• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

License to make and sell vehicle manufacturer's decals

IGraphicsPA

Hi everyone, I am trying to find out how to get licensed to make and sell vehicle manufacturer's decals. I haven't had much luck with online reaserch. Phoenixgraphix.com has a license to do so and I've have clients bring decals and decal kits from them to my shop for us to install. Having that license would really increase our business capabilities!
Thanks!:banghead:

IGraphicsPA

Yes I am trying to get licensed for it, well I would like to but I can't find any good info on how too. So I"m asking, does anyone know or have a license for producing copyright decals by vehicle manufacture's? How do I get my hands on that special piece of paper or whaever they give you to do this??
You know examples, make and be able to sell chevrolet decals, ford decals, etc., etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna be nice one more time to you, sjm. Whether or not you are a citizen of this country or this hemisphere..... you better stop sticking your fat head in where it doesn't belong.

He is located geographically about 25 miles or so to the southeast of me. It was his/her first post and I was merely being neighborly.... something I find you lack :thread

Bigdawg

Just Me
Interstate - you need to contact each manufacturer's licensing division. They all have one... but the odds of actually acquiring that license at a price that will make it cost effective are very small.

8 years ago the price to license the Nascar logo for a product started at $150,000 upfront plus a percentage of the sales. I would imagine the car manufacturer's would be even more.

sjm

I'm gonna be nice one more time to you, sjm. Whether or not you are a citizen of this country or this hemisphere..... you better stop sticking your fat head in where it doesn't belong.

He is located geographically about 25 miles or so to the southeast of me. It was his/her first post and I was merely being neighborly.... something I find you lack :thread

Hey Gino, sorry to disagree with your tripe. You could have said if you need my help I am 25 miles near you.

Though, English is not you first language, I suspect?

IGraphicsPA

Haha ok, thanks for the greeting, but seriously, I'm on here for something important. I need professional info. Thank you Bigdawg, I assumed that there would be money involved, but I'd rather put out the cash than get my ass handed to me by the owner of the copyrighted material. It would boost my sales etc. Do you know anything more on the subject?

IGraphicsPA

Thanks Bigdawg, my question came a little late you answered it before I asked. haha You think it would really be that hard? I will look into it more. But if you ever have any more infor in the future, give me a shout. Thanks!

weaselboogie

Hey Gino, sorry to disagree with your tripe. You could have said if you need my help I am 25 miles near you.

Though, English is not you first language, I suspect?

Again, I'll reiterate. This is the OP first post; Gino was welcoming him (which is fairly common to do on this board) and pointing out a geographical similarity. They're called manners. Let me introduce you to them.

rcook99

Well I have to ask this question. What is stopping you from creating your own stripe kits for the same cars? I mean if someone comes to you and asks you to stripe a 2010 camaro why not measure and make the stripes yourself. I would not say you are breaking any copyright laws you created the artwork from scratch. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I do realize that you are not going to be able to use the super bee emblem but as far as just stripes go I don't see an issue.

IGraphicsPA

Well yeah, I can do striping. But I don't want to be limited to that. An example, I have a client who wants the bird on his hood of his trans. I cannot reproduce that without stepping on some toes and breaking rules.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Let this Op get his answers from the other posters without letting sjm taking yet another thread down the tubes.

CheapVehicleWrap

That "little piece of paper" is going to cost you many pieces of paper that I'm quite sure you won't part with. In other words, to save you a TON of time... switch focus.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Major brand licensing typically involves:

• A six figure advance payment.
  • Prior approval of each and every item you want to produce with samples submitted.
Unless you are going to be mass marketing, it is doubtful that anything will come of your inquiries.