• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing inside of a hair salon without getting hair on it

DeadDoc

Does anyone have any ways of eliminating hair from ever getting on the vinyl adhesive while installing inside of a hair salon?

I have done a few hair salons and for the most part no issues. Occasionally I will have hair go between the surface and the vinyl but usually no one says anything or it was able to be fixed the second time. I clean the entire area, frame and all. Dust with a Swiffer pad and check before install.

This one job now has had hair stuck in between the frost vinyl and the window twice! I even did the removal of the backer in the air to help but obviously that did not. I apparently did not catch this as they called the office while I was on my way back in.

I would love to tell the person just get frosted glass and paint the name on but they never seem to like that answer of pay more.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Maybe a tack rag?
Really, vinyl is always going to be staticy, so no amount of prep in a hair salon can guarantee hair-free.

DeadDoc

I completely forgot about tack cloths! Sometimes I feel like my projects managers can never bring these clients down from the clouds and actually tell them realistic expectations.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They need to provide you with a completely clean and uncontaminated work area. You are not responsible for cleaning up their mess. That could mean you go in at 6 in the morning, And no work being done within 10' of where you are working.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I mean honestly this almost sounds like an attempt at ironic humor. "I installed vinyl graphics at an operating hair salon and there's a hair under the vinyl." I feel for the OP, it seems like a nearly impossible task accomplish.

I don't suppose it would be possible to install in smaller pieces so it would be easier to keep it hair free?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If all else fails bring your lunch or dinner with you. Preferably something with a liquid surface area like a bowl of soup. All of the loose hair in the place will be drawn into it like light trying to escape a black hole.

DeadDoc

They need to provide you with a completely clean and uncontaminated work area. You are not responsible for cleaning up their mess. That could mean you go in at 6 in the morning, And no work being done within 10' of where you are working.
Then it would sounds like outside of operating hours are the only way to operate this job if that even would save it. It is a tight corridor setup (probably 4ft wide) that runs in a rectangle "ring" on the inside and outside of this ring. One one is in their own room with 3 window panes on the wall and 3 matching panes on a sliding door.

I mean honestly this almost sounds like an attempt at ironic humor. "I installed vinyl graphics at an operating hair salon and there's a hair under the vinyl." I feel for the OP, it seems like a nearly impossible task accomplish.

I don't suppose it would be possible to install in smaller pieces so it would be easier to keep it hair free?
They are wanting a frosted window pane so not sure that works. Photo attached.

Could also be a static issue may need to add humidity
It could be that factor, I have less issues in windy areas (average wind is probably 10-20mph) with dirt kicking up than I do at hair salons. Also outside is usually 60%-100% except around now where only a week ago we dropped into the teens for humidity.

Attachments

• 20220202_115511.jpg
    20220202_115511.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 136

Stacey K

I like making signs
Good luck. I wrapped 8 salon stations with black matte vinyl last year. It was the most discusting job ever! I swept, vaccumed...I was covered in hair 2 days in a row. And yes, some hair got wrapped but there wasn't much else I could do. GROSS!!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute....... you're putting this on, on the outside of the door ?? How can you claim they are contaminating it ?? I thought that was a reverse application from the inside.

DeadDoc

Wait a minute....... you're putting this on, on the outside of the door ?? How can you claim they are contaminating it ?? I thought that was a reverse application from the inside.
It's essential a barn style building. I am not claiming anyone is doing it but there are lots of salons inside this building with doors open and everyone has to walk by me.

DeadDoc

Just for a little bit of background on me. This is not even my second year at installation with ZERO TRAINING! This has been my main source of training. I got tossed into this position during a move as they shut my old location down which outsourced all of the installation and someone walked out the day before I moved down here.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I didn't say you were accusing them or anyone else of messing up your job. You are in fact not keeping your area clean. You most likely need to cordon off the area where you are working and tell them, they cannot disturb you, unless someone is being removed from the premises by a stretcher. Just like they have their work stations, you need to advise them of your needs or they just accept the hair that is extra.