• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering metallic on stained wood

Feldspar

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be lettering metallic gold onto stained wood. I worked a long time mixing the stain to the exact right gray/blue color to match my customer's business identity.
The wood is soaking up the paint and I can't get a good coat without priming first.

Is there a clear primer/sealer I can put down first that won't change the color of the stain?
This will be hung indoors so it doesn't have to be weather proof.

Thanks,

F

lettering_on_stained_wood.jpg

Eric H

So you're lettering in the top and bottom sections? I would varnish that entire section. How did you get the red to cover without soaking in? I probably would have cleared the whole panel before any painting.

Feldspar

So you're lettering in the top and bottom sections? I would varnish that entire section. How did you get the red to cover without soaking in? I probably would have cleared the whole panel before any painting.

Yes. I underbased the red with two coats of white oil-based primer. Clear coating the whole thing would have worked as long as it didn't affect the color if the stain too much. I could still do it now at any point I guess which would work like a clear primer. Just don't want the wood to get too dark from soaking up all the clear coat.

I have clear coated with Flat Ceramithane before on dyed wood with very little darkening. Never painted on it though.

Last edited:

Jillbeans

I just lettered a small honours board that I stained first, and I cleared it with Minwax Spar Polyurethene. It did not change the color of my stain, only enhanced it.
I lettered it with Ronan gold ultraleaf waterbased, and I did have to double-coat it.
You will have to seal that with something or it will act like a sponge.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• honours.jpg
    honours.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 228