• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just stop already!!!

I really wish customers would stop messaging me privately on Facebook for quotes and such. Ever heard of a phone book people? Perhaps Google? Maybe try our website? I mean emails are bad enough to deal with but now Facebook?

Sheesh! I sometimes hate this social media world we live in today.

RANT. OVER.

WildWestDesigns

In all honesty, I find it easier to deal with emails and FB msgs then the phone. Particularly if I'm trying to work around the machines. Email and PMs (rather on here or on FB) are much easier for me then the phone. Unless it's something that can't be efficiently communicated over electronic means that's something else.

Although, I don't see how them contacting you via your website for quotes is that much different from email or FB unless those methods are to get your phone number. I would honestly say that not many of the younger generation know how to handle a phone book if they have truly even heard of one. And that may sound out there, but considering kids today don't know how to read cursive any more, I wouldn't consider anything far fetched.

royster13

I really wish customers would stop messaging me privately on Facebook for quotes and such. Ever heard of a phone book people? Perhaps Google? Maybe try our website? I mean emails are bad enough to deal with but now Facebook?

Sheesh! I sometimes hate this social media world we live in today.

RANT. OVER.
Please send them my way.......I could care less if I ever talked to a client on the phone ever again.....IMO the phone is so inefficient.....

Dakotagrafx

I like having things in writing - call it an occupational hazzard of my last job but i like to reference the details as needed, notes get lost sometimes

Letterbox Mike

Please send them my way.......I could care less if I ever talked to a client on the phone ever again.....IMO the phone is so inefficient.....

Agreed... The phone has its place but in the current business world it's far from an efficient or effective means of communication. I'll take email, fb, website, twitter communications over the phone any day.

And if your in business and hate social media, IMO you need to reevaluate your marketing before you're left in the dust by your competitors.

skyhigh

Then get off of Facebook. Either way, unless your a regular there, I would put a post on my page.......Something like......"I do not look at my FB page on a regular basis. If you need a quote, please call to insure I did not miss your request".

just my 2 cents.

Techman

I believe his challenge is that facebook people msg for a quote then never respond back after giving them the time to quote. They have no real commitment or desire to purchase or doing business. Just kicking tires is a aggravating complete waste of time.

I stopped using the face book page because of the same nonsense. Took 20% of the time yet produced zero income. So until I get time to set up a proper face book page is back to the phone.. Any body got an idea how to setup a real business face book page?

binki

we get them by text message sometimes. that is annoying when the phone beeps at 4am on a sunday.

I believe his challenge is that facebook people msg for a quote then never respond back after giving them the time to quote. They have no real commitment or desire to purchase or doing business. Just kicking tires is a aggravating complete waste of time.

I stopped using the face book page because of the same nonsense. Took 20% of the time yet produced zero income. So until I get time to set up a proper face book page is back to the phone.. Any body got an idea how to setup a real business face book page?

Exactly. It's like...

"How much for a 4' x 8' sign?"

"I need 10 shirts for my softball team. My sister says you make shirts. How much do they cost?"

"Can you make me some stickers for my cornhole set? I want a giant Chicago Cubs logo on them."

"I need some business cards. I'm thinkin' like 50 for starters."

Bly

I encourage people to email.
With every phone call you have to stop what you're doing then go through the pleasantries of how are you etc even if you are halfway through doing something productive.
Email forces people to focus on what they want to say. You can leave it until you get a minute to sit down too.
Best part is you also have a record of who said what to who.

WildWestDesigns

Same thing happens over the phone.

To me, the phone is even more of a distraction then the emailing, PM etc. I can at least answer those questions when I have a moment to do so.

When the tire kickers call, that moment is then, despite rather or not it's a good one.

OADesign

Well unlike some, FB is at least getting you some nibbles.

Maybe you need a call to action to let FB users know what to do. Try posting a cool promo pic. Then promote it (FYI the "Promote this post" function makes the post stay on top of the feed for a set period of time.) "Call us at xxx-xxxx for free quotes"

Or just keep a text file some place with a default response "For quotes call us at blah blah" Or Email us at... Visit us online at www.yourcoolsignsite.com/quotes.

Easy. You seem to have the inquires. You just need to to funnel them into YOUR process.

Techman

FB is at least getting you some nibbles.
Let the gold fish nibble somewhere else.

I want a bull Red to hit so it will provide food for the check book. That is why I fish elsewhere until some can guide me into a worthy facebook page that sells instead of baiting.

I guess I can see both sides of this, but I personally prefer the phone or the best option to me which is meeting in person. It seems as though these Facebook messages always go the same way. I have to message back and forth to get as much information as possible for an accurate quote. Over the phone I can pull up a quote sheet with all the necessary questions that need addressed and do a thorough job right off the bat, with no need for the back and forth nonsense. They can get their quote quickly and accurately and I can get on with business and await an answer without all the headache.

Emails, on the other hand, aren't as bad and I can manage them, but I still get a lot of the back and forth conversation before an quote request can even be placed. It's like the generic "How much for a 4' x 8' sign?" question. I have to take the time to figure out what kind of graphic, what kind of substrate, etc., all of which could be easily addressed over the phone.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

That is the real kicker. Social networking is just like advertising, it's only to get your name out there in your area. I see businesses all the time only trying to do social networking hoping that their time online translates to sales ... when really it doesn't. I have only ever used facebook and twitter to do give always and freebie stuff. I won't ever rely on digital footwork to replace physical footwork ever ... if I did, it would be like placing a billboard out in the middle of the desert.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Exactly. It's like...

"How much for a 4' x 8' sign?"

"I need 10 shirts for my softball team. My sister says you make shirts. How much do they cost?"

"Can you make me some stickers for my cornhole set? I want a giant Chicago Cubs logo on them."

"I need some business cards. I'm thinkin' like 50 for starters."

This is why we switched to trade only. When we're wholesale, we have to provide higher quality, faster turn and lower prices than we ever did in the retail game, but we deal with very very little of this kind of stuff.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but if you don't want people to talk to you on FB, then get off of Facebook. I must admit that a PM on Signs101 for a quote is much harder to track and more time consuming for us over a customer just sending us an email or giving us a call, but it comes with the territory. If we, as merchant members here, want to be a part of this community, we need to use the tools here - just like Facebook!

I know these kinds of customer requests are a pain, but it's far better than the alternative - that is sitting around twiddling your thumbs with no quote requests coming in.

Good Luck!

Deaton Design

I like email, because I have a written record from the customer of what they want, and that way I wont write it down on a pad and lose it...:)

ExposeJustin

We require all quotes to be via email; this way there is written documentation of your quote given and the specifics.

If someone asks for a quote by any means, either on the phone or electronically, we refer them to the email address to get their quote. This also adds them to our email database, automatically, and allows us to market them in the future for specific or general ad campaigns.

Just a thought.

Caitlin

We prefer business to be conducted through e-mail for the most part.
I don't run our facebook page but the girl who does runs the promotional side of the shop, and she sometimes does contests and giveaways (ie. a gift bag of our self-promo items) to get the word out and bring in people who might not have been to the shop. Never know who might turn out to be a great customer.

Jillbeans

I don't mind the FB messages but I find most are tire-kickers.
Eventually you do get a bite, though.
I like how FB makes it seem like there is enthusiasm going for a project when I post daily progress pix.
Any type of contact is better than none, I guess.
:)
Sometimes I have to delete snide comments from other sign folks.
Love....Jill