• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inspired by Mr. Chips sign

SignManiac

I didn't want to jack Joe's thread on his beautiful Fox sign step by step, but I thought I post an old one I did. His happened to remind me of this one. It's not a step by step, but it shows the carving and finished piece.

Attachments

• shalishah-01.jpg
    shalishah-01.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 115
  • shalisha-03.JPG
    shalisha-03.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 97
  • shalisha-02.jpg
    shalisha-02.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 117
  • shalisha-00.JPG
    shalisha-00.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 101

vinylbarry

Is that gold leaf or gold paint?? In the letters
I am in the middle of a couple of projects like this and I want to create that nice gold look.
The sign looks awsome.

SignManiac

GG, I have no idea. Made that sign about 8-9 years ago, and can't remember at all.

Vinylbarry, this was done with 23k gold leaf.

mrchips

You know that is going to look great in the sunshine. The flat light in your photos don't do the carving justice.

Good job!

Make Chips!!! :smile:

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

SignManiac

I encourage anyone to give carving a try. It's not as hard as you think, so long as you start with a few basics, right tools, you don't have to spend a fortune on a basic starter set, and an ample supply of patience. No matter how good your carving skills are, it will always come down to good solid design. Crap designs makes crap signs no matter how great you can carve or paint.

I think there may be some youtube videos to watch and I know there are books. I say everyone should start out with a nice house sign or house number to cut your teeth on. Have at it, and have fun.