• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

jv3 - came in this morning and it is still on?

gabagoo

I experienced this a few weeks ago but figured I had not turned the machine off. This morning I came in and I can hear the machine humming away. The green light on the "on" button is not lit ,yet it is on. The message centre had a message that said something about the wiper, so I hit enter and it made the sound like the wiper was moving back into place and then it clicked away and shut off. I did a cleaning last night and I know the power was off because I cleaned the heads from the other side of the unit and that can only be done with no power. I figure maybe the rails for the wiper may be a bit sticky with ink and possibly sometime after I left the machine went through a sleep cycle and the wiper got stuck, but I am not sure if the wiper even moves on a sleep cycle. Anyone else have this happen? I am concerned if it is harmful for the heads although they were sitting on the capping station when I got in and it seems OK.

suhy_pl

hi

We have the same, its because the cleaning procedure was interrupt by the wiper fault (probably wiper didnt return to home position or something else -printhead hit it?), after this - cleaning procedure is not finished and ploter not going for standby mode.

tom.

thewood

It sounds like during a sleep cleaning, the printer had a Wiper Error. This is typically caused by the wiper meeting resistance due to dirty wiper rails, belt or gears. Try cleaning the rails on which the wiper mechanism sits.

I had a similar problem. I ended taking the whole wiper assembly out and cleaning it thoroughly.

gabagoo

Thanks guys, I figured it had something to do with the wiper but Iwas not aware that in sleep mode it actually did anything.

signswi

Thanks guys, I figured it had something to do with the wiper but Iwas not aware that in sleep mode it actually did anything.

While "off" the machine occasionally pumps a touch of ink through the heads in order to prevent them from drying out ("recharges" the heads). If they dry out, they're dead and need to be replaced. That's why you should never unplug the machine for very long or use circuits/powerbars that kill idle power when they don't sense active usage. Big concern if you ever get into an extended power outage situation and don't have adequate backup power.

Wiper, being a part of the head recharge process, can error like you're experiencing. These guys are right on about cleaning the wiper rails to avoid it.