• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a long decal 30 ft

We are going to be installing a 30 inch by 30 foot decal on both sides of a truck with thankfully no rivets.

I'm wondering the best way to go about it...should I print it in 2 or 3 pieces with overlap? or could I get lucky with a center hinge or multiple hinges..

More I think about it the more it sounds like a stupid question...of course make it in several pieces..
or is there a 3rd way?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What size is your printer ?? Can you actually track 30' without skewing ?? If so, I'd print the entire 30', get a starting point and squeegee away. You are laminating it..... right ??

By the way, what media did you choose to print onto ??

IJ160C...the printer is 64 inch versa-art will be lammed with 210. The truck surface is smooth, flat, and painted (fiberglass maybe).

The printer will certainly track 30 ft

You think it won't move up or down too much?

HulkSmash

used 210 lam about a year ago on a van flat decal. Shrunk already.. so i'd rethink the lam.

as for the method, 1 piece.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
IJ160C...the printer is 64 inch versa-art will be lammed with 210. The truck surface is smooth, flat, and painted (fiberglass maybe).

The printer will certainly track 30 ft

You think it won't move up or down too much?

If you're talking about while laying the vinyl on the side..... no, it won't move up & down unless you do it wrong. Things such as vinyl have no capabilities of moving up & down on their own. It would be you.... the applicator, whom will be moving it up & down should it go wonky on you.

Put a few tick lines down and make sure you hit every one of them and you can't stray off course.

tsgstl

hinge about 3' in, put that 3' down
then roll the other 27' on a cardboard tube
have someone hold the tube straight and feed it to you as you go
have scissors handy to cut off the backing every 5' or so
that's how I do it, sometimes I put a piece of masking tape as a marker every 5'-10' to make sure I'm aligned, it can run on you, especially if you are using heat.

ChicagoGraphics

I would do it one piece and do like Gino mentioned put a few lines and keep to them, it shouldn't move up or down on you. If your have another person you can start from one end while the other person rolls it out and matches it to the lines.

Marlene

if you have the option to panel, go with panels and not the whole 30' lenght. if it is on the side of a truck and your material isn't too thick and your overlaps too big, it should look fine.

J

john1

thanks all...hmm 210 is no good?? Lotsa signs out there with it...

Yeah but putting cheaper vinyl/laminate on vehicle paint is a different story. The shrinkage will make a glue ring around the entire design and look bad. The glue ring will get dirty and show like crazy on a vehicle.

Yeah but putting cheaper vinyl/laminate on vehicle paint is a different story. The shrinkage will make a glue ring around the entire design and look bad. The glue ring will get dirty and show like crazy on a vehicle.

its black :thumb: and 10 feet up...still a problem?

So in other words always use cast vinyl and lam on vehicles?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
its black :thumb: and 10 feet up...still a problem?

So in other words
always use cast vinyl and lam on vehicles?

Well, suffice it to say, it's a really good policy to put in your marketing plan.

Do you want to try and remember what you used to do what and with who on their signs or trucks or just be able to sleep at night without those problems on your nerves ??

HulkSmash

There are a crap ton of companies who put cast vinyl on their invoices, and wrap or decal in calendered. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.

CentralSigns

you should start in the center then its only 15 ft each way. Slit the backing in the middle, then tape across the middle just right of your slit. Do the left hinge first, then do the right. That's my suggestion.

print all 30' man very east install if done right just make good wax pencil marks while you have it mocked up for registration marks as you squeegee down and hinge a few feet and roll it just like tsgstl said and you should be money......good luck!

lexsigns

There are a crap ton of companies who put cast vinyl on their invoices, and wrap or decal in calendered. I couldn't sleep at night if I did that.

:thumb:me either - thats why I am not the cheapest around. I wont do crap unless client specifys they want crap- then I double the price...LOL

boxerbay

single piece. tape it up straight then use hash marks wax pencil every foot. start at one end and hit your hash marks using the flap method.