• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inks with 20% or more vegetable oil???

Imminent Death

We're doing a bid on a big government job, and one of the things our client needs to know is (ready for this one?) if our inks have 20% or more vegetable oil in them.

:help

Anyone know what this would be for the Mimaki SS2 inks?

Thanks!

TheSnowman

Wow. Good luck. Call Mimaki, or whoever you buy the inks from I suppose...either that, or throw the final job in some vegetable oil, and call it done. I don't have ANY idea on that. It sounds like a new concept to me.

gabagoo

Vegetable Oil?????/!!!!!! Do they know how much cholesterol is in that stuff? Better to give them the 20% Olive Oil brand.... WTF they making salad or signs?

Imminent Death

Well, after doing some extensive research (and finally getting in touch with someone at Mimaki who knew anything about this)... I have found out that there is NO VEGETABLE OIL in Mimaki inks.

Yeeeeeeah...

This is a first for us. Our client didn't even specify if they did or did not want the vegetable oil. Anyhoo, if you have Mimaki inks and if you get a government job that asks about this... there's your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

MachServTech

There is a push towards green initiatives in governmental agencies, but this question relates to inks not used in inkjet printers. There are however inks that use vegetable derived glycols such as Mutoh's Mubio inkset. These types of inks do have issues with gamut and penetration into untreated substrates, but if that's what it takes to get a contract :corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog:
I actually use a corndog derivative in my inks :biggrin:

speedmedia

We get questions like this from time to time when the project is a LEED project. It is all part of this new "green" building thing that is going on.

I know Mutoh has a printer out now that uses such inks.

Thanks,
Kurt