• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating perforated vinyl???

JLSignsLLC

After completing at least 30 window jobs without laminate, the only issue was that the dew in the morning was impairing the drivers vision until it was wiped or dried by the sun. I contacted someone with technical support and they were blown away that i was not laminating the material. So i order a roll of oraguard 290 GF which was specified to be the best for orajet 3676 perforated window film. So i print out a job for a customer, let it sit overnight, then laminate is applied. Not using any application fluid I apply to the window, Done!. Get in the driver seat look through the rear view mirror and see a complete blur. Stumped... Let the truck sit in the sun for the rest of the day, the blur is starting to clear up but not going away. After a week still the same blur. Tried for the second time, same result. Now if this is what the end result will look like then my customer and myself are not happy. End result, Installed Without laminate. Any help is help, Thanks, Jason.

gabagoo

need to use optically clear laminate...they must have sent the wrong type.

the stuff is damn expensive too

J

john1

That's the crappy thing about laminating perf, it looks better on the outside but will be foggy looking from the inside for a few weeks. I tend to not laminate perf anymore though due to this.

JLSignsLLC

What kind if timeframe are we talking here for the blur to clear up. Would have thought a week would be sufficient. Do all of you laminate yor perf??Thank you very much for everyone's help. Gotta love this forum it's the best!

ProWraps

differnent factors come into play. 2 weeks tops should be a good estimate.

winter will take longer than summer.

much of the bluriness can be attributed to the lam actually sticking to the window in the holes. aka, you will see your squeege marks in the blur. this will go away once the lam shrinks back and pops out of the holes.

JLSignsLLC

The only down fall of the 2 weeks or so is that the drivers vision is impaired during the night. What is the end result once you wait the two weeks? Will it look the same as looking out a window that was done without laminate.

J

john1

without laminate is your best bet for best visibility through it, with laminate it's just easier to see out when it rains but it's harder to see out of period then perf without lamiante.

Kinda have to choose what you want when doing perf jobs

4R Graphics

it will always be some what more difficult to see through when you laminate but it makes the graphics last longer and if you dont laminate you can forget about seeing through it at all in the rain.

I am in Florida so it rains a lot so ALL of our perf jobs are laminated unless asked not (never been asked not to).

If you dont press real hard when you install it you will keep the laminate from sticking to the glass in the holes which should help with visibility right away.

I have to say that if it looks really blurry they may have given you the regular 290 not the OPTICALLY CLEAR and that will be a blur for ever.

You should be able to see through it right away but it be some what distorted do to lam sticking to glass in the holes in places but all in all you should be able to see through it reasonablly right away. Again check to see if they sent you the regular 290 and not the optically clear stuff I believe it is 290F.