• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

little program to figure square footage

Drip Dry

Years ago I had a little batch program that figured square footage.
You put in height and width in inches and it told you the square footage.
It only ran in early windows and has long been lost.

It's easy when you need 24" x 24' but it's a little more difficult when it's 23" x 42"
My girl just can't seem to get it... and sometimes me.

Anyone know of something

thanks

kheebl

Rick thanks for the link I just bought the program, Now i am trying to figure out how to download it

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you have an Apple watch you can activate Siri and just yell at your wrist.
Might look odd but is supposed to work.....

wayne k
guam usa

J Hill Designs

ive just gotten used to opening the calc and doing (HxW [in inches]) / 144

but you can make a quick excel page and easily do it if you need to

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Here is an excel spreadsheet I made for calculating sqft imputing inches.

Attachments

• SQFT.zip
    8.2 KB · Views: 114

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I am awestruck at the level of innumeracy constantly on display, not only in these waters, but most everywhere else as well. If you need an automated algorithm to calculate area for simple geometric constructions, you are well and truly an idiot. You are a danger to yourself and those around you.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
23"x42"/144=6.7 is to hard to do and you need a program ? :banghead:

It gets harder when you have to show your (common core) work:

The lattice (or box) method is a great way to keep the places straight.
Have the students create a 2 x 2 grid and put the numbers they are multiplying on the top and side.
To fill in the grid, multiply the number above and to the left.

For example: 23 x 14:

2 3

1 | 2 | 3 |

4 | 8+1 | 2 |

Then draw diagonal lines (top right to bottom left) to show how to add

the digits are 2, 8+1+3, 2 or 2, 12, 2 which becomes 322

CMYKprnt

I am awestruck at the level of innumeracy constantly on display, not only in these waters, but most everywhere else as well. If you need an automated algorithm to calculate area for simple geometric constructions, you are well and truly an idiot. You are a danger to yourself and those around you.

Bob - don't be one of those people. Not sure what you gain by being an A**. I am sure you look like an idiot at times too.

here is the excel formula

=(input length cell#*input width cell number)/144.

example =(b4*c4)/144

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Obviously a rectangle is easy enough to figure out...

I deal with calculating square footages all the time, most are a combination of squares, rectangles circles ovals and type. With ascenders and descenders I have to draw the overall size... yes, I can figure it out on paper... or look over at "AREA" in CADTracker and know it instantly. It's better use of my time than scrawling it out on paper or getting my calculator. Been doing this before computers... I have the computer do the drawing for pete's sake, whats the big deal in having it do my dimensioning.

player

You lost me on "innumeracy".

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If your calculating the sqft. of one rectangle, a program or spreadsheet is a waste of time, but most of the time there are more than one. Much easier to use an excel spreadsheet when calculating the sqft. of a vehicle wrap with sides x2, front and rear bumpers, hood, roof, trunk, perf...