• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Jexar 10oz Water Fast Scrim Banner with HP5500ps UV Ink

BMurphy688

Hi all,

I printed a banner the other day on my hp5500ps with uv ink on said product, jexar 10oz water fast scrim vinyl banner from fellers... Well, a little drizzle/rain hit the sign and ran.... As the banner is only going to be up for about a month, i didn't laminate.

Called fellers, they sent replacement roll, and still having same problem. I have not changed inks or anything on printer in quite some time and had no problems with other substrates....

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Murph

BMurphy688

I had a banner outside my shop for well over a year non laminated without any degregation to the print... the wind finally tore the substrate, cheap material...

Brandon708

We use the Jexar banner material and never had a problem with it. We always laminate it though. If we didn't laminate it it would get dirty.

BMurphy688

Even after letting the material dry for two+ hours, it's wet to the touch... we ended up laminating the banner which I hate to do for such a short term banner.

wes70

Is Jexar a coated banner for aqueous printers? Sounds like it's uncoated, suitable for solvent. If it coated, then you are laying down too much ink.

BMurphy688

Yes, Jexar is coated for aqueous printers... I too thought that, however, can not find many settings to alter the amount of ink put down.. It's either way to light with banding or my current problem...

Brandon708, are you familiar with any settings to limit the amount of ink? In the driver section I've played with the production, etc... not much difference...

Brandon708

I will have to check on that monday.
Sometimes when I print thru rip and print the ink comes out heavy and dark. I print a lot from the Windows printer. That way works pretty good.

neil johnsen

Printer banner on jexar 10 oz

Hi all,

I printed a banner the other day on my hp5500ps with uv ink on said product, jexar 10oz water fast scrim vinyl banner from fellers... Well, a little drizzle/rain hit the sign and ran.... As the banner is only going to be up for about a month, i didn't laminate.

Called fellers, they sent replacement roll, and still having same problem. I have not changed inks or anything on printer in quite some time and had no problems with other substrates....

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks.

Murph

I have the same printer and uv inks and have printed many banners. I use the Jexar 14 oz scrim though. After it's printed and dried, I usually wait a day, I clear coat it with Clear Shield liquid laminate. You can get it from Fellers and it comes in either matte or gloss finish. Use a high density foam roller and give it two light coats. The first aplication will really soak into the coating and you will see the over laps from the roller. Let it dry a few hrs and give it a second coat. With a little practice you will get good results. I can usually get about 500 sq. ft. coverage per gallon with the Clear Shield.

Good luck,

Neil

Billct2

I do temp banners on HP aqueous printer. It does sound like the material is coated properly. When you load the material try selecting a different material to see if it's an ink coverage issue, but it sounds like a material issue.