• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laptop Shopping

neato

Well, it's time to upgrade my old faithful laptop. I'm looking at the recertified Dells.

I'm not really into all the computer talk, but I want to make sure I have a computer powerful enough to run Corel smoothly and occasionally PhotoPaint.

What do you think of these specs? Would this be an adequate system?

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core 2 Duo - 2400

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium - Yuck, I'm going to try to find one with XP

15.4 screen

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

4 gigs of ram

DVD/RW

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Video

Shovelhead

Well, it's time to upgrade my old faithful laptop. I'm looking at the recertified Dells.

I'm not really into all the computer talk, but I want to make sure I have a computer powerful enough to run Corel smoothly and occasionally PhotoPaint.

What do you think of these specs? Would this be an adequate system?

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core 2 Duo - 2400

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium - Yuck, I'm going to try to find one with XP

15.4 screen

500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

4 gigs of ram

DVD/RW

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Video

That's fine.
I have similar.
This thread will go on all day!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i run vista home premium on my laptop and run corel/photopaint no prob....i've actually very limited issues with vista....not sure if you're using this for running machines or not...i understand that that's where a lot of the issues are...

sarge

we have 4 dell laptops here .. something to consider when buying a laptop (or they are more often referred to as a notebook these days) is the chassis .. dell has a couple to choose from .. if your going to be traveling a lot then invest in the strongest one you can afford .. dropping a notebook is a very bad thing and the repair is more then had you upgraded to stronger type that may have survived that drop .. if your device is going to stay in shop mostly then you can get away with a lesser chassis .. all those nice add ons wont do a bit of good it they are broke .. my notebook has all the best stuff i could put in it a year ago .. but i have only had it out of the shop maybe 6 times in over a year so i have the cheaper notebook .. but my wife who does outside sales has the best chassis and i am glad cuz she dont care as much as i do and i know that so, she gets the one that will handle the abuse .. they other 2 notebooks we have are the cheapest dells had when we bought them 2 years ago, cuz they are used mostly by employees surfing the web and the grandkids .. operating systems we have are all xp pro .. but in 2 weeks we are going to start integrating to vista .. my son has exactly the same notebook i have except he has vista and sitting side by side he is faster then i am .. even CorelDraw X4 opens a lot faster on my sons notebook .. just a bit of triva .. laptop is a generic term for a portable computer .. these days you really cant sit and put these things on a bare lap for long .. they just get to hot on your legs .. i can hear it now .. put a towel or something to protect your legs .. then i am thinking it is now a toweltop or some such .. anyway this is my input as i am sure there is plently others .. oh and 1 more feature that is cool .. most notebooks you can hook a seperate monitor to .. this giving you 2 monitor capability which i totally enjoy