• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IP Phones & IP Cameras - Suggestions/Reviews

TwoNine

We are moving into a new space shortly and we have chosen to move back over to IP phones. Currently I am looking at RingCentral vs. Nextiva for the features I want and would like input as to if anyone currently or have ever used these companies and what you thought about them. Head to head they have similar features and the cost for 7 users/lines is within $2.00 of one another. So cost aside - what are your thoughts? Any really good or bad experiences with either?

Also - upgrading the cameras inside and outside the shop and was looking for suggestions on brands and megapixel recommendations. The only stipulation on the cameras is that they be IP. I know this has been discussed on here, but after seeing the post the other day, regarding a request for people to try and clear up the fuzzy pics of the intruders, made me want to ask again and see what works great and what works "good" or even better information - what works terribly.

And on a side note - For both of these systems to work optimally the router has to be top notch - so if anyone has and recommendations on those too I would be interested to hear.

I thank you all for your time and look forward to hearing some honest reviews regarding service and performance.

Thanks again!
-Chad

Matt-Tastic

if you're really jumping in to the PBX game, get an integrated system. Cicso makes a router/software/pbx solution that is top notch. with VPN addition, you can access your PBX by cell phone.

You're going to pay for a solid smart router ($500+), not to mention someone to configure and troubleshoot. The last thing you want is to lose business because your phone system stops working and you don't know why.

TXFB.INS

switched to ringcentral several months back and it has been very good, the only complaint was the limited phone options they carried,

mnapuran

+1 on FreePBX or Asterisk. We've been using this for many years. 2 phone numbers, 10 usable lines (more limited by our bandwidth then anything), and our average monthly bill is $15 :wink:

I just used an old HP rackmount server (overkill really) and a wholesale SIP provider. We are using AAstra phones (including wireless)

BrianKE

I recently installed an 8 camera system from NightOwl for a friend at their workplace. The system I got provided the DVR unit (without a hard drive though) and 8 cameras that provide a very good color picture when the area is lit up and a very decent night image (infrared). The system comes without a hard drive so that you can put in whatever size you want depending on how many cameras you have and how long you want to archive the images. Installing the HDD is super simple, case contains connecting cables and mounting points/hardware.

The package came with the DVR unit, cameras and cable for the cameras (I think 50' of cable for each camera). Super easy to install, hardest part was running the cables above the drop ceiling.

The cameras can be setup for motion activated or always on. The DVR takes care of deleting the oldest files as needed when more room is required on the HDD. The system also comes with software for iPhone and Android for viewing the cameras via your smartphone. You can also view/maintain the cameras via a webpage.

Not sure if the cameras that came with the package are suitable for outdoor but I bought the package at MicroCenter and there were a dozen different cameras sold separately that all worked with this system. The cameras that came with the system are static (don't move or zoom) but the DVR system can control cameras that have this feature if you buy a camera with these features.

All in all, very pleased with the system.

particleman

Just something to consider, but 7 active lines can saturate an internet connection easily depending on your UPSTREAM! Be sure to check the codec they are using and how much bandwidth your connection has. If all of your bandwidth is saturated no router can keep good call quality.

We used Fonality PBX (hosted locally) and also used Nextiva SIP trunks. I will say from experience make sure your router has EXCELLENT QOS for SIP. Nothing is more frustrating when someone is downloading a large file on FTP and you can't have a conversation on the phone. I can't stress enough to find a nice router!

ironchef

I just bought a 8 camera qsee kit . No ip phone. Just a landline with comcast. Will that be affected by 8 cameras?

CS-SignSupply-TT

Cisco

if you're really jumping in to the PBX game, get an integrated system. Cicso makes a router/software/pbx solution that is top notch. with VPN addition, you can access your PBX by cell phone.

You're going to pay for a solid smart router ($500+), not to mention someone to configure and troubleshoot. The last thing you want is to lose business because your phone system stops working and you don't know why.

Vocalocity uses CISCO equipment. Great service!