• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is this a Paypal scam

David Wright

I just sold an item on Ebay and the guy (with a very odd name) delayed and finally paid it.
Then I get this within the hour:

Hi
I just made a payment to you in the amount of $310 but infortunatly I used the wrong card. I called paypal the minute I realized it and they told me to contact you and have you reverse the payment I made and then send me another invoice so that I can use the right card. I will really appreciate this gesture from you and will be waiting to get a new invoice from you. The reason why the want you to reverse the payment is that they had me call my bank to cancel the payment or put a stop on the payment I made. And since I can not pay twice for the same item I can send any other payment until you reverse the first transaction which the bank has put a stop on as the card I use was expired.
Thanks for your comprehension.

I am not doing anything, I smell a rat. I told him to have Paypal contact me or give me their number. Right away he sent this:
You have to type in Google paypal customer services. It will bring to a page where it will ask you to log in so that they can assign you a pin # that will be ask of you when you call.
Thanks. The number is 402 935 2050

What do you think?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
How did he pay for it if the card was expired? Any online form will give you an error if the expiration date is incorrect or expired. When I punch in my card payments each week I have to fill in the expiration date and it must match the card. It will automatically decline an incorrect date

go into paypal and contact customer services within paypal website. they have an email and phone number you can contact them on within paypal

Poconopete

If he put a stop on a payment, paypal will take the funds right out of your account.
Doesn't sound right and do not google anything as all paypal contact info is available from your account.

NewSignmaker

And make sure the payment is actually showing in paypal when you login and that you didn't receive a "fake" email stating they sent you money.

WildWestDesigns

If the card is expired, what happened when I was getting payment is I still got a transaction email, but the funds never came through. Emailed customer service with the transaction number and they told me about the card and to let the payee use a different form of payment.

Nothing should have to be done on your end.

sfr table hockey

I he did actually put a stop payment on the card then you should be able to just bill him again. Do not send him back funds..... that sounds like a scam. Paypal has all his info so if it was an out dated card he could not use it in the first place.

David Wright

I found this on the PayPal forums.
question:

Is this some kind of scam? Someone bought something I sold on ebay and paid by PayPal. I received an email from them

saying they used the wrong bank account and to please refund the money. When I looked in the account, the money had indeed been paid into my account --but without me refunding anything, there was also a reversal for the same amount. People can't reverse payments at will immediately can they, without going thru a dispute process?

response:

It's not a 'dispute' reversal.

The payment bopunced, likely because the account was closed.

It can also happen with credit card payments if the CC was stolen.

Right Now it shows money in account, but if I reverse it I could compromise myself in some unforseen way.

David Wright

Oh, I am not shipping anything. Who uses a card and then minutes later realizes wrong card. Wrong in what way? Balance too high? Decide you would rather for some reason put it on another card.

I say live with it, but there may be more larceny then I can imagine.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds to me like he has stopped payment which gets him his money back and that, if you create a refund at PayPal, then he will get an extra $310 out of the deal.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
yeah you should be able to see all of your transactions. Look at your control panel (my account - recent activity) If done legitimately, then there would be $310 charge, then a $310 refund done automatically by paypal. No need for you to do it again

David Wright

After questioning him more, I get this,

Hi like I wad saying I used the wrong credit card that did not have money on it and my bank would have charge me for that. That is why I called paypal right away to see what they could do. They told me to call the bank and cancel that payment while I contact you to reverse the first payment I made so that I can resubmit the right credit card.
I am now just waiting on you to make another payment whenever you send me another payment request.

Then why does there still show $300 in my account from the transaction?

Mosh

Most KIND SIR, I will be happy for you to spend these funds from the stolen card I have used here on the most happy E-Bay. Most hast Great sir sent me a refund . God Bless. BTW I am MOST wanting 100 banners with "GOD BLESS" on them, I will be sure, good sir, to have them using our shipping company......

DUH!!!

Locals Find!

I have had paypal remove charges my credit card was used for in the recent past because my card was stolen. I know that paypal reversed those charges immediately. They don't tell you to call your bank whatsoever. They would have refunded his money instantly. Then they would have pulled the money from your account and sent you an email telling you what was happening.

The dispute resolution department over at paypal works just like your regular bank. No way would you ever have to be the one to refund the money. This guys is trying to get you to refund the money for some reason that isn't legit.

Refund Nothing. Contact paypal directly. Through your paypal account you can find their number. Talk to them and forward them the emails. They will help you sort this out.

Custom_Grafx

I have had paypal remove charges my credit card was used for in the recent past because my card was stolen. I know that paypal reversed those charges immediately. They don't tell you to call your bank whatsoever. They would have refunded his money instantly. Then they would have pulled the money from your account and sent you an email telling you what was happening.

The dispute resolution department over at paypal works just like your regular bank. No way would you ever have to be the one to refund the money. This guys is trying to get you to refund the money for some reason that isn't legit.

Refund Nothing. Contact paypal directly. Through your paypal account you can find their number. Talk to them and forward them the emails. They will help you sort this out.

+1 I think. Contact paypal and tell them to contact him as you are uncomfortable dealing with this particular situation. Then notify your buyer that you have contacted paypal, and to wait to hear from them. In the meantime... do something fun :bushmill:

JimJenson

Sounds to me like buyers remorse.

And for the record, when you log into your paypal account and click "contact us" at the bottom of the page it opens another screen with a tab labeled "call us". When you click call us, the pin number right above the phone number you must call. Their number is 1-888-221-1161 but you WILL need a pin.

phototec

S c a m

I agree with others, YOU DON"T do anything, PayPal will take care of it, you just let them work it out.

This SMELLS to me!

:omg2: