

Don't worry, art done by AI is on the rise for those that like the latest and greatest.
Ai generated, going to be seeing a lot of wack a$$ "art" on everything.

All this new BS makes me want to find an old time brush guy that is willing to train me. Had started that path decades ago but the old souls demons got the better of him.
If I could find someone no worries for me being competition at my age. By the time I would be any good probably wouldn't be able to hold the brush or remember what I was doing.:D

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The advantage of AI (artificial intelligence) generated art is that now anybody can create awesome sci-fi and fantasy images, or Pokémon style graphics. Relieves us of the burden!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I ran the tests and to no surprise my spiffy win10 laptop running the latest AI 2022 was about twice as fast as my win7 AI 2017.

Attachments

• WIN 10 2022.jpg
    WIN 10 2022.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 152

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Since when is a new version of a graphics application "faster" than a previous one? If anything the going rule is newer versions of graphics applications will require ever more powerful computer system hardware requirements.
Since the last few years or so. suddenly get sluggish and obnoxiously slow when there is an upgrade. This is my experience anyway. Windows, as well as Adobe aps.

victor bogdanov

yall need some better computers, latest illy:

Capture.JPG

AMD Ryzen 5900x
64gig ram

Building a new comp as soon as AMD Ryzen 7950x comes out at the end of the month, will also go with 128gigs ram this time, 64gig isn't enough for huge wall murals

yall need some better computers, latest illy:

View attachment 161400

AMD Ryzen 5900x
64gig ram

Building a new comp as soon as AMD Ryzen 7950x comes out at the end of the month, will also go with 128gigs ram this time, 64gig isn't enough for huge wall murals
Wow very impressive, check your Task Manager before you buy the memory though, my illustrator won't use more than 12-14 GB no matter how big the file is. It's a single core app so the bottleneck is rearly the memory

WildWestDesigns

The advantage of AI (artificial intelligence) generated art is that now anybody can create awesome sci-fi and fantasy images, or Pokémon style graphics. Relieves us of the burden!
I partly agree with this. The people using AI, aren't really doing the creating. It's really not doing anything different compared to when a customer comes to "you", tells "you" a few things and something comes out. That customer isn't the artist. Now, I do agree that that will take some of the people that would normally come to "you", they can handle it on their own, more may do that. Rather or not that's a good thing, I dunno. Lower barriers to entry does have it's consequence, but I guess it would also depend on what one considers a burden and how much of it was a burden (some of it sure, but I can't imagine all, but your mileage may vary).

Wow very impressive, check your Task Manager before you buy the memory though, my illustrator won't use more than 12-14 GB no matter how big the file is. It's a single core app so the bottleneck is rearly the memory

What you said, goes into the technological dept that is in there as well. Some of it even goes down to the programming language that they used. While I do like C++ and I use it myself, it has a lot of cruft attached to it (and given Ai's 30+ yrs development, I would imagine that some of that legacy cruft is in the code base, some of that goes into single core (of course some of that is the paradigm of how vector drawing is done, in a very linear fashion not just the fact of the age of the programming language used) as C++ was around long before concurrency was a thing, openGL usage etc) and all the new features that are with the language have been bolted on in such a way that it feels like those features are an afterthought, all to preserve backward compatibility. I wish ISO would change that, but I doubt that they would.

victor bogdanov

I use lots of photoshop too, 10ft x 20ft 150dpi mural open in PS eats up RAM, I'm using an M.2 SSD as a dedicated scratch disk for PS and that helps a lot when there isn't enough ram

I use lots of photoshop too, 10ft x 20ft 150dpi mural open in PS eats up RAM, I'm using an M.2 SSD as a dedicated scratch disk for PS and that helps a lot when there isn't enough ram

Good thing that every software needs different hardware to run well, so you end up building a gamin PC in the end XD

What you said, goes into the technological dept that is in there as well. Some of it even goes down to the programming language that they used. While I do like C++ and I use it myself, it has a lot of cruft attached to it (and given Ai's 30+ yrs development, I would imagine that some of that legacy cruft is in the code base, some of that goes into single core (of course some of that is the paradigm of how vector drawing is done, in a very linear fashion not just the fact of the age of the programming language used) as C++ was around long before concurrency was a thing, openGL usage etc) and all the new features that are with the language have been bolted on in such a way that it feels like those features are an afterthought, all to preserve backward compatibility. I wish ISO would change that, but I doubt that they would.

Affinitry tried to rebuild everything from scratch and to be honest it works pretty fast on multi core CPUs but it took adobe 37?? years to get to this point, and let's be honest there are still some amateurish bugs in it which blows my mind

WildWestDesigns

Affinitry tried to rebuild everything from scratch and to be honest it works pretty fast on multi core CPUs but it took adobe 37?? years to get to this point, and let's be honest there are still some amateurish bugs in it which blows my mind
Affinity has the advantage of still be relatively young (I don't even think it's 10 yrs old). Compare that to Adobe, even those "amateurish" bugs aren't quite as easy to take care. There is a lot of cruft in there. In the process of taking care of these few bugs over here, could create significantly more in the process. I do agree, it needs a change, I don't think it would happen though, if it does, it will be glacial and bit by bit. It's not an easy thing to do, especially as complex of a program that it is. I also don't see backward compatibility staying there, so for those that love the fact of having that old file compatibility, that will probably go bye bye and not really in the more sinister greedy way, but just in the fact that there is some "casualty" in a process like this. What Adobe really has to it's advantage is history, but even that is slowly being whittled away. What was good way back when may not necessarily be the same as it is today.

Affinity has the advantage of still be relatively young (I don't even think it's 10 yrs old). Compare that to Adobe, even those "amateurish" bugs aren't quite as easy to take care. There is a lot of cruft in there. In the process of taking care of these few bugs over here, could create significantly more in the process. I do agree, it needs a change, I don't think it would happen though, if it does, it will be glacial and bit by bit. It's not an easy thing to do, especially as complex of a program that it is. I also don't see backward compatibility staying there, so for those that love the fact of having that old file compatibility, that will probably go bye bye and not really in the more sinister greedy way, but just in the fact that there is some "casualty" in a process like this. What Adobe really has to it's advantage is history, but even that is slowly being whittled away. What was good way back when may not necessarily be the same as it is today.

I'm not talking about the oversized artboard stuff, but things like artboard numbering goes from being 22,23,24,25 to 22,24,24,25 and thing like that. I call it amateurish without quote marks :)