• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Install halo lit letters on wood fence?

gnubler

Hope I didn't already post this here, I couldn't find it if I did. I've been bouncing back and forth with a client for months on a residential entry sign project. What they're wanting is to install halo lit letters directly on a cedar plank fence. The back side of the fence will eventually be someone's private property, so having any wiring or hardware on the back could potentially be a problem along with access. My customer keeps referring to it as a "monument sign", which it isn't, and I've tried to steer them against installing the letters on the fence and produce an actual standalone monument sign, but they're all over this fence idea. I think it's a bad idea. Has anyone ever done anything like this? What would you propose to the client?

A couple pics attached, one showing an example of similar signage, though not on a private fence. The other is the actual fence.
(I'm laughing looking at this again...between the huge boulders and the growing trees the signs won't even be visible in a few years)

Halo lit wood monument.jpg 20230629_174848.jpg

unclebun

Have them build a section of "fence" in front of the fence that is built tighter and stronger than the fence. More like your other photo. Put the letters on that. Wiring and ballasts are then hidden by the actual fence, and not subject to something down the line on the fence pulling it off plumb.

gnubler

Agreed, thanks. That's what I've been suggesting, to actually build a monument for their monument sign but for whatever reason they're adamant about wanting it on the main fence.

As Gino has said, "Never let a customer dictate how to make or install a sign..."

visual800

I wouldnt do it...fence will look like crap one day not to mention shrinking of wood and the view from other side. BUT customers know best so price that thing up

MikePro

i've put reverse channel letters everywhere. ...even on rooflines that have no backwall to shine light against (i know rite?)
there can be ways to cleanup/hide the power&mounts, aestetically, from the from & back, or even make a clever raceway that the letters mount-to that completely runs the power to the side of the fenceline.

if it were me, and they were hellbent on RevCL, I'd make a pan with a finish similiar or beautifully contrasting to the wood pattern of the fence, and just mount the whole thing with lettering already assembled&wired to the fence or onto legs set in concrete in front of it so it floats in front-of the fence without requiring to be supported by it.
this way, you won't have to tip-toe around fiddling with someone else's side of the fence, whilst also not turning the backside of your signage into a spotlight that shines into the neighboring property.

Last edited:

gnubler

Thanks for all the replies, I'll convey this info to my customer.
I'm going to pass on the job, I can sense it's going to turn into permit hell. They've pissed the city off repeatedly with this development so I don't want to get involved.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Besides fence boards not being very solid, looking at the gaps between the boards on the fence, the private lot behind it is gonna get a lot of streaks of light shining through using halo's. Don't know if that'll be an issue, but something else to consider. Putting another structure in front of it would be the best, and the least PITA. Since they already have those in charge of permitting against them, passing on it is a viable option. I would never mount halo's or channel letters straight to cedar fence boards, but I love a challenge.

One option is lettering on a raceway where attachment points would be at fence posts hidden behind the fence, would be better than straight to the fence boards and be subject to warping and several other problems.

Another option, a shaped aluminum support for the halo letters covered with faux wood vinyl, less liability since the fence probably isn't fire rated. Attach to fence posts hidden behind the fence for support with standoffs. That way it's not mounted to flimsy fence boards, the standoffs will give the space you need behind for conduit & wiring, and give an air gap to release moisture to prevent fence behind from rotting/ warping. You can make/ assemble it at the shop (or my first choice, design it & sub it out), run your conduit & wiring, and just hang it like any other sign. And everything is accessible from one side.

Attachments

• fence sign.jpg
    fence sign.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 134

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd make a pan with a finish similiar or beautifully contrasting to the wood pattern of the fence, and just mount the whole thing with lettering already assembled&wired to the fence or onto legs set in concrete in front of it so it floats in front-of the fence without requiring to be supported by it.
Brilliant. Plus, you won't have light leaks into the unfortunate yard with the letters mounted to it...

gnubler

Great ideas DL, thanks. I originally suggested things like that to the customer for all the reasons you stated, they said no and insisted they want the letters installed directly on the fence. I already passed on the job a few months ago but they came back for whatever reason. Now I'm going to pass again!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just add a line item of permit obtention and make it $1,400 + tx

In addition to the cost and installation of the job, that should make it worth some time to get a permit. If ya can't answer all their questions down at city hall, THEN pass on it.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Great ideas DL, thanks. I originally suggested things like that to the customer for all the reasons you stated, they said no and insisted they want the letters installed directly on the fence. I already passed on the job a few months ago but they came back for whatever reason. Now I'm going to pass again!
They probably came back in desperation because every other shop they contacted told them the same thing you did, or passed on it for the same reasons. As set in their ways as they seem, it's a no-brainer to figure out why the development is such a permit nightmare.

Aaron Hunter

Would they take a Channel Cabinet w/Routed Acrylic Push Thru's? Same-ish look but has the needed structure for install as well as housing for your PS's.

gnubler

Looks like this sign finally went up...five months later. I turned down the job and don't know who ended up doing it, but it was done as I'd described to the customer. The letters are mounted on a nice piece of what appears to be cedar as a backer, and not directly to the fence. Evidently another shop was able to convince them this is the way to do it.

gnubler

Take a stroll by the letters, get a picture of the little UL label that should be on the bottom left corner, it should have a number starting with E, plug it in and see who manufactured them.
Yup, was planning to do just that. "Sign shop recon"