• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Installing vinyl over the bars on large windows

Angela

Hello,
Attached is a picture of the store front I am to install cut vinyl on. I want to go over the bars with the vinyl. I am wondering if any of you might have a video of how that is done. We do it one way, but I think there might be an easier way. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Attachments

• windows.JPG
    windows.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 499

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I would consider a design that does not cover the mullions. No matter how you do it, any text or recognizable image will distort when viewing the installation from any angle other than "straight on". If you can limit your text and images to spaces within the window, you can cover the mullions with material that matches the background (if needed, probably not recommended).

Practically speaking, the human brain will process an image separated by mullions as a continuous image, despite the "bars" interrupting the image. It's only when the designer tries to be tricky that it calls attention to the incongruity. The harder you try to hide the mullions, the more they will stand out.

Notice how hokey "PROPERTY MANAGEMENT" looks in your photo. It takes the brain a few seconds to decode this segmented message. Do the letters really need to be that big? Most storefront windows like this are for pedestrian traffic walking up to the entrance. Typically, there is a main sign on a sign band above the windows that is intended for longer range viewing. If this is not the case in your situation, and the business needs a large image or text to reach a long distance, I would re-evaluate the appropriateness of the location for the business. If it is a destination business, smaller signs on the windows will work fine (the customer is going there anyhow - they just need to know they are at the right place). If the business relies on impulse purchases (Property Management would not be considered an impulse purchase), a properly designed storefront that allows for appropriate signage is essential.

visual800

when we do windows we just dont cover the mullions you can still read the sign just fine. We always cut decals back a little away from the rubber molding around them

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do full storefront window per and do not cover the mullions. I have text span 4 windows sometimes. If you want to see an example PM me.

Angela

"Notice how hokey "PROPERTY MANAGEMENT" looks in your photo. It takes the brain a few seconds to decode this segmented message. Do the letters really need to be that big? Most storefront windows like this are for pedestrian traffic walking up to the entrance. Typically, there is a main sign on a sign band above the windows that is intended for longer range viewing. If this is not the case in your situation, and the business needs a large image or text to reach a long distance, I would re-evaluate the appropriateness of the location for the business. If it is a destination business, smaller signs on the windows will work fine (the customer is going there anyhow - they just need to know they are at the right place). If the business relies on impulse purchases (Property Management would not be considered an impulse purchase), a properly designed storefront that allows for appropriate signage is essential."

I had aksed if anybody could help me with figuring out an easier way to go over the mullions. I did not ask for design opionion ("notice how hokey") or instruction. I have owned my own sign shop for 20 years and have done A LOT of windows. I know what a storefront is for. It is for whatever my customer wants. They want 24" lettering on their windows, so be it. I will guide them to get to a better design, but as far as I know, the customer is always right.

I have attached a sample of vinyl over the mullions. I think it looks a hell of a better than the artwork being seperated. I don't know how it is in Illinois, but here in California, going over the mullions is now becoming the new standard.

While your response was somewhat appreciated, it did make me feel as though I was being mansplained to, which I did not appreciate.

Attachments

• covering the mullions.JPG
    covering the mullions.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 415
  • covering the mullions.JPG
    covering the mullions.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 400

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Meeeooow little kitty....

Good job on the mullions, they look weird. And whats up with the white outline on the bottom of the triangle?

d fleming

I'm about to do 37 windows on a large liquor store, full coverage. Will not be wrapping mullions. Never have. I have had to remove old graphics from them from other people, total pita.

unclebun

https://www.easysigns.com.au/news/d...indow-graphics-need-to-allow-for-the-mullions

The only way to do an installation of vinyl that covers the mullions would be to have extra letters to go over the mullions, at least if the sides of the mullions are covered, not just the tops. And one problem you'll run into then is the vinyl not matching up where it goes from the window to the side of the mullion if there are curves and angled lines there.

If the vinyl is only on the top of the mullion, it would be a really fiddly installation, necessitating cutting the strip the goes on top of the mullion first, applying it, then putting the pieces remaining on the windows to either side. And it will only look right when viewed from directly in front as in your photo.

CanuckSigns

"

While your response was somewhat appreciated, it did make me feel as though I was being mansplained to, which I did not appreciate.

In what way does your gender come into play on this, he (I assume the poster is a male, but possibly not) provided an answer you your question, along with an explanation of how to avoid the issue in the first place, and all of a sudden he's "mansplaning" to you? if not for your user name no one would have any idea what your gender is.

Everyone is so sensitive

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I apologize for being offensive. I did not mean to be.

There are many ways to install a vinyl sign over mullions. Some of the suggestions on this thread are good. It really depends on the application.

It is my tendency to apply design principles to these problems. I am not a disciple of "the customer is always right." I figure they are hiring me FOR my design skills. I carefully listen to what the client wants, and present the best solutions I can think of. Whether or not those solutions are something I can supply the client is irrelevant. I get paid for design.

Angela

Thank you for the apology, I appreciate it.

I too am hired for my design skills, I listen, I guide, but you can only lead a horse to water.... I can't tell you how many hideous signs I have had to do because someone "looooooves" what they have designed in power point. After many years of dealing with customers I have learned when to back off and just let it ride.

Thank you again :)

Angela

In what way does your gender come into play on this, he (I assume the poster is a male, but possibly not) provided an answer you your question, along with an explanation of how to avoid the issue in the first place, and all of a sudden he's "mansplaning" to you? if not for your user name no one would have any idea what your gender is.

Everyone is so sensitive

I am far from sensitive. My response to him was that, I just ask if anyone had an easier way to deal the the window bars and was given a lesson on design and how the brain works and how a storefront should be. So yea, I was going to use the word condescending but I felt that was a little to harsh, hence mansplaining.

Angela

when we do windows we just dont cover the mullions you can still read the sign just fine. We always cut decals back a little away from the rubber molding around them

We do not do the mullions most of the time either, but it is something that I am getting requests for. Which is why I was wondering if anybody had an easier way to do it.

Angela

https://www.easysigns.com.au/news/d...indow-graphics-need-to-allow-for-the-mullions

The only way to do an installation of vinyl that covers the mullions would be to have extra letters to go over the mullions, at least if the sides of the mullions are covered, not just the tops. And one problem you'll run into then is the vinyl not matching up where it goes from the window to the side of the mullion if there are curves and angled lines there.

If the vinyl is only on the top of the mullion, it would be a really fiddly installation, necessitating cutting the strip the goes on top of the mullion first, applying it, then putting the pieces remaining on the windows to either side. And it will only look right when viewed from directly in front as in your photo.

Thank you :)

burgmurk

So yea, I was going to use the word condescending but I felt that was a little to harsh, hence mansplaining.

I would have been condescending too, due to the use of the term "window bars". I was thinking a security/prison bar type scenario and trying to fathom how and why anybody would wrap those, that's the only reason i opened this thread.

But it wouldn't have been "mansplaining"! i didn't even notice your name or assume your gender until you said "mansplaining".

Anyways, problem at hand. The solution is simple, you try your damnedest to talk the client out of it! If that fails you print the mullion areas separately with however much extra material you need and charge a premium for the hassle.