• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV3 - Wiper Error - Print heads shot????

MarkH42

I walked in this morning to a wiper error and the carriage over the wiper, with the wiper motor making noises, but nothing happening. I removed the wiper assembly and it turns out the belt bracket clip was installed improperly a couple of years ago and that finally bit us. Not knowing how long it had been like this, I put it back together and did a test print.....blank....nothing. So, I did another one....a few blue rectangles. I'm in the middle of a STRONG clean and I'm going to run another test print. We bought this machine used a year or so ago and it has had a few glitches, but nothing severe until today. Is there any hope??? What other steps could a take? Overnight head soak? Someone talk me off the ledge. I'm not up for 4 new printheads.

artbot

yeah. i seal off the pump lines and soak for at least 12 hours. if it was just an over night thing, i'm betting you get all of those heads back. they may be printing like crap for the next couple of days. maybe even have two or three missing lines for a week. but it will clear up.

MikePro

just had this issue last week! doubtful it was installed improperly, ink just builds up over time and eventually makes it so difficult for the wiper mechanism to work properly that the motor throws an error.

i didn't have to remove anything but the front/back cover, used a tweezers to pluck/gouge chunks of ink off the gears/belt, an old toothbrush+cleaning solution to break down any remains, and LOTS of swabs+cleaning solution to get whatever was leftover. Also, check the rails and the switch on the interior right-side (facing from front of printer) for excess ink to be cleaned.
while you're cleaning, manually move the wiper back/forth while observing from the rear of the machine... your main issue will most likely be a HUGE gob of ink on the rear-plasticgear (where it meets the metal gear that's attached to the motor)

As far as your test prints are concerned... you're still ok. Most likely you just have a skin of dried ink on your printheads. Overnight soak recommended (set Nozzle Wash, and power-down your printer via front + back switch.)

MarkH42

Thanks for the info! The strong cleaning brought back 85% of the nozzles, so I've still got some work to do, but I have one foot off the ledge and back inside the window. I am going to run a print or two, then plan for an overnight powered down head soak. Thanks again!

PDD

just had this issue last week! doubtful it was installed improperly, ink just builds up over time and eventually makes it so difficult for the wiper mechanism to work properly that the motor throws an error.

i didn't have to remove anything but the front/back cover, used a tweezers to pluck/gouge chunks of ink off the gears/belt, an old toothbrush+cleaning solution to break down any remains, and LOTS of swabs+cleaning solution to get whatever was leftover. Also, check the rails and the switch on the interior right-side (facing from front of printer) for excess ink to be cleaned.
while you're cleaning, manually move the wiper back/forth while observing from the rear of the machine... your main issue will most likely be a HUGE gob of ink on the rear-plasticgear (where it meets the metal gear that's attached to the motor)

As far as your test prints are concerned... you're still ok. Most likely you just have a skin of dried ink on your printheads. Overnight soak recommended (set Nozzle Wash, and power-down your printer via front + back switch.)

Just took care of the same issue on my printer last week (jv3-130spII). I did a total cleaning on it. For what its worth its only takes a minute to remove completely. Take wire off connector at motor (access rear of printer), unscrew travel limit switch and let it hang in machine and then there are couple of screws that hold it into the bottom plate. You can then remove it and begin to remove the caked on ink. Mine would bearly move it was so gummed up. The gear teeth were plugged. Remove the stepper motor (2 screws) and clean its drive gear with a toothbrush and ink solvent. This is a full solvent printer. For cleanup a great solvent is GUNWASH, its not too harsh and is relatively cheap and can be purchased at any automotive supplier that sells bodyshop paints. A 5 gallon can is in the $40 range here. I did a test on the plastic parts and rubber belt of the wiper station and it was all solvent friendly. So I filled up my ultrasonic bath with solvent and put it in for 10 minutes or so (note, motor was disconnected and left on the bench, it should not go near solvent). Couple of spots needed brushing to get off the caked mound and it came out good as new. There is no comparison between before and after in terms of ease of operation. Belt run wonderful now. You can now roll the slide rails so they can be cleaned on all side periodically (ink gums them and stops this from happening). Drop of electric motor oil (turbine oil mine is called) on the rails. Install motor with connector facing down, making sure teeth of gear engage well. There is a foam pad at the back of the wiper station under the metal cover, remove foam and make a new piece and contact cement it in. Clean limit switch before installing screw (just wipe it down). Reinstall, connect motor wire (only goes one way) install new wiper blade and test. Total overhaul time 1 hr. Looks and works as brand new. Hope that helps. -Brent