• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lexan or Plexi?

GVP

Greetings!

Can someone refresh my memory as to how to tell if an unknown sheet is polycarbonate (lexan) or acrylic (plexi)? I seem to recall it involves cutting a small sliver off with a knife - if it slices off clean, it's lexan - if it comes off as chips, it's acrylic. Can someone tell me if that's correct?

Thanks!

sfr table hockey

Greetings!

Can someone refresh my memory as to how to tell if an unknown sheet is polycarbonate (lexan) or acrylic (plexi)? I seem to recall it involves cutting a small sliver off with a knife - if it slices off clean, it's lexan - if it comes off as chips, it's acrylic. Can someone tell me if that's correct?

Thanks!

Yes you are right. If you try to cut a sliver the plexi will crackle as you cut where as the lexan will cut clean and could even bend the slivers without breaking. Just tried a scrap of plexi with a blade and you can't really cut a sliver off. Sound like running your fingernails down a chalk board.