• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

L26500 Carriage Rail Oiling

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
I've been getting some phantom substrate/carriage jam errors in the past week, so I was going to clean and re-oil the rail/pads on my new 26500.

On the 25500 I could access the oil pads on either side of the carriage with no problem, but on the 26500 there seems to be some device on the right side that's in the way of the pad. And because the carriage only comes out so far during this procedure I can't stick my head or hands in there to see.

Any tricks to soaking the pad besides say powering off the machine to slide the carriage out farther? right now i just put extra oil on the right side of the rail and hope it soaks up enough.

JoeBoomer

Just wanted to comment. I just got my 26500 on Monday and I've run maybe 50sq. ft. through it and I walked into it telling me I need to lube the rails already. That's 4 days of having it (about an hour of actually running it). I'm a little worried.....

Bill Modzel

I've been dealing with the same issue. Other than taking some extra time, it seems to g away after oiling the pads and the rail.

Signndesigner, on the control panel, click down to the maintenance menu, than the clean and oil menu. The printhead will park out in the print area for you to do the oiling. Remove your stock before you do this because it will tell you to anyhow.

nate

Just wanted to comment. I just got my 26500 on Monday and I've run maybe 50sq. ft. through it and I walked into it telling me I need to lube the rails already. That's 4 days of having it (about an hour of actually running it). I'm a little worried.....

You're worried about doing maintenance? That's part of owning this machine. It's no big deal.

Bill Modzel

After owning an HP9000s for 6 years and never having to do this it was more of a concern that something serious was wrong with the machine than just being a nuisance.

To ask for oiling two days after installation just seemed like a very strange situation and HP's tech was concerned enough to send out a rep and replace the pads. All that being done now, it's still asking for oil but I don't run jobs daily either and from what I hear, that's part of the issue.

Love the printer though. No banding,no plugged jets and very nice images. What blew me away is I ran what was some end of the roll stock that was probably 9 months old through it and the vinyl bubbled and I had some head strikes. On the 9000 that would have forced a head cleaning at minimum but I left this run and the rest of the print was perfect! Not one plugged jet. THAT was impressive.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
The tech may not have oiled the pads when it was installed. I know mine wasn't.

Thanks for the tip Bill, I'll try it that way next time. Hopefully it comes out a little farther towards the middle of the platen.

JoeBoomer

Nate - Not worried about maintenance, just worried that after 4 days of ownership it's telling me to oil rails. I had a L25500 at last shop and it was a few months of everyday use before I had to oil rails.

I think Bill is right though, I'm pretty sure the tech didn't oil it when he set it up. Been running today without any problems. Just dealing with some mild heat issues (slight banding...weird).

Christian @ 2CT Media

The hole in the top of that box on the right side is for the oil. That thing is reservoir for constant oiling so that there is a longer term supply.

Since we started with a L25 we oil every week just to be safe.... The one thing that I thought was weird was they removed the platen roller oiling from the menu and now I have to do that manually.

danno

At one time, there was a firmware issue that caused the oil rails and pads in an unusually quick manor. I have not seen the issue, but have talked to some people that have had it. You might want to investigate which firmware you are using and possibly update it. We attempt to run our L26500 as hard as our 9000, and on get the message about once a quarter.

neil_se

Mine tells me to do it again immediately after I have. Might have to check that the firmware is up to date.