• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lobby directory plaque blanks

gnubler

Looking for blank inserts for a couple of directory signs. Insert 1 is a thin flexible strip attached with 2-sided tape, brushed silver face 30x1.625". Insert 2 is a sturdier piece with beveled edges 18x1", brushed silver face with clips on the back to snap into the sign. I'm going to letter them with cut vinyl.

Where can I order a small quantity of blanks like this and have them cut to size? Former tenants moved out and decided to keep their plaques so there's a number of blank slots now.

Attachments

• 20211123_145559.jpg
    20211123_145559.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 20211123_144811.jpg
    20211123_144811.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 188

Johnny Best

You can buy a sheet of 3mm ACM with brushed aluminum back and white face. Cut strips with table saw or by hand using razor blade. The one with the clips, looks like brushed aluminum is attached to a acrylic piece and check bottom and sides to see manufacture label to purchase clips, or make an adaption of it to work.

gnubler

The existing lettering is cut vinyl. I don't think the inserts with the clips are acrylic, here's a closeup shot of an edge. No way can I do a beveled edge like that and have it match what's up there now.

3mm ACM would be much too thick to blend in with the existing plaques on the larger board. The strips up there now are really thin and flexible, like 1/16" thick at most.

20211123_144752.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Take some shelf liner paper, paint it with a silver rattle can and paste you black vinyl on it. ))))))))))))))))))))))))) Crabby ol' farts do it the hard way.

Z SIGNS

Sounds like you can do whatever you want here. Some panels are this and some are that.
The panels are brushed somethinorothers. You get it from a sign supplier in sheets and slice it to size, slap your stickie on along with some double stickie on the back and you are on your way.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
Looks like you could do either aluminum cut pieces from Gemini, or laser cut brushed aluminum plastic laminate for your substrate (Johnson Plastics). I wouldn’t sweat matching things exactly. Do the best you can and let the customer know it will not be a perfect match.

visual800

get some 1/4" pvc and place brushed aluminum on top with vinyl lettering. I am of course guessing on the 1/4" thickness

gnubler

Why not go for brushed aluminum vinyl on acrylic? I think avery has a good, stiff version.
This is what I'm working on now. I found sources for the brushed silver top layer - comes in large sheets with adhesive back and I can cut down to size. The challenge with the acrylic part is that they're beveled and have cut outs on the back where plastic clips go to snap into the sign. Can't find them anywhere, maybe originally came as an off the shelf kit?

All this for one tiny little nameplate.

CanuckSigns

This is what I'm working on now. I found sources for the brushed silver top layer - comes in large sheets with adhesive back and I can cut down to size. The challenge with the acrylic part is that they're beveled and have cut outs on the back where plastic clips go to snap into the sign. Can't find them anywhere, maybe originally came as an off the shelf kit?

All this for one tiny little nameplate.
Oh they just need 1? Tell them you can't help, you would never be able to charge enough money to make it worth your while

gnubler

It's more involved than that. Several plaques missing from the smaller sign, kept as souvenirs or who knows. I'm considering using tape to mount the new plaques so they don't disappear again.
And I was asked to redo the larger sign, it's all out of order. So it's mostly labor and a learning experience on how to deal with directory signs (or not). I'm still new and stupid enough to take pretty much any job that comes my way, just for the experience.

gnubler

This directory is back in my life again. Customer is requesting a new directory on a different floor of the building, similar to the existing one. A few images are posted below.
Dimensions of the new directory will need to be around 24" wide x 32" tall. Tamper proof name plaques, cut vinyl lettering.
The existing directory looks bad...too many hands have been on it over the years, plaques have been stolen and reproduced with various materials (which is what I was tasked to do when it fell into my hands), lettering doesn't line up. I'm going to try to sell them two new directories so they both match, and easier to update if plaques go missing. The plaques on the current directory snap into the backer with plastic clips (as described upthread). I ended up using 2-sided tape to mount the new plaques.

Any recommendations on a wholesale vendor who supplies displays like this? Looking for some ideas and whether I should outsource it or put something together myself.
20230613_165510.jpg 20230613_165531.jpg 20230613_165556.jpg 20230613_165629.jpg

White Haus

Not a Newbie
This directory is back in my life again. Customer is requesting a new directory on a different floor of the building, similar to the existing one. A few images are posted below.
Dimensions of the new directory will need to be around 24" wide x 32" tall. Tamper proof name plaques, cut vinyl lettering.
The existing directory looks bad...too many hands have been on it over the years, plaques have been stolen and reproduced with various materials (which is what I was tasked to do when it fell into my hands), lettering doesn't line up. I'm going to try to sell them two new directories so they both match, and easier to update if plaques go missing. The plaques on the current directory snap into the backer with plastic clips (as described upthread). I ended up using 2-sided tape to mount the new plaques.

Any recommendations on a wholesale vendor who supplies displays like this? Looking for some ideas and whether I should outsource it or put something together myself.
View attachment 165764 View attachment 165765 View attachment 165766 View attachment 165767

Ugh. I despise directory updates!! You're right about lots of hands being on them over the years. Probably because most shops hate this type of work.......and I'm one of them.

If you can sell them a whole new one....... https://www.clarkesystems.com/modular-slatz-vinyl/

Good luck :thumb:

gnubler

"Slatz" makes them sound gangsta. :rock-n-roll:
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm checking with Howard Industries also to see what they can do.

I'm not a fan of directories either. Every one I've dealt with turns into a problem job, it seems. I don't want to turn this one down, though. Customer isn't cheap.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just finished one where we hadda match an existing directory system in a rather large building. Finally tracked it down, placed the order and hadda wait a few weeks til they came in. They finally came in and I was looking through the box, the packing material and inside the frames for the blank plaques...... no could find. Called them and she said, oh, we don't supply the blanks. Huh ?? No, you hafta do that. Are you fuckin' serious, lady ?? Yes. I hadda scramble and make the panels and match colors and whatnot. Won't mention names, but I'll never recommend them.

Now, I just got an e-mail from a good contractor customer of ours who needs a complete directory for a school. This thing is gonna add up R E A L fast. I like directories and all the crap that goes with it.

JBurton

Signtologist
I like directories if I'm making them, if they are to match existing, I just produce one quote for a matching system that exceeds the cost of a pair of brand new ones. About a year ago I had 3 to make for a bank, using wood from a contractor that made the building. When I saw a piece of wood was costing me $1,000, I jacked up the cost on the signage that went with it, and ended up taking 20k for all 3.
An engraver is nice, but you can order almost everything for a directory, or have someone like Howard do it all and you just throw on some white gloves, act like you're inspecting the sh*t out of it, hang it, and take the check home.