• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is Gerber stll solidly in the Sign Business?

TRiTONdesign

I'm looking for new equipment, I've had Gerber stuff for decades, but with Lectra buying Gerber And most Gerber videos online are 4-10 years old I'm nervous about investing in more Gerber. Are they still a player in the sign industry?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm looking for new equipment, I've had Gerber stuff for decades, but with Lectra buying Gerber And most Gerber videos online are 4-10 years old I'm nervous about investing in more Gerber. Are they still a player in the sign industry?
Lectra is primarily involved with the textile industry, which makes it fairly obvious as to why they were interested in Gerber.

Here's a statement from their web page https://www.lectra.com/en/about-us/our-corporate-updates

Since many of the technologies they manufacture are related, and or are similar in basic construction, one would believe it only makes sense that they stay a center-stage player in the graphics / sign industries. But with that said, it remains to be seen as to which market segments of those industries they will ultimately focus upon. Since we live in a volatile world of M&As beholden to shareholder's interests, spin offs are always a possibility.

They mention being a significant focus in Industry 4.0 (IOT - Internet of things). Which essentially means more connectivity...an ecosystem I personally detest.

Being rather fresh into this merger, I wouldn't think they're going to do anything drastic for a good while. And I'd suspect they'll be treating the Gerber clientele with kid gloves.

I'd be interested in hearing from any recent Gerber customers as to what they are experiencing.

JB

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If it gets anymore difficult or expensive to buy Gerber-brand roll vinyl in specific opaque or translucent colors they're not going to stay in that business much longer. So much sign work is just getting knee-jerk output via large format digital printers more and more, even if the stuff doesn't look as good or hold up as well as cut colored vinyl. I prefer using colored translucent vinyl on certain back-lit jobs, but suppliers are requiring some ridiculously large minimum orders to get a color (like buying a 50 yard roll). That just invites the project being spat out of a printer, even if the graphics are just a contour cut solid color. Some colored acrylic sheets can be difficult or expensive to buy, thus pushing the print thing more. It just sucks.

Jburns

I hope so. I keep buying their foils, and would think that is a good consumable business that is running for them!

netsol

Premium Subscriber
Even if gerber abandons that infustry,
Foils will still be available from zero nine. Parts (often used) will still be around. The plotter doctor isn't going amywhere. Hopefully there will still be a good supply of punched vinyl

I have a smc 4 (since 1992)
3 edges
2 15" plotters
An oddessey

Scotchbrite

No comment
We're still using Gerber vinyl if that counts. I mean since it's technically made by 3M. But we haven't had any trouble getting what we need.

Anytime I need stickers printed on clear vinyl, I have a friend with an Edge that makes them. On a recent order he had to wait a while for some foils to come in, but he did get them.

Billct2

Hope not. I've been using their products since 1980 and their plotters and the Edge are two of the best technologies this business ever saw.

Bill Modzel

I'm in northwestern MI and retired. I have an Edge 2 and a Gsx plotter plus over 50 foils that I'd love to find a home for. I was just going to make a hobby out of it using Craig's List but it just wasn't coming together.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Depends on what you are looking for your new equipment to do. If you are happy with Gerber, I think you would be pretty safe to keep investing in them. We had Gerber equipment for many years, but it has been replaced with inkjet printers and wider plotters. I can't say I miss the 15" width. I don't really know what the appeal is of the Edge anymore. I guess if you're into little niche decals. There is just so many more options with an inkjet printer.

GB2

Old Member
Depends on what you are looking for your new equipment to do. If you are happy with Gerber, I think you would be pretty safe to keep investing in them. We had Gerber equipment for many years, but it has been replaced with inkjet printers and wider plotters. I can't say I miss the 15" width. I don't really know what the appeal is of the Edge anymore. I guess if you're into little niche decals. There is just so many more options with an inkjet printer.
No doubt there is constant change in the business, technology and equipment but a used Gerber Edge and plotter was the first equipment I ever bought to begin my sign company and I still have and would never part with it. Granted it has now taken it's place primarily as a specialty piece of equipment but it still excels at unique things like printing on Lexan, PVC, Convex, Clear and colored vinyls... printing White, Chrome Silver & Gold...very consistent spot colors...accurate, consistent, long run plotting...and more. Believe it or not, I still have some 4 color process 3' x 6' banners out there that I Edge printed over 15 years ago and they are only lightly faded but still hanging. I imagine a new Gerber Edge is probably a hard sell these days unless it fits that specialty need for you but I'm glad I have mine!

itzdeb

Lectra is primarily involved with the textile industry, which makes it fairly obvious as to why they were interested in Gerber.

Here's a statement from their web page https://www.lectra.com/en/about-us/our-corporate-updates

Since many of the technologies they manufacture are related, and or are similar in basic construction, one would believe it only makes sense that they stay a center-stage player in the graphics / sign industries. But with that said, it remains to be seen as to which market segments of those industries they will ultimately focus upon. Since we live in a volatile world of M&As beholden to shareholder's interests, spin offs are always a possibility.

They mention being a significant focus in Industry 4.0 (IOT - Internet of things). Which essentially means more connectivity...an ecosystem I personally detest.

Being rather fresh into this merger, I wouldn't think they're going to do anything drastic for a good while. And I'd suspect they'll be treating the Gerber clientele with kid gloves.

I'd be interested in hearing from any recent Gerber customers as to what they are experiencing.

JB
I am going back into the same business after a break for almost 18 years. I had some really bad back issues but now I'm wanting to start back part time. I'm going to be buying a graphtec platter but I use Gerber Omega software, And I used to buy my final from Grimco when I was in Columbus, Ohio area.
Their high-performance was pretty good and the customers are always happy my signs lasted long long time. It was more affordable.
Believe it or not I have a Gerber for a beer sitting upstairs in my house which still works although the brackets are broken. I am going to be posting on another post hear about buying a graphtec platter and some details about that. I bought my original for a beer from Hyatts all things creative. That's probably were held by my plotter but I'm trying to get some specs because I need to buy a computer as well.

itzdeb

I am going back into the sign business after a break for almost 18 years. I had some really bad back issues but now I'm wanting to start back part time. I'm going to be buying a graphtec plotter but I use Gerber Omega software, And I used to buy my vinyl from Grimco when I was in Columbus, Ohio area.
Their high-performance was pretty good and the customers are always happy that my signs lasted long long time. It was more affordable.
Believe it or not, I have a Gerber 4b sitting upstairs in my house which still works although the brackets are broken. I am going to be posting on another post here about buying a graphtec plotter and some details about that. I bought my original 4B from Hyatts all things creative. That's probably buy my plotter but I'm trying to get some specs because I need to buy a computer as well.