• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Issues w/ Mimaki UCJV

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We've been having issues with this thing for last couple of months and I'm getting close to throwing it in the dumpster.

Print quality went from fine for 2 years to super inconsistent and constantly having drop out, ink starvation and contamination, banding, streaking etc.

I replaced captops and did a million air purges a couple months back and it's never been the same. Our nozzle check is now almost back to normal in terms of nozzles firing, but still getting lots of contamination between channels. (You can see the color mixing in the test prints)

We'll get it to a point where it's printing normally then it randomly starts banding and streaking without any real cause.

I've attached edited pictures with some examples as well as how the heads look after they've been parked - I don't think they should have all that ink pooling under heads. I edited the colors in the pics quite a bit to exaggerate the contrast on the streaking but hopefully it helps. It seems like it's only streaking when going from right to left given how much the pattern changes when going from Bi-directional to Uni-directional with the same profile. It's also not consistent across the media - it's usually much worse on left and right edges of the media and almost not there in the center. (That's the real kicker)

Heads and carriage have been cleaned extensively checked for specs, dust etc and there aren't any.

Printer is around 2 years old, only has around 50k sqft on it and has never had any serious head strikes and has been well maintained and only run in a climate controlled environment.

Dealer's answer is to throw a 6k head at it without even seeing it but I'm not super excited about that idea.

Anyone ever run into issues like this with one of these printers?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Mimaki UCJV sample prints.jpg
    Mimaki UCJV sample prints.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 255
  • Mimaki UCJV test prints.jpg
    Mimaki UCJV test prints.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 2022-11-29 12.55.23.jpg
    2022-11-29 12.55.23.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 138
  • 2022-11-29 12.55.37.jpg
    2022-11-29 12.55.37.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 132
  • 2022-11-29 12.55.51.jpg
    2022-11-29 12.55.51.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 140

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The first thing I'm seeing in your 3rd picture is a ton of ink left on the bottom of the head. It's almost like the wiper isn't wiping. Take a good look when the machine cleans and wipes the head and make sure it's making contact. Your head surface should have some ink on it most the time but what I'm seeing in that picture is way too much and especially over the nozzle area. The ink has to try to shoot through that ink which will cause issues.

Also, usually air purges fix a lot of ink flow issues. If you aren't seeing results. I would check the negative and positive pressure to make sure it's still in spec.

InkHead

That does appear to be a lot of ink build up on the head. Probably why you see contamination in your test prints. I would check pos and negative pressure as well and check to make sure your head is sitting properly on the captops otherwise you can make adjustments. I think I have that info somewhere. Just send me a message if you need it and I'll look for it.

I think positive pressure should be ~17.5 +- 2.5kPa and negative is supposed to be 2.9 +- 0.2kPa

If you have a foam swab, I would dip it in cleaning solution and wipe the head of all that ink

White Haus

Not a Newbie
The first thing I'm seeing in your 3rd picture is a ton of ink left on the bottom of the head. It's almost like the wiper isn't wiping. Take a good look when the machine cleans and wipes the head and make sure it's making contact. Your head surface should have some ink on it most the time but what I'm seeing in that picture is way too much and especially over the nozzle area. The ink has to try to shoot through that ink which will cause issues.

Also, usually air purges fix a lot of ink flow issues. If you aren't seeing results. I would check the negative and positive pressure to make sure it's still in spec.

Thank you for this - I checked and the wiper is definitely not making contact with the heads or the rear wiper/cleaner.

I thought maybe the wiper itself was the issue so I swapped it but it's still sitting too low.

Is there a way to adjust the height of the wiper assembly?

Looking back on my maintenance log, I think all these issues started back in September right after I changed the wiper. I wonder if I shoved it in the there too hard or something.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I ran the tests and here are the results.

Negative: P/N: - 2.88 to -2.90 P: 0.06 to 0.12
Positive: P/N: -0.07 to -0.08 P: 25.46 to 25.57
Positive (check): P/N -0.07 to -0.08 P: 16.10 to 16.22

The numbers seem to spike when you first run it then settle into normal range. (Not sure what the difference is between Positive and Positive (check)

InkHead

I'm not sure how to adjust the height of the wiper assembly. However, make sure that wiper is in the slot correctly and clicked in. I think if its not slotted properly it gets seated too low. So I would remove the wiper and place it back in.

Positive pressure seems to be to high. Should be around 17.5. The positive pressure is supposed to beep until it climbs up to range at around 17.5 and stop beeping and stay around that number. It will fluctuate up/down like .5 ish. Negative is spot on.

I'm not sure what Positive (check) is either. Its confusing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'm not sure how to adjust the height of the wiper assembly. However, make sure that wiper is in the slot correctly and clicked in. I think if its not slotted properly it gets seated too low. So I would remove the wiper and place it back in.

Positive pressure seems to be to high. Should be around 17.5. The positive pressure is supposed to beep until it climbs up to range at around 17.5 and stop beeping and stay around that number. It will fluctuate up/down like .5 ish. Negative is spot on.

I'm not sure what Positive (check) is either. Its confusing.
Thank you! So let it run the test until it stops beeping?

I got some quick instructions from the tech about how to get to the test, but not so much regarding how long to let it run.

I'll try it again now and will report back.

InkHead

If it is out of range, it will not stop beeping. If the pressure if too low, it has long beeps. If the pressure is too high (which it is in your case), the beeps are shorter/faster. It will only stop beeping when you dial it in within spec at the throttle valve. The valve screw is real touchy so any slight adjustment will change the pressure a bit. I think turning the screw counter clockwise lowers the pressure and clockwise will raise the pressure.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thank you Solventinkjet and InkHead!!

Raised the wiper, got it making contact with the heads again and got the nozzle check back to 100% for the first time in months.

No more cross-contamination or banding - printed 25' or so absolutely perfect.

I still need to bring the positive pressure down (got that instruction from the tech) but otherwise we're back in business.

Still very much confused as to how suddenly the wiper would be sitting lower, but who knows.

Thanks again guys, huge relief to be able to get jobs done and shipped out today after all.

Have a great weekend!