• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED Box Sign Hot Spots - Diffuser Ideas?

Speedsterbeast

I just installed an LED back lit box for a client. They are complaining that it shows hot spots (you can see the LED lights individually behind the translucent face) I've read tutorials on how to prevent this by proper spacing and other techniques, but I bought this box from a supplier. Does anyone know of any tricks to combat this issue after the fact? I'm thinking of draping a sheet of translucent media between the light and the face in the box. But I'm concerned that it would attract dirt because I will have to remove the backing paper and exposing the adhesive side. Any ideas or experience with this out there?

Thanks for reading this thread!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
  • Is the box single or double sided ??
  • How much distance is between the face and the LEDs ??
  • What color is the inside of the whole box ??
Did you test it before you put it up ??

Marlene

If you bought the box from a supplier, tell them that there are hot spots and ask them to fix it. With that said, did you make the face that is in the cabinet or did it come with one? If you made it what did you use? White acrylic or lexan or did you start with clear?

Speedsterbeast

If you bought the box from a supplier, tell them that there are hot spots and ask them to fix it. With that said, did you make the face that is in the cabinet or did it come with one? If you made it what did you use? White acrylic or lexan or did you start with clear?

I am isolated from the supplier, so demanding a fix from them is not an easy way to do it. And I used sign-white acrylic with translucent film as I've always done.

Marlene

I am isolated from the supplier, so demanding a fix from them is not an easy way to do it. And I used sign-white acrylic with translucent film as I've always done.

Have you bought from this supplier before with no issues? As long as the cabinet was set up for a flat face and not a pan, you shouldn't be seeing hot spots. I still would go after them to pay for any fixes you have to do to make it work.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I second using the diffuser. We have a couple boxes that we change tenant signs on regularly that we use them on and it works great.

KMC

Graphic Artist
install a full coverage white translucent vinyl on the back side that should help with the hot spots

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The size and depth of the box is critical to LED selection and spacing, as is whether a pan face is used or not. I totally agree with "Marlene" regarding who should pay to fix this.

That said, I can't tell you how many times I have seen people put flat faces on signs designed for pans. In my small town I can point out dozens of examples. It is an ignorant mistake and there is no excuse for it.

I look at it this way: a sign company that repeatedly does this is incompetent and will be out of business soon. A client that insists on saving a few dollars with a flat face will also likely be out of business soon. Either way, a competent and professional sign company that does things right comes out ahead, either by less competition or a new sales opportunity.

Note: there are ways to retro-fit flat faces onto a sign that was designed for pans, but this case involves a sign exhibiting hot spots, indicating, to me at least, that not too much thought went in to it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Size, depth, colors and a myriad of other components are always involved when making anything. However, most times the customer doesn't know any better and just settles for whatever they are given, just to save a buck.

:thread Not to railroad this thread, but how many times have we heard or been involved with someone who says....... oh, it's only a temporary banner for my grand opening. I'll replace it soon. 5 years later, the raggedy old banner is still flapping around in the wind. There are so many excuses to put out lousy work and so many shops are willing do it. It's quite pathetic.​

unclebun

The size and depth of the box is critical to LED selection and spacing, as is whether a pan face is used or not. I totally agree with "Marlene" regarding who should pay to fix this.

That said, I can't tell you how many times I have seen people put flat faces on signs designed for pans. In my small town I can point out dozens of examples. It is an ignorant mistake and there is no excuse for it.

I look at it this way: a sign company that repeatedly does this is incompetent and will be out of business soon. A client that insists on saving a few dollars with a flat face will also likely be out of business soon. Either way, a competent and professional sign company that does things right comes out ahead, either by less competition or a new sales opportunity.

Note: there are ways to retro-fit flat faces onto a sign that was designed for pans, but this case involves a sign exhibiting hot spots, indicating, to me at least, that not too much thought went in to it.

Around here I lose bids all the time because I bid pan faces for a sign made for them. The winner invariably puts in flat. Love being able to count the number of fluorescent bulbs still working without opening the cabinet though...:p