• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing Vinyl Glass storefront...

Tony Rome

Sometimes I spend a little too much time making sure my graphic is straight on a window. It doesn't help I will admit I don't have a great eye to line up just on sight alone.

I am thinking there is a method (probably pretty simple) that I should be aware of.

If it is nice squared or text or straight image it is easier, but I seem to do a lot of crazy fonts where there really isn't a straight line to measure or level.

If I have straight text I would usually measure from the end to the top (or bottom) of window on each right and left side.

Here is an idea I thought would make it easier, but feel free to shoot it down because I never heard/saw anyone do this, so I am guessing there is a good reason.
I thought, what if I just created a horizontal line on the very top, maybe bottom too, and just lined it up with that and peeled it off when i am done with the install?

Any advice?
Please try to be nice, I realize I may be setting myself up here.
I will take some abuse as long as it comes with an answer, lol.

HulkSmash

If you're just installing text, add a box to your text that's centered inside it, and then di-cut that with your text. when you cut it out after masking, use a ruler and cut the the box edge, measure to that.

BelangerSigns

I thought, what if I just created a horizontal line on the very top, maybe bottom too, and just lined it up with that and peeled it off when i am done with the install?

I do this when i'm doing vinyl on coroplast signs. I just peel back the lining of the vinyl to show the line fold it under then line it op with the top edge stick it, pull the rest of my backing off and lay it down. I don't see anything wrong with what you said. It's easy and quick plus if you know how far up you put the line you can measure off of it. Hope that made sense. Its late lol and i'm done with signs for tonight. Good Night.

Bly

Put some level marks on the other side with a stabilo then lay a strip of masking tape on it. Easier to align than placing then measuring half a dozen times.

Jillbeans

I usually just draw a line on top of the masking paper with a yardstick and a pencil.
If you're worried that you don't know where the bottoms are on a curly or crazy letter, just leave the weed border on the vinyl and use that as a straight edge.
Love....Jill

Marlene

take the finished pre-masked vinyl lightly fold in half s and drag a pencil to make tick mark at the top or bottom for a center line. draw a baseline left to right. when you get to the window, measure it and put a piece of masking tape on the glass, mark center on it. it will give you a visual center and then just measure from your baseline to make sure it's straight. if you all ready know the width of the glass, do the math back at the shop so all you have to do is do center, measure one side the distance to figured out at your shop and then just use the basline to make sure it is all straight

striper14

I usually just draw a line on top of the masking paper with a yardstick and a pencil.
If you're worried that you don't know where the bottoms are on a curly or crazy letter, just leave the weed border on the vinyl and use that as a straight edge.
Love....Jill

+1 weed borders rule lol

John Butto

measuring

Never do I measure from the top or bottom of the glass to see if it is level. If the glass frame is crooked, your lettering will be crooked. Use a level.
Pre draw your line for level as best you can if there are multiple characters and your center line.

anotherdog

Never do I measure from the top or bottom of the glass to see if it is level. If the glass frame is crooked, your lettering will be crooked. Use a level.
Pre draw your line for level as best you can if there are multiple characters and your center line.

+1 I have seen so many skew and twisted windows. You have a choice; align to the window, the building or the sprit level. All can be different.

xxaxx

Like others have suggested, just cut it out with a box centered around the text ... Mask then cut out to the edge of the box ... Quick, easy and accurate

Mosh

I do both level and measure. Sometimes a level sign on a crooked window looks funny too...

J Hill Designs

measure, check with level, check with eye, in that order

edit: and to answer your questions, sometimes I will put reference boxes/lines, and peel them off after install. I use triangles when I layer.

peavey123

haha Nice Av weirdo. jk :tongue:

I usually just place small squares on either side of the text in the cutfile and use those for alignment purposes. I use the square idea for lining up layered vinyl as well.