• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ISSUE WITH ROYAL SOVEREIGN RSC-1401

mountainsigns

Hi there, I am relatively new to the signmaking world, and inherited a Royal Sovereign RSC-1401 laminator as part of our workflow. We use it most often for mounting vinyl to coroplast quickly, sometimes for lamination but usually not. The machine itself is 10+ years old. In the past weeks after a bout of making 50+ signs, the rollers stopped rolling at their normal speed, and required the speed to be at 6+ higher for it to roll properly. This issue got worse. The place we purchased it from suggested we replace the motor. In addition to that issue, the rollers appear uneven, and it looks like the bottom roller is not seated correctly somehow. When we tried to use it last, only one side of the rollers had any pressure and there was a gap on the other side. I tried adjusting the screws on both sides (atop what look like springs), to no avail. I did also install a new motor, and now nothing is spinning at all, though it sounds as if the motor and rollers are trying to work. On top of all of that, the side crank (mechanism to make roller go up or down), does not appear to be working fluidly. Can anyone provide any help?

rjssigns

I
Hi there, I am relatively new to the signmaking world, and inherited a Royal Sovereign RSC-1401 laminator as part of our workflow. We use it most often for mounting vinyl to coroplast quickly, sometimes for lamination but usually not. The machine itself is 10+ years old. In the past weeks after a bout of making 50+ signs, the rollers stopped rolling at their normal speed, and required the speed to be at 6+ higher for it to roll properly. This issue got worse. The place we purchased it from suggested we replace the motor. In addition to that issue, the rollers appear uneven, and it looks like the bottom roller is not seated correctly somehow. When we tried to use it last, only one side of the rollers had any pressure and there was a gap on the other side. I tried adjusting the screws on both sides (atop what look like springs), to no avail. I did also install a new motor, and now nothing is spinning at all, though it sounds as if the motor and rollers are trying to work. On top of all of that, the side crank (mechanism to make roller go up or down), does not appear to be working fluidly. Can anyone provide any help?
Sounds like you bought someone else's problems. If you or someone in the shop is not mechanically inclined don't mess with it. I agree with Boudica, just get a new laminator.
I have an RS and was having tracking issues. Spent hours dialing it in and it works decently again, but not like when it was new. BTW the dealer let me use their nip tension gauge.
You can't set up the nip pressure without it.
Parts to fab my own are on my desk.

brdesign

In the past, I've had to use a couple of different High milage Royal Sovereign laminators and they were nothing but trouble. Maybe they work well when new, but they just get worse with time. At one shop we replaced the RS with a Kayla laminator and realized that the old Royal Sovereign was wasting about 25% of the material we ran through it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
you shouldn't joke like that, he is likely to take you seriously.

if the gap is uneven, that should be a very simple repair
I was serious. If there was one or two issues to troubleshoot, he might be able to resolve them. But he's got a whole box full of issues. Like RJS said, unless he's mechanically inclined He's probably in over his head trying to fix all these problems himself.

LarryB

I also own a RSC-1401 and it's a been a great laminator. Every couple of years the wheels get out of wack and I have service come to fix it. I don't pay attention to what they do. Call Bell & Howell 1-800-792-4782