• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminating

APIM

I got such a HUGE amount of help last time, I am trying again for new info! :thankyou:
We are looking to purchase a laminating machine for our new Epson GS6000 and we haven't quite figured out what route to take. Any suggestions? Hot or Cold, is there a difference? Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated!

we just put an order in for the new seal EL 54" cold laminator. its had great reviews and as its a seal(top brand) you can't go wrong. we also looked at a rs (royal sov) but went with the seal. i'm lead to belive the difference between cold and hot lam is that if you have heat it eliminates the silvering you get, however, that goes away in time if you use a cold lam.

SublimeGraphics

We have a Royal Soverign with heat assist, we have had it for about 6 years now. Great laminator we have never needed to have it serviced (knock on wood) BUT.......we only used the heat assist for about the first 6 months. Don't spend the extra $$$, it's not worth it.

jer

LenR

re:Laminator

Take a look at AGL. If you need a contact person I can pass along the guy I deal with (if it's permitted). He's really down to earth.
I have a larger one and have never lost a job...never!

MikePro

might be worth your drive to the ISA show in Vegas at the end of this month... tons of deals to be had, plus you can scoop up a floor-model for peanuts since most dealers would rather ship it directly to you from the show.

APIM

Thanks for all the advice! Is there any application that cold lam can't do but a heat lam can???

baxter gamble

We bought a great laminator from Matt at Advantage Sign Supply. We have the GBC 1064WFC for our Epson GS6000. We also have a 48" and 24 Ledco.

Firefox

Thanks for all the advice! Is there any application that cold lam can't do but a heat lam can???

Yes!

But realize that heat assist is not Hot laminating. Heat assist warms the laminate and allows the pressure sensitive adhesive to wet out a little easier so you don't get silvering. Silvering is very common on cold laminating and cold laminating with the Big Squeegee. The silvering typically disappears within 24 hours or usually sooner. Heat assist can be useful if you use your laminator in a real cold environment.

Hot Laminating gets much hotter and actually melts the adhesive causing it to fuze to the substrate, not to be used on vinyl or anything that might melt or distort when exposed to high temperature. Also the hot laminating films are not designed for stretching like you need to for wrapping vinyl onto curved surfaces like cars, over rivets, etc.

Hot laminating is for Papers, card stocks and such and you can encapsulate the item with it where encapsulating with cold lam is not usually recommended.

coastek

I believe the hot laminator can be used as a heat assist machine when lower the temperature setting or a cold laminator machine when turn off the heat. If price is not huge different between a heat assist and a hot machine, the hot machine will be a better choice..

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Check out our laminators. They make good companion tools with power laminators and often eliminates the need for one in low volume shops.

APIM

Check out our laminators. They make good companion tools with power laminators and often eliminates the need for one in low volume shops.

Actually I did look at those... I am pretty sure we are going to get one until we can find room and a greater need for a big laminator!

SlightlyChilled

BIG SQUEEGEE is one of if not the best tool in my shop. Dale was SO helpful when I was starting out and helping me out with what I NEEDED. It was like he was not trying to make a sale just helping a friend make the right choice. I LOVE MY BIG SQUEEGEE and DALE for making a super useful tool..