• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keeping Small HDU Letters in Place while Spraying

IDB Signs

Hello,

I have looked around and didn't find anything, so forgive if it has been mentioned before.

We are painting some smaller (8-10"H x .75" material) HDU letters with an HVLP setup and are having a hard time keeping them in place while also keeping them elevated to dry. Being so light, they are blown around by the gun. We are working to reduce the pressure on the line, but I was also curious as to what everyone's preferred method was for handling smaller stuff like this? We have a couple dozen letters for this particular project.

Thanks in advance!

TimToad

We cover a 2'x8' MDO panel with all tape, sticky side out and arrange our letters on it.

Just be careful about pooling at back edge of the letters.

For even smaller letters, we have a rolling cart with a grating for a top that we apply strips of banner tape to. Rub a rag across the tape to knock down the adhesive a bit until the letters stick just enough, but can be pulled off without damage.

Z SIGNS

repurposed bicycle forks. Screws hold the letters and it rotates so you don't have to move around or touch the wet letters
IMG_0379.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use large pieces of styrofoam. Take some finishing nails with the heads cut off of them and push the letters onto the pointy end. Now, push them into the styrofoam. I usually use a barrel and turn the barrel every so often on smaller sizes. Larger letters, just put on flathead screws into the back and just let the weight hold it in place.