• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Disposal

ndowd

This may seem like a silly question to some of you guys but I am new to solvent printing and I am not sure how to dispose of the waste ink. I am running a Mutoh 1614 with Eco Solvent inks.

Are there companies out there that pick this stuff up?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if it's illegal to do it that or not, but instead of taking a chance.... we just put it into cans and then into drums and once a year at a local business, they have commercial toxic waste day. You can drop off anything you want and they take it away for free.

WildWestDesigns

I'm not sure if it's illegal to do it that or not, but instead of taking a chance.... we just put it into cans and then into drums and once a year at a local business, they have commercial toxic waste day. You can drop off anything you want and they take it away for free.

That's what I would do as well. Better safe then sorry.

MindsEyeOpen

We have a paint booth in house so we just dump our waste ink into the paint waste barrel. There is a waste company that picks it up when it gets full and delivers an empty barrel.

MachServTech

Are there companies out there that pick this stuff up?

Safety Kleen

Little Rock, AR 11727 Arch Street Little Rock AR 72206 501-888-1782

Springdale, Ar 1887 FedEx Drive Springdale AR 72764 479-756-4022

The Kitty Litter trick will win you a hefty fine and some bad publicity.

jiarby

I put mine in a water ballon and throw it on the drug dealer's (down the street) new Hummer early in the morning. They like to sleep in.

gabagoo

I just cant figure out why we are allowed to throw away anything that is printed then? How is a vinyl with dry ink on it any different than kitty litter with dry ink in it?
I have not tried the kitty litter method and have stored mine in 5 gallon drums until I find a way to get rid of it. So far I have not found a company here that picks it up, mind you I have not spent to much time looking either.
The municipality will take old paint cans and such but only from residential.

So hypethetically if I had a waste container full of old paper could one not just spread the ink around and let the paper absorb it? then in 24 hrs it is dry and acceptable for pickup?

MachServTech

How is a vinyl with dry ink on it any different than kitty litter with dry ink in it?

Because the solvent does not evaporate out of the kitty litter like it does out of our banner material.

If you can remove the solvent then yes, I suppose that would be the same technically. The problem is that you are a business that is dealing with a labeled hazardous product. Do you really want that exposure?

Think of it more like motor oil or antifreeze. Would you dump that into the kitty litter then in the toilet or dumpster?

Some places will fine you, some will not. For me its just about not poisoning the water where you live.