• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Is there any HP Latex 260 #792 3rd party printheads??

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
For PRINTHEADS I'm using 831 printheads and replacing the chip with a 792 chip. Works fine, but I suspect the printer is reading the usage and altering the voltages to the head, as there is a minor print difference between the 792 and 831 printhead if you do a status plot. But, it works and isn't noticable on prints. Ideally we can get a chip reader/flasher to "convert" 831 to 792 heads, but so far I haven't found anybody able to make one. PS - you do need to do a couple of ink fills to the new heads to flush the incorrect ink colour out first.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
The 831 heads have a totally different colour combination than the 792s... eg black isn't with yellow, and C/LC are not together...
I'm not sure how they'd work now...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
The 831 heads have a totally different colour combination than the 792s... eg black isn't with yellow, and C/LC are not together...
I'm not sure how they'd work now...
You should flush them with the right colour before use.
If not it will just flush it with the right ink when you do cleanings.

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
That would be a bit of work, sucking all the 831 incorrect half colour out, so muddiness or contamination don't wreck the tone of the refreshed heads... Do you manually refill using the dregs of old ink cartridges you've pulled apart?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
That would be a bit of work, sucking all the 831 incorrect half colour out, so muddiness or contamination don't wreck the tone of the refreshed heads... Do you manually refill using the dregs of old ink cartridges you've pulled apart?
Best to buy a new printer then if you don't have time to play around!
I doubt it would take more than 5 minutes to do one head, move the chip and push new ink into the head if you got the right tools. Even flush it with distilled water if one wanted to.

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I'm a tinkerer - hence still using the 260 - and still nurturing a 32 year old cnc router... but I was just asking for a bit of detail, re the procedures, that's all!
I saw the price of 831 heads on Ebay - quite a bit more expensive than the old 260s used to be, but it got me thinking, I have a set of good 2ndhand old 25500 or 789 heads I could repurpose...
Thanks.

StephenOrange

I converted my L280 to CMYK only some years ago after getting tired if the light colour issues. So the replacement pattern for me works out fine from 831 to 792 heads. The 831 head colour is either the same or a light version, so 2-3 head primes and I’m good to go. My problem now is the inconsistency with STS ink. The chips they use also give problems far to often.

StephenOrange

I'm a tinkerer - hence still using the 260 - and still nurturing a 32 year old cnc router... but I was just asking for a bit of detail, re the procedures, that's all!
I saw the price of 831 heads on Ebay - quite a bit more expensive than the old 260s used to be, but it got me thinking, I have a set of good 2ndhand old 25500 or 789 heads I could repurpose...
Thanks.
I’ll post more detail when I’m in front of my mac.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thanks.
Why buy from ebay when you can just buy 831 from your local hp supplier for the normal list price? Should be around ~$125 per piece.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I didn't buy from Ebay... I just had a look there, and it surprised me! I do use our local supplier - or I did when the 792s inks and cleaning cartridges were available.
But I used to get the 789 inks from Ebay for a better price than the supplier though...

george paris

Hi there! I have a different issue myself. I have a L260 that needs a new heater unit ($2800. plus installation!) I am calling it a day soon and don't want to purchase another printer. I am looking to get rid of it, (maybe someone would want it for other parts?) Any suggestions greatly appreciated! I am still running a L25500 and I have been using STS inks without any problems. I agree that the printheads from China have not been very good. (advertised in some cases as new, but one can see that they have been re-furbished, with the hp logo burned off!) I am in the Boston area.
Thanks g

george paris

Thanks Ian. I am in the US of A - Boston area. Would you like another 'spare' 260? Guess the shipping would be an issue, lol. No, I am getting out of the biz very soon and wanted to find a home for my non-working 260.

karst41

The Printhead Doctor in Canada.

This Ruskie is the Best. OEM Inks??? WHY?
If your warranty has expired

Solvent Inks come de gassed and you best about %12 more coverge.

Ask him about recovering Latex Printheads and new date coding.

This guy has been doing it a long time.

My other source has been Francisco at Chauntek USA

Great Guy.
210-388-2993

I have worked with both these guys for years.
They are friendly, dont mess around and get you a quality product in a timely manner.

Cheers

BTW,,,, You are paying what for a L of Seiko/Mimaki inks?

Just pass it along

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Hello I am based in Sydney Australia and Looking for Third Party or OEM Inks and Print Heads for Latex 260.
We're in Qld, and have a few cartridges and heads still going - but I can see the head cleaning cartridges as being a possible sourcing issue. There must be some way to get fresh paper towelling and wind up a new roll in an old head-cleaning cart...?
(I have 2 spare - so am not in panic stages yet!)