• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink Question

bmatlock5

I have recently aquired some Mutoh Eco-Ultra Ink cartridges that have an expiration date of 11/2007. I was wandering if anyone has used ink that has been out of date for some time and what the results of that has been. I would like to use this ink since I have it, but do not want to tear up a printer over it. I contacted Mutoh, and they were kinda vague on their answer, for liability reason i think (not recommending using out of date supplies), but he did not just out and say it was dangerous to use them. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with advice on this issue. They are new still in plastic. Thanks for help in advance!!

Color Dude

I personally think you will be ok, if you just shake them up real good before inserting them. Just my .02

Compilla

I have recently aquired some Mutoh Eco-Ultra Ink cartridges that have an expiration date of 11/2007. I was wandering if anyone has used ink that has been out of date for some time and what the results of that has been. I would like to use this ink since I have it, but do not want to tear up a printer over it. I contacted Mutoh, and they were kinda vague on their answer, for liability reason i think (not recommending using out of date supplies), but he did not just out and say it was dangerous to use them. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with advice on this issue. They are new still in plastic. Thanks for help in advance!!

Ink colorant will be low in hue do to settlement and coagulation of the pigment, hence replacing the dampers heavily...

randya

Compilla spells out the issue well.

Ink can separate and pigment can coagulate.

And it can do so, differently, based on the environmental conditions that the ink is subject to.

So the truth is, we dont know, what the drop dead date is for your ink.
So the expiration date is a safe date based on statistical data.

On each cartridge is a notice:
Shake Gently Before Use

QuickSignsSA

So randy, could you "if you take a chance" re-chip these cartridges and use them? Would this void warranty because ink is expired?

randya

Yes, any cartridge can be rechipped, and I am guessing because they are more than a year past date, that would void warranty.

I am not aware if the chips actually read the date, though ChicagoGraphics might be right.

On a personal note, BEFORE I started working at Mutoh, I ran a indoor printer with indoor inks that were 4 and 5 years passed expiration.

I used to shake them periodically and flip and turn the boxes they were in every couple of months, like I was aging wine to keep the pigments dispersed.

Indoor inks are more forgiving, though.

Bradster941

Yes, any cartridge can be rechipped, and I am guessing because they are more than a year past date, that would void warranty.

Not to be a :thread,

but what is the reason for "Chipping" the carts Randy?

I've read many post where the chips show the cart is empty, even though it is half full. Thus creating down time for the shop.

QuickSignsSA

Not to be a :thread,

but what is the reason for "Chipping" the carts Randy?

I've read many post where the chips show the cart is empty, even though it is half full. Thus creating down time for the shop.

Yes, I think a lot is so that it prevents from using third party inks, is a main reason. Also, they are flashed when they are empty, so they are not refilled? I know roland ones at least for the sp-54o have a tab that says when it's empty or full...

randya

Chips are designed to protect our warranty costs.

Epson designs the heads we use and they spec (or design the ink) to be compatible with the heads. (of course they only warranty the head with their ink)

Mutoh optimizes the head parameters and the printer to get the highest performance out of the whole package.

While ink may all 'look the same' when it is dry, the physical and chemical properties of the liquid are all quite different.
They may be incompatible with some parts, pigment sizes can vary, and viscousity and surface tension may not meet the criteria for proper droplet formation.
This can lead to parts that get attacked or dissolved, plugged dampers and nozzles, poor droplet formation leading to print anomolies.

All of these can end up costing us dearly in service calls, which are unrelated to the printer, which ultimately gets passed along to our customers.
Our goal is to have happy satisfied customers who can unpack a printer and get the best print results right out of the gate, and for the long term as well.

Controlling what goes into the printer is our best opportunity to guarantee what comes out of the printer and protect the printer long term.

The printer counts the number of nozzles fired and the number of cycles the pump runs and estimates ink usage and writes this information back to the chip.
If the printer is not maintained properly or the capping station starts to fail, then the seal (capping station) does not seal properly against the bottom of the head and so the pump pumps but does not draw enough ink (sometimes, none) and so the printer 'thinks' it has used more ink than it really has and thus the chip thinks the cart is empty, when it is not. This is probably the culprit of most chip errors (although there are others).
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/95/

Last edited:

QuickSignsSA

Randy,

Great answer. Thanks alot, and ultimately I thought this was the case. I look forward to buying MUTOH OEM inks, to protect my investment, and to make sure I am charging adequately to my customers as well. I look forward to purching a 100" Machine from you in the future!

Thanks Randy.