• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Keeping those fingerprints off vinyl media?

Ernest Tortuga

Okay this might be a very newbie question, but how do ya'll keep fingerprints off of vinyl media? I use some fabric knitted gloves, however when I put some new rolls into the machine, those things are really heavy and it gets hard to grip with knitted gloves.

Any tips on how can I clean handprints/fingerprints when I handle media without gloves? If I use gloves, what is the best gloves to use so that I have some grip on the media?

Thanks!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
There are gloves specifically for handling vinyl.

In a pinch you can probably get away with using nirtile gloves but obviously those are not reusable

Ernest Tortuga

There are gloves specifically for handling vinyl.

In a pinch you can probably get away with using nirtile gloves but obviously those are not reusable

Thanks for the reply!

I'm don't have any idea what are those vinyl-specific gloves are called, can you guide me to what it's name, and where can I get one?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
We get them from the supplier we use for our vinyl accessories, knifeless tape, banner hem tape, squeegee’s etc. Whoever sells you them should also carry those types of gloves.

You don't need to keep fingerprints off your media, just don't print on the first 15" let it overhang from the printer. It may seem like a waste but if there are no fingerprints there will be dust on the exposed vinyl.

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
We used to use cotton archival gloves from a photo supply store, but I found after a while they got a little dusty. Now, I have some thick nitrile gloves hanging around the shop that we do re-use over and over, and I find that to be effective - and you don't need to keep doing laundry.

I don't know about your printer, but on our XR-640 we rarely waste any media while loading a roll. We lose the first foot or so of a new roll from tape marks or dust, but after that we always cover the rolls of media while being stored and there's rarely dust. You can also use a static-free cloth to do a gentle wipe while loading if you think there might be dust.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Handle the roll from the very ends, not in the middle.
Not sure of the printer or the media you are using but this pretty much does it here. On the heavy rolls, I grip one end and then use a paper towel in about the middle to support and place it on the spindle ends without touching the material directly (Mutoh 1624).

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I cradle the rolls in my arm and put one home on the right side of our small latex then work the 2nd side in. Like others have stated, just let that first wrap overhang and you dont have the fingerprint issue really. Even that little bit isn't a big deal on most printers....typically you need some to tape onto a take-up anyway.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What happens to those rolls that have very short runs ?? Do you waste 15" or 18" on each and every loading and unloading ?? That seems like a lotta waste.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
What happens to those rolls that have very short runs ?? Do you waste 15" or 18" on each and every loading and unloading ?? That seems like a lotta waste.
One wrap of IJ 35 for example is 12 inches roughly. With the small latex, we feed just beyond the heater door so the media doesn't get jammed up in there anyway. Just enough to put a spring loaded clamp for some weight or to get it onto a take-up.

JetPress

Nitrile gloves does the trick. I keep a pair for handling vinyl and another for when doing daily/weekly maintenance. Our widest roll is 54" and so I can hold the roll from the edges and try to avoid touching the center.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I grab the ends and feed it into the printer by only touching the very edge of each side. No need to waste material or wear gloves

I've used gloves in the past but not anymore. Once the roll slid right out of my hands and ruined quite a bit more along the edge than had I used my bare hands. Another time it slid out and hit my foot bruising it and when it landed it knocked down many other rolls causing lots of damage to the other rolls. I no longer use gloves. To be honest I hardly ever see any problems caused by my hands or someone elses.

Easy, if it is vinyl roll you or banner rolls, keep a bottle of Windex around. when you insert the media, let it run its course. Then extend the media, lightly spray the Windex and wipe with micro fiber towel softly. That removes your fingerprints.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Easy, if it is vinyl roll you or banner rolls, keep a bottle of Windex around. when you insert the media, let it run its course. Then extend the media, lightly spray the Windex and wipe with micro fiber towel softly. That removes your fingerprints.

Ahh, not so fast there, CDS. Based upon your profile, you don't own a printer and pretty much therefore don't know what you're saying. Windex is a kinda big NO-NO sprayed directly on media before printing. These people are talking about printing on these rolls of media.

I don't really do short runs, I leave the printed media in the printer without cutting it so they are printed one after the other, I also don't ask stupid questions like they want matt or gloss or silk lam, glossy it is.