• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lights for a sign cabinet

showcase 66

After replacing a sign face yesterday, I was asked if I could replace the florescent tubes in the side that I just did. I took the sign out to measure the tube assuming it would be 4' but the tube in there measures 61". Have not seen one of this size before. I have had 18" 2' 3' 4' 8' before but not 61".

The owner of the building said that he had a falling out with the sign company who used to work on all of their signs. I called that company up to see if they had any lights I could buy from them and as soon as I said the size they knew the job it was for and refused to sell them to me.

Any idea where to get them.

Thanks

J Hill Designs

wouldnt they just be F60T12 CW/HO? nominal lamp sizes differ from actual measurements

scratch that - its probably an F64T12 CW/HO

showcase 66

wouldnt they just be F60T12 CW/HO? nominal lamp sizes differ from actual measurements

scratch that - its probably an F64T12 CW/HO

I took it to a local place here where I usually get my lights from but he said it was an odd size. Cant read any of the numbers on it either.

I am wondering if it is to old to really be replacing just the lights.

Custom Bob

I called that company up to see if they had any lights I could buy from them and as soon as I said the size they knew the job it was for and refused to sell them to me.
So much for a Brotherhood in the Trade.
I would call this company back and ask them for a quote on 4 or 5 lighted signs valued around a $20,000+ job. Then after they give you the estimate, I would say..."ohhh wait a minute. Your the guys that wouldn't sell me a couple cheap light bulbs. Sorry...I'll take my needs else where."
Just to get some satisfaction.

Mosh

Not an odd size, I have a box sitting here in our shop. We stock 2'-3'-4'-5'-6'-8' lamps, and always have several ballasts sizes and sockets (both normal and tombstone) To be in the sign biz you have to have some sign stuff in stock.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're servicing an electric sign because the lamps are out, be sure to smell the ballast. No, just test it and be sure its not bad. A good ballast will last about 10 to 12 years. Ask the guy, while you have it apart, it's cheaper to change everything out, instead of getting paid to come back and put a ballast in if its already bad. Also, clean the sign from mold/mildew and get rid of insect nests and any other debris that collected in there over time.

This brings me to another question.... are you qualified to properly service an electric sign ??

This isn't a joke, but if you're up there to replace bulbs, you're taking the position of being an electrician/technician. While a electrician would put his meter on a ballast, check wiring for possible frays or damaged areas, bad tombstones or any other problems.... if something happens a week from now... 6 months from now..... you'll be asked what you were doing up there and since you were the last person touching it.... why you didn't report any problems ??

Not knowing lamp sizes is nothing new, but should be know by any normal electrical sign guy, but to let a sign go unattended is negligence in some places. Be careful and make sure your covered for anything that might go wrong.

Marlene

So much for a Brotherhood in the Trade

no need for another sign shop to supply the new shop with what they need to do a job that the old shop used to do. I know I'd be ticked off if we lost a job and then had the other shop call up as they can't get the bulbs to do it. since you don't know the real reasons why they aren't using the old company anymore, not a good idea to call them for help. some times the "falling out" was because the customer didn't pay his bill or something else customer related.

iSign

no need for another sign shop to supply the new shop with what they need to do a job that the old shop used to do. I know I'd be ticked off if we lost a job and then had the other shop call up as they can't get the bulbs to do it. since you don't know the real reasons why they aren't using the old company anymore, not a good idea to call them for help. some times the "falling out" was because the customer didn't pay his bill or something else customer related.

good point!

showcase 66

F64T12 CW/HO are 61" confirmed

Thanks. I called the local guy I usually use for around here and he said it was only 60" but didnt have any on hand. I found a place in Vegas that will have them here tomorrow.

So much for a Brotherhood in the Trade.
I would call this company back and ask them for a quote on 4 or 5 lighted signs valued around a $20,000+ job. Then after they give you the estimate, I would say..."ohhh wait a minute. Your the guys that wouldn't sell me a couple cheap light bulbs. Sorry...I'll take my needs else where."
Just to get some satisfaction.

I guess bad blood between the owner and the sign shop. Usually they are easy to work with and have done things for them as well as they have done things for me. Bad situation I guess.

If you're servicing an electric sign because the lamps are out, be sure to smell the ballast. No, just test it and be sure its not bad. A good ballast will last about 10 to 12 years. Ask the guy, while you have it apart, it's cheaper to change everything out, instead of getting paid to come back and put a ballast in if its already bad. Also, clean the sign from mold/mildew and get rid of insect nests and any other debris that collected in there over time.

This brings me to another question.... are you qualified to properly service an electric sign ??

This isn't a joke, but if you're up there to replace bulbs, you're taking the position of being an electrician/technician. While a electrician would put his meter on a ballast, check wiring for possible frays or damaged areas, bad tombstones or any other problems.... if something happens a week from now... 6 months from now..... you'll be asked what you were doing up there and since you were the last person touching it.... why you didn't report any problems ??

Not knowing lamp sizes is nothing new, but should be know by any normal electrical sign guy, but to let a sign go unattended is negligence in some places. Be careful and make sure your covered for anything that might go wrong.

According to the owner of the building, new ballasts were put in about 2 years ago. Still could be bad but more than likely not. Already cleaned out the cabinet from everything.

I have serviced cabinets before but it has been a while. Last time was probably 4 years ago and I got a little zap. Knocked me off the ladder. I usually dont do the electrical but when I do, I have my buddies electric company do that part. He is going to stop by in the morning to check everything out for me.

Thanks for the help

showcase 66

Usually this shop and I help each other out. I have lost clients to him and him to me. I never told them what job it was for, he guessed it.

As it turns out. The sign shop is owned to the future Ex Son-in-la to the building owner. There is the falling out. If I would have known that in the first place, I wouldnt have even tried.