• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing artwork into Omega 2.0

rba828

One of my customers emailed me some artwork in .jpg format just as I asked him to, but the file is pixilated. Is there any way I can still use it or do I need him to send me another format? I am unsure how to explain to him what it is that I need. I would be willing to email you the attachment if you could show me how to open it and use it in Omega 2.0. Thanks for any help!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Are you planning to Edge print it? If so Omega will import it just fine and you can Edge print it. Otherwise, it is useless for anything in vinyl cutting as it is a bitmap image and not a vector file.

If you are planning to Edge print it, then import into Omega, select it and hit Shift +1 to bring up the image fill dialog. Once open, check to see that the thumbnail resolution is set to 24 bit. Click okay and see if the image still looks grainy.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
rba828 said:
This project is for vinyl cutting. Thanks.

Omega and every other application out there requires vector paths to drive a plotter. Omega and every other applicaton out there do not do an adequate job of converting raster to vector when the file is low resolution, which is typical of a JPG. JPG files are raster bitmaps and do not contain any vectors.

Tony Teveris

Not to confuse everyone but JPG, TIFF and PSD image files can contain vector data but it is rarely seen. Within Photoshop you can create "paths", clipping, stroked, etc and they can be saved in the mentioned file formats as vectors. Most apps will not deal with them. Omega 2.5 will and SignLab, I don't know about Flexi.

Shovelhead

details....details......

Tony,
How do I get a free upgrade from 1.6 to the latest version???
I promise to retire Flexi and use Omega exclusively!!
Thank You
:help:

ScottyDoo

Fred Weiss said:
Omega and every other application out there requires vector paths to drive a plotter. Omega and every other applicaton out there do not do an adequate job of converting raster to vector when the file is low resolution, which is typical of a JPG. JPG files are raster bitmaps and do not contain any vectors.

CorelDraw X3 actually has some great new tracing features that even do well on some low res files. (have low res file preset)

Scott Reynolds

ScottyDoo said:
CorelDraw X3 actually has some great new tracing features that even do well on some low res files. (have low res file preset)

Just used the low res file preset trace tonight, worked great.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In the hands of a competent operator with a trained eye, that may be true ... some of the time. In the hands of a newbie who still says WOW! everytime a recognizable image is cut on a plotter ... it's just another reduction in the quality of the signs we all have to look at.