• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Installing Reflective Vinyl

marcia

Hello, I am producing some reflective building identification signs for a power plant. The signs don't need to meet any specified standards. I will be purchasing aluminum blanks with Engineer Grade Prismatic Vinyl background. I will then install the building names over it using Oracal 5700 reflective cut vinyl in black. Will this work? Can cut vinyl be layered over prismatic vinyl without any issues? I'm new to using reflective vinyl and want to make sure there aren't any surprises in what I plan on doing. Thanks for your feedback!

Billct2

No problem layering the vinyl, but what color is the background? Black reflective lights up white, so if the background is white it won;t be legible. For black lettering on white reflective I use my regular cast black vinyl.

marcia

Oh wow, didn't know the black reflects white, I thought I had read somewhere it reflects almost a brownish color. Man, that would have been an awful error...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some give off a goldish hue, while some look light grey. Regardless, just use straight black for your lettering as the others have suggested and you should be fine.

SignosaurusRex

This.. :goodpost:
Oracal 5700 reflective Black typically illuminates as an Amber/Light Gold-ish. The general rule-of-thumb when working with Reflectives is "Non-reflective letters on reflective background" and visa-versa, always keeping in mind the contrasts with illumination as well as without.
Additionally...Never apply reflective vinyl using the "wet" method.