• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Install Pattern Material?

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
Heynow,
What are other people using for large installation patterns for chan letters?
My company has been using Tyvek and running it through our Sieko Colorpainter 104. We have found that on larger patterns, ones in excess of 40 feet, are not accurate. First we thought it was a printer calibration issue, but it turns out the Tyvek stretches pretty easily.

We used to use paper, but large patterns made from paper have their own issues such as ripping and water damage. We may have to go back to paper, but we dont want to if there is a better option.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try backing paper from your 48" and 60" rolls. That's what we've used for years.

MikePro

paper patterns through the plotter... mounted to coroplast/cardboard sheets (whatever is handy).

we re-use the cardboard/coroplast for future patterns. holes in the material doesn't matter, as you'll end up putting a new sheet of paper over the top anyways.

SignManiac

We use our flatbed and print the pattern on 4x8 cardboard slipsheets it stays nice and rigid

+1 same here, but...was having issues with taping to stucco walls, until we just discovered they make a brand of duct tape just for stucco and it worked great!

J Hill Designs

When I use a rigid template, I just mount it to the wall with screws in a few of the holes that need to be drilled out anyway, or just behind a letter - I'm not confident with duct tape holding up a rigid template

FS-Keith

paper patterns through the plotter... mounted to coroplast/cardboard sheets (whatever is handy).

we re-use the cardboard/coroplast for future patterns. holes in the material doesn't matter, as you'll end up putting a new sheet of paper over the top anyways.

Same here, Saves lots of time in the field and great in high wind weather conditions.

Last edited by a moderator: