• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is it an ink problem or a UV lamp problem? I wonder..

congdesign

I've been asking questions all over the place.
Even if you ask the engineer.. it's hard to find a clear answer
Leave a message for inquiry..TT

Is the ink less hardened?
When I set the lamp setting value to 100% and printed it out and touched it right away, it was not completely cured. If you dry it for about 20 to 30 minutes and rub it, it hardens well and is difficult to erase, but if you erase it with water, it erases like this. (capture5)

Is it the UV lamp or the ink?
Ink is well past its expiration date.

If you are considering buying a new UV lamp, should you buy the same model?
I wonder if there are any products that have been upgraded a little more
(The model is handtop 2017 HT1600UV.)

During printing, the UV lamps are all lit when viewed from below.

Does anyone know of a similar problem or solution please tell me?

Attachments

• capture2.jpg
    capture2.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 471
  • capture3.jpg
    capture3.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 156
  • capture4.jpg
    capture4.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 179
  • capture5.jpg
    capture5.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 164
  • capture6.jpg
    capture6.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Your question is very vague. It would help tremendously if you told us the manufacturer and model of the printer, type of ink, etc... in question?

congdesign

Your question is very vague. It would help tremendously if you told us the manufacturer and model of the printer, type of ink, etc... in question?
The product is Handtop's HT1600UV product.
Heads are Kyocera heads.

The ink is the F series ink of handtop products.
I re-uploaded the picture~ (capture4)

signheremd

If your unit uses bulbs, then yes they likely need replacing every 6-12 months. The newer LED versions have a separate unit that cools the unit and controls intensity of the lamps - so if you have a LED lamp unit, lamp intensity is likely set too low.

Water should not dissolve cured UV inks; neither should Windex; but either Isopropyl Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol will (especially if allowed to soak for a few minutes).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many hours are on your lamps ??
Are your fans operating correctly ??

Normally inks won't dry 20 minutes later, if they are UV cured, unless you'd take them outside in the sun for 1/2 a day.

Expired ink is not a good idea, either. Most inks have a shelf life of about 2 years.

AlsEU

In UV printing initial curing and polymerization give around 70% of the mechanical resistance, but secondary polymerization may last up to 24 hours after printing. If the lamps are old (and therefore weak), the ink won't get enough light to cure correctly (especially the layer closer to the substrate) and the ink adhesion may be affected. I would start with the new lamps.

petepaz

if you are getting a quality print and only having a drying/curing issue i would lean towards the lamps. that's where i would start my corrections.
like Gino asked, how many hours do you have on the lamps?
as far as the brand of lamp, if you got a good span out of the existing lamps then i wouldn't change them (unless you have an option to switch to LED lamps)

Last edited:

congdesign

If your unit uses bulbs, then yes they likely need replacing every 6-12 months. The newer LED versions have a separate unit that cools the unit and controls intensity of the lamps - so if you have a LED lamp unit, lamp intensity is likely set too low.

Water should not dissolve cured UV inks; neither should Windex; but either Isopropyl Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol will (especially if allowed to soak for a few minutes).
The LED lamp is on...
Even though I applied 100% option value, the same problem occurs.

So the expiration date of the ink is long, so I can't tell if the ink is the problem or the lamp is the problem.

Is it okay to use other company's lamps as long as they match the standard and capacity?

GC Decor

Super Printer
Your ink is expired by 2 years yikes - Huge problem right there. When using expired ink you'll get all kinds of issues. You need to flush your lines out & install new ink.
There are two filters types on that machine correct ?? Change all filters as well, these are recommended at 6 months intervals - This can cause spotty ink issues & flow problems.

Change your ink first & than run a test. On that machine your ink will be cured 100% right off the machine.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Your ink label says it was made almost 3 years ago.
I know uv inks which are expired don’t cure.
Keep in mind uv inks cure from a chemical reaction to uv light, not evaporation.
I know that the only expiration dates that are accurate are the ones on uv inks.
Bruce

congdesign

How many hours are on your lamps ??
Are your fans operating correctly ??

Normally inks won't dry 20 minutes later, if they are UV cured, unless you'd take them outside in the sun for 1/2 a day.

Expired ink is not a good idea, either. Most inks have a shelf life of about 2 years.
The water in the pen and cooler circulates very nicely.

Is changing the ink the first step?
It's a big deal to replace the ink because the ink has been discontinued...

GC Decor

Super Printer
The LED lamp is on...
Even though I applied 100% option value, the same problem occurs.

So the expiration date of the ink is long, so I can't tell if the ink is the problem or the lamp is the problem.

Is it okay to use other company's lamps as long as they match the standard and capacity?
Do the ink first, The LED lamps last a long time - Shouldn't have to replace these unless machine was damaged or ran like crazy for a few years.
Do you have the manual provided with the machine ?? It can be downloaded off the web, it has all this info in it & trouble shooting steps.

congdesign

Opinions are also mixed...
Ink & Lamp ..

Ink has been discontinued, so it's an order to change anyway...
It is difficult to replace the lamp.

Is it okay to replace it with the same option with the same specifications?
Or do I really need to use lamps of the same product?

congdesign

Do the ink first, The LED lamps last a long time - Shouldn't have to replace these unless machine was damaged or ran like crazy for a few years.
Do you have the manual provided with the machine ?? It can be downloaded off the web, it has all this info in it & trouble shooting steps.
It has been about 6 years since the machine was built.
Could you please give me a link where I can download the manual?

There is no manual..T.T

GC Decor

Super Printer
Opinions are also mixed...
Ink & Lamp ..

Ink has been discontinued, so it's an order to change anyway...
It is difficult to replace the lamp.

Is it okay to replace it with the same option with the same specifications?
Or do I really need to use lamps of the same product?
Not a opinion this one is fact - If your ink is expired by that long its not gonna cure properly & the ink wont spray correctly. Ink first & Than trouble shot other issues.
Handtop sells the correct lamps for your machine, just contact them - they can also provide the correct ink & cleaner for your machine.
You'll need to flush the system with handtop cleaner & than install new ink. Mixing new & old ink is a waste of money - You need to start fresh.

uvgerard

I've been asking questions all over the place.
Even if you ask the engineer.. it's hard to find a clear answer
Leave a message for inquiry..TT

Is the ink less hardened?
When I set the lamp setting value to 100% and printed it out and touched it right away, it was not completely cured. If you dry it for about 20 to 30 minutes and rub it, it hardens well and is difficult to erase, but if you erase it with water, it erases like this. (capture5)

Is it the UV lamp or the ink?
Ink is well past its expiration date.

If you are considering buying a new UV lamp, should you buy the same model?
I wonder if there are any products that have been upgraded a little more
(The model is handtop 2017 HT1600UV.)

During printing, the UV lamps are all lit when viewed from below.

Does anyone know of a similar problem or solution please tell me?
I am late to this party so you may already have your solution. UV lamps do not have a shelf life, Anyone telling you same is providing fake news. We manufacture UV lamps, what you are describing does not sound like a curing issue rather an adhesion issue. Depending on the ink laydown, you may be experiencing surface cure without depth of cure. Elevated surface temperature may be due to absorption of infrared from UV bulb. This would be more of a problem with dark colors. More than likely the issue lies with the ink -- ink substrate adhesion. If your UV unit has a quartz plate, check and clean to remove any ink.

garyroy

I am late to this party so you may already have your solution. UV lamps do not have a shelf life, Anyone telling you same is providing fake news. We manufacture UV lamps, what you are describing does not sound like a curing issue rather an adhesion issue. Depending on the ink laydown, you may be experiencing surface cure without depth of cure. Elevated surface temperature may be due to absorption of infrared from UV bulb. This would be more of a problem with dark colors. More than likely the issue lies with the ink -- ink substrate adhesion. If your UV unit has a quartz plate, check and clean to remove any ink.
Good to have you around. There are a lot of UV lamp questions on this forum.
Please keep dishing out your knowledge.