• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 media sensor

eforer

Like most mimaki owners, the retaining tabs for my media sensor on my jv-3 160s have long since departed this earth. I've been using a good ol' reliable zip tie to secure the sensor for awhile with no problems. Tonight however, my media sensor seemed to go completely haywire. I would stop and detect edges where their were none, and skip over the actual media edge. I'm using arlon 4000 for junky stickers so its not a wierd media or anything. Should I just replace it? Thoughts??

iSign

my retaining tabs are gone too... but the sensor just floats there & works. When the tabs broke, it got dislodged & created some concern until I located the source of the trouble.

I bought a new one right away, but it's sitting in a drawer, & won't be installed until I have firther problems.

For how cheap it was (I don't remember, but I'm guessing around $40) ...if a problem surfaces some day, having that thing in the drawer could easily prevent loses equal to far more then I paid for it if timely completion of a good job might otherwise have been interfered with.

thewood

Ours is broken, too. We have it rigged up with some vinyl. It's worked this way for 3 years!

asignstop

Eforer, is the black strip that runs along the length of the machine, (under the media) dirty? I think this is how the sensor knows how wide the media is (it sees the contrast between white media, and this dark strip). Try cleaning this (a q-tip and alcohol?) it may work, the retaining tabs are just to keep the edges of media from curling I belive.

eforer

Thanks for the replies guys,

I ended up getting a new sensor fedexed to me today as the other one was really F'd up. I clipped it in the bracket properly, and now it hits the philips head screws on the media retainers! WTF!?!? I usually run my head height high as I'm paranoid about crashing them, even still the media sensor clips the screw! I don't remember that being a problem before.

Thoughts??

eforer

Fixed it, the height adjustment screws (for the media sensor/blade mount, not the head height) were stupid tight, once I got the vice grips on them, I gently backed them off, raised the bracket and replaced the hardware. Everything is a-okay now.