• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a 4x6ft wood sign

gnubler

Sounds plausible, except I saw mention at one point that he's like 6'7" and 300#. Calls for an excavator, not a shovel.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
He's much bigger. I went to visit him at Sea World last week and he was humping the lady walruseses.
PXL_20230107_192058230.jpg

fixtureman

Here you would dig the hole 36 to 40 inches deep and pour in a base of concrete. Then when that is set put your posts in and backfill. Also they will use sona tubes put the posts in them and fill with concrete. I have seen to many posts that were set using concrete that the frost had lifted them up

gnubler

There's a great thread on here somewhere about the drill auger for post hole boring. I think it was started by Tex? Like others here I have to contend with extremely rocky soil. Digging two post holes is usually not an easy feat.

gnubler

Yes. The "foreman" holding their shade umbrella probably ran out for a cold drink to take a break from all that hard umbrella holding.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've tried a hammer drill in dry clay and it's like concrete...doesn't break up. I have a breaker bar on the truck and that's the only way I found

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Let's be honest. There's a right way to dig a trench and if you're gonna make a career out of it, you can't start throwing dirt and risk wrenching your back. So I give these guys an A+

Johnny Best

Brother from another mother. You must have the minority jobs wrapped up, you could even be the US Vice President.

boardboy330

Here in VA we go 24" to 30" deep, depending on the height of the sign. It sounds like it will be relatively low to the ground. If you feel the need, use sonotubes, but a hole with concrete will suffice. This is just my opinion.