• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Import psd file with outer glow, outer glow goes solid

ricker44

Why when I Import a psd file into flexi-pro that has an outer glow effect and transparent background, the outer glow turns solid?

iSign

tech is right, as a .psd file, various "effects" exist as seperate changable, or removable entities. The .psd extension is what you want when you need to retain editability of things such as layers, layer styles etc.

I print out of flexi & just by flattening & saving as a .tif you will lolck in any "effects" as they appeared in the .psd file at the time you chose "save as"

ricker44

I will most likely do it that way. I just don't know if the colors will be the same but I'll try it and see.

iSign

print a cmyk chart of process colors on your printer & then print the vector swatch you need to match. Line up with the best cmyk match & incorporate that background color into your .tif file.

You't not going to print & install in one piece anyway, so tile your panels in photoshop & then you can send (& rip) in smaller sections.

iSign

I've done that tech... maybe I need to play with tolerances... but I've ended up with a sharp drop off... never a nice fade-to-nothing like you can get in photoshop. Have you had better luck?

Techman

wel. I havent done psd to flexi in a long time,, dont remember exactly ,, but seems to me that faded drops can be done in flexi anyway..
You have a gradient tab,, yes?

Mason

take into flexi and remove the back grund with the magic wand..

With all due respect to the poster, please dont do this..

there are more approriate solutions..

A. Flexi Pro does not support the transparency created in Photoshop

B. create a background layer which is the same color as the background you are using in flexi, and save as a .tif, dont "write layers" when you save and the file will be much smaller.

C. the magic wand tool should be removed from every graphics software program made, very rough and not up to the professional level of expertise Ive come to expect from this community.

//rant

ricker44

Thanks everyone for your input. What I did and it worked great is...........

1) Created my artwork in Photoshop with the outerglow.
2) In FLexi I have the correct background color from a previous job for the same customer so I took the cmyk color chart, exported it as a postscript eps, opened it in Photshop, flattened it, saved it as tiff, brought it back in Flexi, Printed it, Matched background color on chart.
3) Added a background to the artwork in Photoshop (color matched from chart), flattened it, saved it as a tiff, took it back to Flexi, laid it on top of the 98"x650" (vector) background field, Did a eye dropper for back-up.
4) Masked off a section, printed it and it looks great.

Thanks isign and Mason, all our thinkers worked it out.