• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

JV33 Odd Banding/Striping

Please look at the photos people..!!!
This is a brand new JV & the tech was here for 8 hrs and still no resolving of this issue.
I am printing on Avery supercast EZ RS but it also hapens on 3m 180c v3.
es3 inks Orcal 3651 720 x 720 profile 16 pass bi directional.
current heat settings are 95 95 122

Attachments

• print prob.jpg
    print prob.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 330
  • prob  s print.jpg
    prob s print.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 151

thewood

The banding in the purple especially looks like too much heat. But your heat settings look low to me. This could also be due to ink starvation, but I wouldn't expect that from a new printer operating at 720x720 16 pass. Have you tried other profiles?

k.a.s.

I dont have the answer, but my heat settings have always been 50 40 50 on my JV33

Kevin

Letterbox Mike

Ditch the profile. Find a 540x1080 6-pass profile and try it both bidirectional and unidirectional. This is the optimal resolution for this print head, you will get better results. 720x720 profiles introduce a lot of banding.

Not sure what RIP you're on but a good canned profile is Avery's MPI2900 540x1080 6-pass, we've tried to write a better profile for cast wrap vinyl and as of yet have not been able to top this one. We're on Onyx so the same may not be true for this profile written for another RIP however.

Letterbox Mike

The JV33 is fairly susceptible to changes in media compensation, it's wise to check it periodically throughout a print run to make sure it's still good and adjust it on the fly if necessary. Drop pos. doesn't need to run as often, you're supposed to do it when the material thickness changes, but we keep ours dialed in for thin vinyl and only adjust it if we put in something really thick like wallpaper and the prints look blurry.

Neither of those has anything to do with your problem though. Unless you're having a major electrical/data problem with your head, I'll almost 100% guarantee you that switching to a good 540x1080 6-pass profile will solve your issue. The Epson DX5 head does not play nicely with 720x720 profiles most of the time, and a cast film like the wrap films you're printing are usually the worst at bringing the issue to light.

Letterbox Mike

It appears you have to register on the Avery site to access the profiles now, I don't think it used to be that way.

http://avery-ap.color-base.com/

You might also try calling your dealer on the printer and asking if they can help you out with some better profiles, their tech support people should have access to many of them.

Just a reminder im useing es3 inks
It seems all the profiles out there for this printer are for the full solvent ink set.
I cant be the only one running thr es3 inks.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I dont know of many using ES3 inks. Best thing I can suggest is to get ahold of an X-Rite Eye One (i1) pronto. It is natively supported by FlexiSign and you can create your own custom profiles right in Production Manager. The plus side is your own custom profiles will almost always be much better than any canned profiles anyways.

Heck I'd even be willing to "rent" you ours for a week but the lamp is starting to go on mine. I need to get a new one or send it off to X-Rite to get a new lamp installed. Maybe someone else nearby might loan you theirs...

I can honestly say I've never seen any canned profiles for ES3 inks - even Mimaki themselves do not show any for Rasterlink. lol

Rooster

I run 720x720 16 pass bi-directional all the time and never have banding issues.

It's been printing great for three years and I haven't so much as changed a wiper blade. Although I do create all my own profiles in house.

Did the tech that installed the printer prime the dampers when he installed it? It looks like a classic case of ink starvation. Does it do the same thing with other profiles?

I dont know a dam thing about creating profiles.
The tech bled all the air out of the dampers and filled them to the top.
The lilic print is pre bleeding dampers the blue sky print is after all that.

You can imagne my frustration, I replaced a mutho falcon 48 that was pretty trouble free for like 7 yrs with this JV33 & have had nothing but trouble for my $18.500
I was truly expecting great things from a 7yr newer and far more costly printer.
Should I lower my expectations?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
No- just give yourself a bit to get it worked out. JV33's are workhorses that print beautifully. I understand your frustration though. Profiling is actually pretty easy in Flexi - it walks you through the steps and it takes about an hour - it's very worth doing and having an Eye-One. With one you will never ever be at the mercy of using pre-made profiles and your profiles will always be better since they are optimised for your specific enviorment (average temp, humidity, etc make a big difference). It would be a great asset no matter what printer you have.

I've attached a profile - had to rename it to PDF. Rename the file to .icc if you want to try it. Keep in mind though - this profile is for a machine running dual CMYK - if you are running CMYKLcLm then this will not work at all. Also keep in mind - I run Triangle JVV full solvent inks so the colors are not going to be right either. But if you are at least running dual CMYK (MMCCYYKK) then it might give you somewhat better results. To install this profile, rename the file to .icc (do not try to open it with Acrobat reader it is not really a pdf). Then copy the file to the Program Files>SAi>SAi Production Suite>ICCProfile>MimakiJV33 folder.This particular profile is for 540x1080, 12 pass, variable dot, SO diffusion.

Change can be painful but once you get it going good you will not be dissapointed. Whoever sold you the machine should have made sure you were printing good and shown you things like setting Dot Position Correction, and regular maintenance. And if they sold you on going with ES3 inks then they should have made sure you knew that finding profiles for that ink set might not be easy.

Attachments

• SL 3M180 540x1080 SO VD 12P 540x1080 Variable dot.pdf
    803.9 KB · Views: 111
Thanks..! I am runing dual cmyk.
I will look into the Eye One & thanks for the reassurance that this printer is a good choice.
My suppiler did show me how to do the basics but did not mention the issues with the es3 inks and profiles.

Letterbox Mike

It's a very very good machine. If you don't plan on building your own profiles, you may want to consider switching over to SS21 inks as there are far more profiles available vs. ES3. Again, your problem is almost guaranteed to be profile related, and frankly it doesn't sound like your technician knows much about operating the printer either, a good tech should immediately have pointed you in the direction of the proper profiles when you're seeing a problem like you're showing.

INSIGNA I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to respond with such positive and usefull information.
I hope to be of some use to you in the future. FAT CHANCE..... lol
All the best.

Letterbox Mike

haha, we're all here to help. I h ope you get your problem sorted out. We replaced our older JV3 with a JV33 and had the same problem you are having. The JV3 printed beautifully at 720x720, we figured the 33 would be the same but it didn't obviously. Took some trial and error and finally our technician to tell us the problem was the profile/resolution.