• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

little program to figure square footage

Z SIGNS

I am so glad that I don't need to know how many sq footsies a job is.
My work is not based on that and I feel sorry for those who think that way.
To me that puts you on the level of a deli clerk selling sliced ham by the pound

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't everyone here deals with square signs...

Most sign people who deal with city/codes/permits usually have restrictions on square footage. We try to give our clients the appropriate size sign, and occasionally with restrictions, the largest sign we can put. (See image below)

It's obvious squares are easy...

What's great about software solution is we can glance over to see our square footage, especially on complex borders change the proportion to a maximum square footage without picking up a piece of paper of a calculator. If you all feel the need to go old school, why not do it all the way...throw the computer out, send over some smoke signals, and see what happens with a hand drawn submittal all figured out on your abbacus when it's time to run it on the router... more power to ya!

Attachments

• S101 AREA.jpg
    S101 AREA.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 78

OldPaint

most of the sq ft calc i do is for RTA vinyl. i use 24" wide vinly so its 2 X whatever length i have of plotted/cut vinyl. how hard can this be?????? got 10 LINEAL FEET OF 24" WIDE VINYL=20 SQ FT. DUHHHHHHHHHHHH.
X $$$$$ amount for each sq ft...........iam with bob...........here...........but then i also worked as a draftsman & had to do a lot of sq ft calc work............most of it is so simple to remember. 12 X 12 feet or inch.......will get you 144.....on the other end. got a 6 X 6? whats half of 144? 72! over the years i used SQ FT pricing. got it down to a simple method. can give you estimate .........without any pencil of paper.........do it in my brain.
ex: got a 4 X 8 panel. 2 sides.........ok?
4 x 8=32
for both sides 64, just double the end $$$$ for the 32 sf figures)))

32 x $10 sf=$320 just take the number of SF add a zero on to it for $10 sf. so you dont want to chage $10 sf...........ok $5 sf, cut the $320 in half $160. you want to charge $7.50 sf............cut the $160 in half=$80, add that $80 to the $160=$240))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
and math was never my strong suite.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
OldPaint;1254464[COLOR="#D3D3D3" said:
most of the sq ft calc i do is for RTA vinyl. i use 24" wide vinly so its 2 X whatever length i have of plotted/cut vinyl. how hard can this be?????? got 10 LINEAL FEET OF 24" WIDE VINYL=20 SQ FT. DUHHHHHHHHHHHH.
X $$$$$ amount for each sq ft...........iam with bob...........here...........but then i also worked as a draftsman & had to do a lot of sq ft calc work............most of it is so simple to remember. [/COLOR]12 X 12 feet or inch.......will get you 144.....on the other end. got a 6 X 6? whats half of 144? 72! over the years i used SQ FT pricing. got it down to a simple method. can give you estimate .........without any pencil of paper.........do it in my brain.
ex: got a 4 X 8 panel. 2 sides.........ok?
4 x 8=32
for both sides 64, just double the end $$$$ for the 32 sf figures)))

32 x $10 sf=$320 just take the number of SF add a zero on to it for $10 sf. so you dont want to chage $10 sf...........ok $5 sf, cut the $320 in half $160. you want to charge $7.50 sf............cut the $160 in half=$80, add that $80 to the $160=$240))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

and math was never my strong suite.

Well Euclid, 6x6 is 36 or .25 ft^2 not 72 or .5 ft^2. There in your practical guide to geometry using your fingers it should be noted that it takes four 6x6 squares to cover one 12x12 square. That's what it means when someone says that area varies on the square. Just to be complete, volume varies on the cube.

hardlyjw

Flexi has this feature in Edit>Job Estimation & Edit>Job Statistics if you happen to still be looking for an alternative.

Craig Sjoquist

Why would ya need a program for square footage, is that not simple geometry learned in 5-7 grade depending & used almost daily in the sign industry for simple questions like how much vinyl will ya or did use & how big the sign is.

Now maybe if ya doing huge amounts of math & ya like a PC to do your thinking just for speed if possible but to me the PC is slow because ya got to put all that info in, when writing down I am just as fast if not faster on simple stuff.

Sad thing about PCs people think & solve alot less.

OldPaint

like i said math was not my strong suite...........12 X 12=144............was right, i shoulda said 12 X 6= 72 is half of 144...........................not 6 X 6

Bly

Oh yeah I remember feet and inches.

Way to make the simplest of things way more complicated than necessary.

Marlene

two pages to this? is there really that much a need for a program? it is simple math. not sure how other programs work but in Omega, you just click on the object and under "size" it has the areea in square inches, just divide by 144 and that is the square footage.

Attachments

• sq inches.jpg
    sq inches.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 67

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Just for giggles, here's a macro for CorelDRAW X7 that does Sq Ft but can be modified for mm or cm etc.

Sub AreaOfShape()
ActiveDocument.Unit = cdrInch

MsgBox Round(ActiveShape.DisplayCurve.Area, 2) & " Sq In"
End Sub

shoresigns

I remember this... what an epic thread! Seriously, write "W x H / 144 = ___ sqft" on a Post-It and stick it to your monitor.