• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IPad. Is it worth it.

Joe Diaz

The one thing I could foresee being a problem, when you are on the go and don't want to break out the keyboard, is having the usability of shortcuts while drawing.

Yeah they need programmable buttons on the side like on the Cintiqs.
Since it runs Win 7 you could use software with macro buttons that would do essentially the same thing on the screen.

The pressure sensitivity is a plus though, I also like that I could install coredraw and painter.

2972renfro

ASUS EP121 looks pretty slick...awaiting some more user reviews before I get one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAZg9bEPm1E

I really want to be able to draw on a pad!

Wow after watching that video I am neither impressed with the Cintiq nor that Asus. There seems to be alot of lag on the stylus touching the screen and the resulting brush stroke. I tried the same thing on PHotoshop and my intuous tablet has no lag whatsoever

Can anyone with a cintiq confirm this?

TheSellOut

IPAD > every other tablet....

Jim not against that ASUS I posted...In my opinion, having a true Wacom Digitizer built in is a major step up above ALL other tablets!

Yeah they need programmable buttons on the side like on the Cintiqs.
Since it runs Win 7 you could use software with macro buttons that would do essentially the same thing on the screen.

The pressure sensitivity is a plus though, I also like that I could install coredraw and painter.

Good point Joe...as of now this is definitely the Tablet for me due to the fact that it has that digitizer and can run programs such as Adobe and Corel!

2972renfro

That Asus is in a different league from an ipad. It is somewhere between an ipad and a laptop. I would not compare the two. I am sure that if apple wanted to produce an Asus equivalent they could do so, but it would be thinner, sleeker and albeit more expensive

Apple said they did not want to produce a laptop replacement

showcase 66

Well, I just got picked up and Ipad. Actually traded out part of it with the apple retailer here. We dont have an Apple store around here. Got the 32 GB Ipad 2. Havent had an Apple product since the first Ipod when it came out. Only had that for a month before someone stole it from me.

Getting everything ready to setup the ipad.

What are some apps that you recommend. I think it is ink pad that I have heard everyone talk about.

Thanks for the pros and cons.

signmeup

Wow after watching that video I am neither impressed with the Cintiq nor that Asus. There seems to be alot of lag on the stylus touching the screen and the resulting brush stroke. I tried the same thing on PHotoshop and my intuous tablet has no lag whatsoever

Can anyone with a cintiq confirm this?
I thought the same thing... that lag looked atrocious. I think that would bother me quite a bit. (my $37 tablet has zero lag if anyone cares)

Sure does look cool to draw right on the screen though.

omgsideburns

Tablet PCs have been around a long time. The iPad is the first one that the general computing population has actually paid attention to, and there is a reason for that.

SignManiac

What are some apps that you recommend. I think it is ink pad that I have heard everyone talk about. Thanks for the pros and cons.

Art Studio is a good app for drawing with.
GoodReader
Go to my PC
Notes Plus
Drop Box
Dragon Dictation

Pandora is a must.

And if you like games, Quarters, Tetris, Pinball HD

SignGuru could come in handy along with the Pantone color charts.

Since you have the iPad 2 with cameras, get My Measures.

showcase 66

Art Studio is a good app for drawing with.
GoodReader
Go to my PC
Notes Plus
Drop Box
Dragon Dictation

Pandora is a must.

And if you like games, Quarters, Tetris, Pinball HD

SignGuru could come in handy along with the Pantone color charts.

Since you have the iPad 2 with cameras, get My Measures.

Pandora was one of the first I downloaded. won't have much time to mess with it for most of the day. Or I won't get any work done. Will take a look at everything tonight. Thanks for the recommendations.

cmaxdesigns

Most of us know what it is like to be copied or downright had our creative be stolen from us. Yet the same people who have had this happened want to buy products from companies who copied others products. Think about the Ipod and all the companies who came out with MP3 players afterward yet the original was the winner. Then the Iphone comes out and Motorola/Google copy the product the best they can which is no Iphone but they still are copying it. Then the Ipad comes out and next a motorola/google tablet/slate type product follows it.

Google and Motorola are not innovators and are far less creative then Apple. Why would anyone want to purchase from companies who just follow the best one. And for all that are wondering the Motorola Zoom and Google OS will never be as seamless as Apple Ipad or Iphone. It does not talk seamlessly with your home computer. An Ipad, Iphone and Imac or Macbook are so well intergrated that data, contacts and downloads are easily accessible.

The Ipad has so many great features. They will come out with a new feature soon that will blow away the competition, guess what Motorola and google will follow.

I rarely use my Macbook anymore. The Ipad is unbelievable when using abroad, and it connects to your home computer via remote desktop seemlessly.

signmeup

Most of us know what it is like to be copied or downright had our creative be stolen from us. Yet the same people who have had this happened want to buy products from companies who copied others products. Think about the Ipod and all the companies who came out with MP3 players afterward yet the original was the winner. Then the Iphone comes out and Motorola/Google copy the product the best they can which is no Iphone but they still are copying it. Then the Ipad comes out and next a motorola/google tablet/slate type product follows it.

Google and Motorola are not innovators and are far less creative then Apple. Why would anyone want to purchase from companies who just follow the best one. And for all that are wondering the Motorola Zoom and Google OS will never be as seamless as Apple Ipad or Iphone. It does not talk seamlessly with your home computer. An Ipad, Iphone and Imac or Macbook are so well intergrated that data, contacts and downloads are easily accessible.

The Ipad has so many great features. They will come out with a new feature soon that will blow away the competition, guess what Motorola and google will follow.

I rarely use my Macbook anymore. The Ipad is unbelievable when using abroad, and it connects to your home computer via remote desktop seemlessly.
I'm guessing in your perfect world there would also be only one kind of car.:rolleyes:

Joe Diaz

Most of us know what it is like to be copied or downright had our creative be stolen from us. Yet the same people who have had this happened want to buy products from companies who copied others products.

:rolleyes:Following that logic, none of us should buy an iPod (not the first mp3 player) or an iPhone (not the first smart phone) or an iPad (not the first tablet) or a macbook (not the first laptop) or an iMac (not the first all-in-one)...

I could keep going, but you get my point. I swear, if mac fanboys would take a look at the world outside of the shiny safe bubble that is mactopia, they would realize how many great gadgets have been invented before Apple made their version of the same thing. Sure, after the fact, Apple may have made improvements to an older idea, but why is that innovation, but when someone else makes improvements past the iProduct, it is copying or ripping off? and anyone who dosn't own an apple iWhatever should be ashamed of themselves?? :rolleyes:

cmaxdesigns

Following that logic, none of us should buy an iPod (not the first mp3 player) or an iPhone (not the first smart phone) or an iPad (not the first tablet) or a macbook (not the first laptop) or an iMac (not the first all-in-one)...

I could keep going, but you get my point.

No I don't get your point. The Iphone is nothing like the previous "Smartphones". The previous smart phones did not have an app store, integration with a music library like Itunes, visual voicemail etc. Iphone transcended the "smartphone" to something completely different. Droid OS just tried to copy the Iphone.

Ipad is the first tablet/slate of it's kind. You do not use a stylus to control it. Give me an example of something before Ipad that resembles it please?? The only thing before Ipad ran on windows OS. It is funny the argument when Ipad came out was that it was just like the Iphone now it is what like the previous tablets that were just stylus touch screens that ran on Windows OS??

Again just because these products live in a category that have previously built products they are completely different. Motorola and Google try and copy them closely though.

cmaxdesigns

I'm guessing in your perfect world there would also be only one kind of car.:rolleyes:

Hey genius, could a smart car transport a family of 7?? Or could it transport a boat that weighs 8,000 lbs.?? Different needs require different cars. Ipad and Motorola access virtually the same information and operate close to the same. Never said that there should not be multiple products to choose from but it is ridiculous how closely Google and Motorola have followed Apples lead. Yes I will be a fan of innovation. People should start calling Motorola and Google "China" for it replication of others products.

weaselboogie

The first mp3 player was the Rio PMP300 player, IBM created the first smart phone in the late 90's, and tablet computers were being made in the late 90's also, so I don't know why you think apple was first, they just made them popular. So, who is copying whom?

I also find if funny that XEROX was the first company that came up with the idea of the 'desktop' whereas you have a device in hand that moves around to navigate ( the mouse ).

WildWestDesigns

No I don't get your point. The Iphone is nothing like the previous "Smartphones". The previous smart phones did not have an app store, integration with a music library like Itunes, visual voicemail etc. Iphone transcended the "smartphone" to something completely different. Droid OS just tried to copy the Iphone.

Those would be the expansion of something old that he was talking about.

Ipad is the first tablet/slate of it's kind. You do not use a stylus to control it. Give me an example of something before Ipad that resembles it please?? The only thing before Ipad ran on windows OS. It is funny the argument when Ipad came out was that it was just like the Iphone now it is what like the previous tablets that were just stylus touch screens that ran on Windows OS??

I do believe Fujistu had a line of tablets before the iPad that were dual input(stylus and finger).

Again just because these products live in a category that have previously built products they are completely different. Motorola and Google try and copy them closely though.

I think you did miss it. Joe's point(from my interpretation of it is) that Apple wasn't the first one out there (innovator), they took what was there and improved upon it(depending on your viewpoint of improvement). Now if PC companies did that, it would be called stealing or ripping off Apple. Apple does it and they are bringing products into a league of their own.