• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing and saving question

pinkhorseofcourse

First off, let me say, that I am asking this question for my brother who has this program, but is not connected to the internet. I have no knowledge of the program, so please bare with me. :p

He has been working on a graphics layout, he uses a vinyl cutter, and he has been having problems with images that he is working with disappearing when he imports more images. The question is, Can you import more images to signlab, without losing what you already have on the screen? that you have already imported??? I hope this makes sense. I was at his house when he was trying to do this.. and everytime he tried to import new images, the ones he had already been working with were no longer there. It was very frustrating. He is working on a job and really needs to get moving.. but he is stuck. His only other option would be to save each graphic individually, but he said he wastes sooo much vinyl if he does it that way. Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated. :unclesam:

GVP

When he imports, make sure the checkbox marked "Merge" is checked - this ensures incoming imports are added to the existing layout.

Geary

Oh, Lord, bless his heart. Poor fella. Wow, he is a newbie isn't he? In SignLab he should be able to have as many images on a file as he would EVER like or imagine.

Well, the first thing I would like to know ....is he actually hitting the "SAVE" button every time he changes anything in the file? The other thing is has he tried to open other images (while the original file is still open) individually and then "SELECT" them and do a "COPY" then go back to the original file and do a "PASTE" or "MERGE" ?

So, first things first here.....if you don't mind.

~Gear

pinkhorseofcourse

Thanks Geary!! And I know he would appreciate the sympathy! lol As for him hitting the save button everytime he adds anything, I am not sure.. he said he lost about 5 hours worth of work the other night.. He WAS using Dr. Stika, I think that is what it is called.. and he was saving images there and then copying and pasting.. but I told him there HAS got to be a better way.

And as for him opening a new file and copying and pasting it into what he is currently working on, I doubt it. He isn't real computer savvy and probably wouldn't know to try that.. and I, am more comfortable on the computer but know nothing about the program, so I didn't know to suggest it. :eek:( But I will now! LOL

He is a Newbie of sorts.. he has had the program for quite a while.. but has little time to actually fool around with it and get to know it. He also works full time and does this stuff in his 'spare' time.. of which he has very little. Thanks again for the reply... I tried calling him a little bit ago, to tell him about checking the "merge" checkbox... but he was already in bed for work tomorrow. I left him a message. He can try it tomorrow and get back with me and if that, and what you have told me doesn't help, I am sure I will be back on here tomorrow night for him... What a good sister I am, huh? :rolleyes: LOL

iSign

If pinkhorse won't mind... I'd like to intrude with a signlab question for Gear or anyone.

I don't really use signlab myself, but I bought the latest version a year ago because my then-new employee had 3 years experience with it & after a few months on the team, I felt that his production would improve enough to justify it... so it has been something he uses every day & I've got on there enough times to cut a job or two... but I used to use Casmate for 9 years & retired it when we got him set up to do the cut vinyl around here. (I also have Omega to cut to the 15" Gerber Envision plotter, or Flexi to cut to the Mimaki 63" plotter)

...anyway, when I want to open a second file, it wants to close the first file. This is the only quality design program I've ever encoutered that doesn't want 2 files open at one time... so is there an easy trick I'm missing... or is that just a signlab thing?

Geary

Yeah, bruddaMan...it truly is as Techman sez...."signLab thang"....sorry man. In fact, other than that I REALLY liked working on that program for 8 straight years back in the day. I don't own it in my own office now however.

Sorry dude.

~G.

iSign

thanks guys.. I doubted it could be there & not work by itself... but the reply to pinkhorse sounded like another thing that usually works without any special attention... so I got my hopes up.

GVP

Doug,
Signlab only allows you to open one file at a time within the same window - but I think you can open multiple instances of Signlab to have more than one copy running at a time - each with a different file if desired. Don't know if this helps, though...

Graham.